Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
What's the weirdest gift you got?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5 20  21  22  Next

amother

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 10:18 pm
Chocoholic wrote:
Amother: do you mean clothes' hangers? I WISH my MIL would have given my DH those.....
We really could use 'em well!!!!

Yes clothes hangers all 5 of them. I guess some ppl would love a gift like that??? Confused

amother

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 10:22 pm
For our first Valentine's Day as a married couple my husband bought me a hand-held vacuum cleaner. How's that for romance? He still blushes when we reminisce.

queen

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 10:24 pm
mimivan wrote:
A date once gave me a little bottle of bubbles with a wand. He said it was because I made a remark on the last date that he considered childish, and since I was so childish, I should spend my time sitting and blowing bubbles....

obviously, I never went out with him again.

shock

GAMZu

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 11:51 pm
The hysterically funny:
Quote:

A lucite chip and dip with our names and Jewish stars engraved all over it

My brother got a stuffed dog (or was it a bear?) wearing a santa hat for his bar mitzvah!

For my bat mitzva my aunt gave me a wooden bracelet that said babies first bracelet hello it was my bat mitzva which means I was 12.

I got a wedding day barbie at my bridal shower.

The totally weird:
Quote:
A "rag doll" that looks like a rabbi and is hollow inside so that you can keep it in your kitchen and stuff plastic grocery bags inside to recycle (this was explained in the card)

A Jewish holiday cookbook (with treif recipes)

That would be the Othello toby jug we received for our wedding.

Secon my MIL who is very yeshivish gave me for my kids for chanuka a gift certificate to go get their picture taken on santa's lap at the mall uh hello what am I supposed to do with that.

A pair of weird cufflinks. The cufflinks have what look like writhing human bodies on them.

A date once gave me a little bottle of bubbles with a wand. He said it was because I made a remark on the last date that he considered childish, and since I was so childish, I should spend my time sitting and blowing bubbles....

My MIL also brings stuff over, not as presents but old stuff she first wants to see if we need. Rolling Eyes
Once she brought HUGE bags full of her and FIL's old... SHOES. shock Yes, she did. Besides for the fact that I refuse to wear used shoes, she is a size and a half smaller than me and she knows it. Confused
And FIL wears all types of sandals. Did they not notice that their son only wears black lace-up shoes? Or do they think canvas camouflage-print open toe sandals would look good with a lange rekel? What

Another time MIL bought a coat for her teenage daughter in GAP. It was a nice, warm and expensive coat, but the hood had pink lining, so SIL didn't want it. MIL generously brought it to us because she lost the receipt and couldn't return it for money back.
This is a child-sized girls' coat. I'm not child sized. I don't have any girls that will soon be entering their teens.
Maybe I'll sell it here, on Imamother classifieds. Wink Still has a tag and all. Tongue Out

Rutabaga

Post Thu, Jul 17 2008, 12:39 am
mimivan wrote:
Rutabaga wrote:
We got an antique-looking bell on a rope as a wedding present. We still can't figure out why or what we are supposed to do with it.

We grew up in the country and had someting like that...it was our dinner bell...my mom would ring it and say "Come and get it!"

Wouldn't really work in an urban setting, though...(don't know where you live rutabaga) or even in the suburbs..perhaps it is just decoration

I currently live in a house in the suburbs, although we started out in an apartment in a very Jewish building. Dh used to joke that he should go up and down the halls an hour before Shabbos ringing the "Shabbos bell" as a reminder/warning. He never did though. We lived in a tiny apt (a studio), so we left most of our wedding presents at our parents until we moved. We were fascinated by the bell and thought it would be a great conversation piece, so we made room for it in the apt.

brooklyngrl

Post Thu, Jul 17 2008, 3:59 am
The weidest gift someone gave us was a alarm clock and some special addition rubiks cube for a wedding present...We keep it in our breakfront ... Does anyone get some joke I missed? Rolling Eyes

catonmylap

Post Thu, Jul 17 2008, 4:59 am
Our worst wedding gift was a hideous huge door knocker with our name on it.

We never hung it up. We left it behind when we moved back from Canada to Israel, and unfortunately someone brought it back to us because they thought we wouldn't have wanted to leave it behind.....lol

I'll take a picture if I can find it...no idea where we hid it.

mimivan

Post Thu, Jul 17 2008, 5:08 am
Hey, catonmylap! I gave you that! Don't you remember?

LOL

greentiger

Post Thu, Jul 17 2008, 6:17 am
Nothing too weird that I can think of cept a wedding gift we got which was 3 sterling silver hamentashen. No offence to whoever gave them but I really have no clue what they are for. We ended up having a use for them finally this past purim when we hosted a purim party we put them on the table as decorations but otherwise they just sit on the bookcase because I don't know what else to do with them.

freidasima

Post Thu, Jul 17 2008, 7:13 am
Cat You remind me of a wedding gift that we got from a cousin in America...she gave it to us when we were in the states after the wedding...and we didn't have room to take it home and couldn't figure out what it was either...and we left it as my bil and sil's house..we thought they would enjoy it....so lo and behold they kept it for us...and gave it to us years later on our next trip there! We had to take it home and now it sits next to where I bench lecht as a reminder that things come back to haunt you!

amother

Post Thu, Jul 17 2008, 9:29 am
Ok, so when we were in our sheva brachos week, me and DH were at my mom going through some presents . Someone knocked at the door, and my brother went to get it. It was someone with another present for us. I opened the box- and it was lingerei!!!! A coral pink and black affair embarrassed embarrassed
My brother has no idea who idea who it was, and it didn't come with a card...

To this day we are still trying to figure out who the lady in a brown sheital about my mom's age could have been that gave us that for a wedding present LOL What a coward- she didn't even tell us who she was Twisted Evil

flowerpower

Post Thu, Jul 17 2008, 9:32 am
A close family memeber gave me something to hang in dd's room. Besides for it being green(my worst color) and big it clashes to the pink walls and decorations. I would love it to stay out of the room. The family member is so proud of it and keeps asking when I will hang it up. She keeps saying what a great gift she got and how she loves it. I always telling her that when someone handy comes by I make sure that person will hang it up. The worst part is that it was far from cheap.

greentiger

Post Thu, Jul 17 2008, 9:44 am
amother wrote:
Ok, so when we were in our sheva brachos week, me and DH were at my mom going through some presents . Someone knocked at the door, and my brother went to get it. It was someone with another present for us. I opened the box- and it was lingerei!!!! A coral pink and black affair embarrassed embarrassed
My brother has no idea who idea who it was, and it didn't come with a card...

To this day we are still trying to figure out who the lady in a brown sheital about my mom's age could have been that gave us that for a wedding present LOL What a coward- she didn't even tell us who she was Twisted Evil

Maybe it was your brother playing a practical joke on you Twisted Evil

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Jul 17 2008, 9:47 am
flowerpower wrote:
A close family memeber gave me something to hang in dd's room. Besides for it being green(my worst color) and big it clashes to the pink walls and decorations. I would love it to stay out of the room. The family member is so proud of it and keeps asking when I will hang it up. She keeps saying what a great gift she got and how she loves it. I always telling her that when someone handy comes by I make sure that person will hang it up. The worst part is that it was far from cheap.

Isn't that the worst? Someone gives you a lousy gift and then every time they come by they check on it. "Where's the ____ I got you? Do you use it a lot? Aren't you loving it?"

downsyndrome

Post Thu, Jul 17 2008, 9:50 am
greentiger wrote:
Nothing too weird that I can think of cept a wedding gift we got which was 3 sterling silver hamentashen. No offence to whoever gave them but I really have no clue what they are for. We ended up having a use for them finally this past purim when we hosted a purim party we put them on the table as decorations but otherwise they just sit on the bookcase because I don't know what else to do with them.

Those belong in curio cabinets along with other silver miniatures. We have silver mini hamanteschen, silver mini Har Sinai, silver mini esrog box, etc.
But hey, I didn't give you that gift Wink .

Strawberry

Post Thu, Jul 17 2008, 9:59 am
I can fill a book with all the odd gifts we got. The one that takes the cake is......A SET OF POTS WITH THE UPC CUT OUT OF THE BOX! shock Exploding anger shock I wanted to return it (we got it a while after our wedding and I already had pots) but then noticed the missing upc. They must have gotten a rebate. Hey it's possible to give gifts for free if you get a rebate Very Happy . Verrrrry odd.

Zus

Post Thu, Jul 17 2008, 10:01 am
We got this weird copper candle holder, the kind that they used to put single candles in before they had electricity: fit for a single candle with a little ear to hold it so you can carry it around. Weird weird present.

Zus

Post Thu, Jul 17 2008, 10:03 am
Something like this:

Mimisinger

Post Thu, Jul 17 2008, 10:05 am
For my wedding from my mother's cousin -

2 parts -
Part 1 - For me (I suppose) a jacket-ish thing, black and white with crushed velvet and white tassels. No tag, obviously old and used. Like no tag and the pseudo collar either. I would never wear this every, we just keep it for laughs. Oh and it's not really a jacket, there aer no buttons or ties or snaps, just tassels. Should I tie the tassels together? It's seriously scary.

Part 2 - for dh (DRUM ROLL PLEASE) emerald green, sequin, transparent, BOXERS in size MEDIUM (what were they thinking???) with the tag still on. From.....Fredericks of Hollywood, marked down - 4 times - to....$3.99!!!!

I have got to somehow get a picture of these things on here.

GAMZu

Post Thu, Jul 17 2008, 10:41 am
Mimi- I don't believe you about the boxers shock
Page 4 of 22   Previous  1  2  3  4  5 20  21  22  Next Recent Topics