Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
What's your BMI?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother

Post Wed, Jan 13 2010, 9:05 am
Ruchel wrote:
amother wrote:
Ruchel wrote:
amother wrote:
39.7 but really, what is BMI telling us? why is it so important?

If you're a bit overweight it doesn't mean anything but yes, a 40 bmi does tell you something very important (that for your health you should lose weight).
I am not a "bit" overweight, I am a lot overweight.

I was asking, why is BMI important, as opposed to ones regular weight, whats the big deal with BMI?

Bmi takes height into consideration. 200 lbs may sound big but on a 6' woman it's nothing special. 120 can sound tiny but on a 5' woman it's also nothing special. That's why you need bmi.
got it. im 5 ft so I know I am obese.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 13 2010, 10:42 am

amother

Post Wed, Jan 13 2010, 10:45 am
21.6 and would like to go down a bit more, but happy with this too.

Mitzvahmom

Post Wed, Jan 13 2010, 11:19 am
my BMI is 25, and I eat healthy and exercise daily. I have asked my doctor, I think a lot of my extra weight is from loose skin Sad

at one point I lost over 30 lbs, so my body is just not bouncing back.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 13 2010, 11:37 am

if u are 200 lbs and 5ft tall that is considered obese

amother

Post Wed, Jan 13 2010, 2:39 pm
When not pregnant, 17.4

I'm in the second trimester now, and it's 20.7.

I believe I'm fine!

amother

Post Wed, Jan 13 2010, 3:30 pm
This is not 100% accurate, because it does not take into account any muscle or if you are a female or male.

Sherri

Post Wed, Jan 13 2010, 3:47 pm
BMI at my "ideal" weight + 1.2

shirafruma

Post Wed, Jan 13 2010, 4:03 pm
I was a 45 and now I am a 20.1!!!!!!! YAY TO ME! (sorry for bragging!?)

mltjm

Post Wed, Jan 13 2010, 4:09 pm

amother

Post Wed, Jan 13 2010, 4:11 pm
amother wrote:

if u are 200 lbs and 5ft tall that is considered obese
I wrote that I know that I am obese, but I am just under 5 ft and just under 200 pds.

life'sgreat

Post Wed, Jan 13 2010, 7:57 pm
I see that many people have the misconception that your height matters when you 'excuse' your BMI. It isn't so. The BMI is a calculation of the ideal weight for your height. So if a 5 footer has a BMI of 30 and a 5.5 footer has a BMI of 30, they are both overweight by approximately the same percentage. The 5.5 footer weighs more than the 5 footer.

amother wrote:
life'sgreat wrote:
28.8! It used to be closer to 40 before I did lap band surgery.

OMG! You did surgery and are 28.8?? You must look amazing now. Guess I haven't seen you in a while!
Um, like, I'd love to know who you are. LOL

amother wrote:
life'sgreat wrote:
28.8! It used to be closer to 40 before I did lap band surgery.
do you think its worth it for people who are that overweight? im the amother right above whos bmi is 39.7. I know that I am considered obese, it is so hard to loose the weight, even when I am doing exercise, it just does not want to come off. it helped you a lot?
Absolutely. That overweight as opposed to less or more overweight? It helped me because I made it help me. I recognized that the lap band is only a tool and I still have to do the work. The difference is that you aren't struggling that much, and that you can IY"H keep it down with the proper work/diet.

Mitzvahmom wrote:
my BMI is 25, and I eat healthy and exercise daily. I have asked my doctor, I think a lot of my extra weight is from loose skin Sad

at one point I lost over 30 lbs, so my body is just not bouncing back.

How much does that loose skin weigh? And if you see, these are from WLS patients, which means they have a lot more loose/excess skin than the norm.

shirafruma wrote:
I was a 45 and now I am a 20.1!!!!!!! YAY TO ME! (sorry for bragging!?)

WOOOOW. Don't be sorry for bragging. I'm sure you earned it. May I ask how you lost that much weight?

amother

Post Wed, Jan 13 2010, 8:03 pm
I'm the 21.6 amother. I think it's between 21.4-21.6 based on my fluctuations. I used to be 40 lbs or more heavier and I use alternative/natural treatments and a lot of davening and hard work to lose weight. I'm somewhere between 5'7" and 5'8". No one has measured my height in years so I don't remember.

BusyBeeMommy

Post Wed, Jan 13 2010, 10:06 pm
To the poster right above me, what do you mean by "natural/alternative treatments?" To me that means eating healthy and exercising - no?

amother

Post Wed, Jan 13 2010, 10:11 pm
BB, I meant that I used homeopathy and also moved to a more natural diet.

BusyBeeMommy

Post Wed, Jan 13 2010, 10:16 pm
Just found this site with male/female BMI, and based on more specific calculations, I am 22.08% - which is classified "healthy!" Yay! I do look very trim for my build and many are surprised I'm still dieting, but I wouldn't mind reaching the "lean" classification. For those of you who have patience, try it.

BMI for Females

It's also interesting how they explain that BMI is basically the calculation for the fat percentage of your body.

BusyBeeMommy

Post Wed, Jan 13 2010, 10:18 pm
amother wrote:
BB, I meant that I used homeopathy and also moved to a more natural diet.

What kind of homeopathy? I am dieting naturally but I'd love to speed it up as much as I can, in a healthy and safe way, that is.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 13 2010, 10:24 pm
I messaged you.

lamplighter

Post Wed, Jan 13 2010, 10:33 pm
My weight has always shocked people. I weigh much more than I look. Even doctors are surprised. The lowest I've ever weighed was with a BMI of 23.4 and I was a size 2-4 and that weight is at the highest healthy weight in my height bracket. Now I am 25.5, about 10 pounds over the highest for my height bracket but if you saw me you would never believe it. I eat healthy and exercise so I wonder about all this.

Last edited by lamplighter on Thu, Jan 14 2010, 6:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

soulful music

Post Thu, Jan 14 2010, 8:58 am
amother wrote:
I messaged you.

Can you please pm me too.
I'd love to have any help possible in this difficult journey....
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise