Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Peeled onions, eggs, garlic
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Yosefa

Post Sun, Mar 20 2005, 3:26 pm
Wow, I enjoyed that little top/bottom of an onion discussion.

I have heard of the covering negel vasser thing. Can't hurt, right? As far as Machon Chana goes-- I spent a week at Machon Chana in the mountains; [learned a lot, but...] there were a lot of young women w/ BT-syndrome pretty bad and they did a lot of things that most people don't do. They really needed a mashpia of their own, but instead rumors turned into Halacha.

I always thought that we don't leave things unpealed or shelled out of respect, like not to leave them naked. (Picked that one up at M.C.)

Also, with the water, I learned not to leave water overnight in metal, but Shabbos ties the whole "day" together so it's OK to leave water in an urn over Shabbos, but then we don't use the water after that. Did that make sense? I learned that at our Chabad House. They also do that thing with spilling a little water off the top, like pouring off the tumah. I think they do it after opening a water bottle or getting a class from the tap. Any of you do that?

roza

Post Tue, Sep 05 2006, 3:04 pm
Now, I see these peeled and sealed fresh garlic with heksher in supermarkets.
Are those have problems in light of the above? They are completely peeled, but in jar or packages. Anybody knows?
What about green onions, that come cleaned and without roots ( I believe) ?

Motek

Post Tue, Sep 05 2006, 3:08 pm
the garlic I've seen in jars have other ingredients

the Katif green onions-scallions have a little bit on top that needs to be cut away

roza

Post Tue, Sep 05 2006, 3:27 pm
Now, they have freshly peeled garlic, with no other ingredients.

like this one:

such a time saver...

Motek

Post Tue, Sep 05 2006, 5:21 pm
hmmm, I'd be interested in hearing what a rav says!

or how about contacting the ones who give the hechsher - who is it?

roza

Post Tue, Sep 05 2006, 6:35 pm
OK labs

red sea

Post Tue, Sep 05 2006, 6:57 pm
see I heard that any food under the bed is no good , water uncovered doesnt apply these days, and I thought the onions eggs garlic was still applicable cuz its also for health reasons.

melalyse

Post Tue, Sep 05 2006, 7:11 pm
My friend and I always talked about this (leaving onions and eggs unpealed) but both of us married rabbaim and they thought that we were crazy. They thought that it was some "girly" thing that we learned in seminary. My husband even asked his friend (who is also a rav) when we were at a shabbos table together. He said that he was also asked this question by girls and he never heard of it before.
???????

aussiegal

Post Wed, Sep 06 2006, 2:26 am
I went to ma'alot post seminary in NY and had Rabbi BLumenkrantz (from the PEsach book) as a teaacher. He taught us about not leaving the onion, egg, garlic if they dont have oil,salt or something else on them overnight. He claimed that it IS a problem to eat those ready peeled jarred garlic cloves. however, I think he DID say that if it has preservatives or other ingredients its OK (but im not sure about this last part).

Motek

Post Thu, Sep 07 2006, 8:49 am
melalyse wrote:
My friend and I always talked about this (leaving onions and eggs unpealed) but both of us married rabbaim and they thought that we were crazy. They thought that it was some "girly" thing that we learned in seminary. My husband even asked his friend (who is also a rav) when we were at a shabbos table together. He said that he was also asked this question by girls and he never heard of it before.
???????

see my first post of this thread!

Mommastuff

Post Wed, Sep 05 2007, 7:16 pm
Has anyone heard of an inyun that if you only need part of an onion, you should keep the "hairy" part uncut?
Someone mentioned this to me but I never heard of anything like it. Where does it come from? Is this totally made up?

Tehilla

Post Wed, Sep 05 2007, 8:29 pm
yes I heard it regarding that, and I was quoted it as being a Kabbalistic inyan. never got around to delving more into it...

technic

Post Thu, Sep 06 2007, 12:25 am
I never heard that but what I DID hear was all this (totally unasked 4 but an interesting convo nonetheless!!!)

I called 2 order fish and asked 4 an extra bag of minced onion - he asked what I wanted it 4!!! shock and added that "its a sakana in the gemara 2 leave raw egg, raw cut onion and raw peeled potato overnite, unless theyre mixed w sthing else"

(oh - and he said it was kabbalistic - sthing 2 do w the zohar???)

so...a free shiur w every salmon!!! LOL

greentiger

Post Thu, Sep 06 2007, 2:54 am
Yeah it gets a "ruach raah"* on it and shouldn't be eaten after being cut up. When the end is still attached it's okay. And also okay if cooked I think.

An egg is also a problem, but once it's mixed with something else it's fine.

*Just like you wouldn't eat food left under a bed overnight.

miriam

Post Thu, Sep 06 2007, 3:55 am
We were discussing this one Friday night and someone at the table knew the answer. The cause for worry over keeping half an onion is b/c you might not remember if you used a milchig or fleishig knife.

Mimisinger

Post Thu, Sep 06 2007, 4:25 am
My Rav gave shiurim on this. Yes, you can keep an onion overnight if it's attached to the hairy part, or if it's mixed with something else. Of course no overnight eggs either. These are kabbalistic reasons, but they're in the gemorrah.

Rav Moshe Feinstein gave a heter for commercially prepared eggs (so bakeries could stay in business - they use jars of cracked eggs), and apparently it goes the same for onions - that's why you can buy frozen chopped onion.

However, in the home both eggs and onions need to be mixed with something if out of the "shell." For example, if you hardboil a bunch of eggs to make eggsalad the next day, just keep them in their shells until you're ready to use them. Then, when you make the egg salad, they're mixed in with the mayo.

As for the onion, you just have to leave on the root part, or add some oil to a bowl of chopped onions.

As for the reasoning, I thought this was a widespread inyan, maybe you should ask your rabbeim? I thought everyone had to do this...

Post Thu, Sep 06 2007, 7:37 am
I heard the same as Mimisinger from my Rav. Another option he said is to sprinkle salt on the cut onion. If I cut an onion with a milchig or fleishig knife, I always label the bag that I put the extra half into with a D(airy) or F(leish), cuz when I "find" it I'll never remember what it was!!

Mimisinger

Post Thu, Sep 06 2007, 7:51 am
And, as our Rav said, there's nothing scarier in a kosher kitchen than an onion. For example, you cut one onion with a milkchig knife, then, cut the other end with a fleishig knife and then you have....a treif onion!

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Sep 06 2007, 8:59 am
Right, you have to leave the root. Although I have heard that that minhag is botul today . . . from DH’s gemara shiur . . . .

greenfire

Post Sun, Sep 09 2007, 4:27 am
yup - I too have heard of leaving on the root (cm lol) also in regard to this ruach tumah ... but put that aside ... all the flavor evaporates ... so ... buy small onions ...

greentiger wrote:
*Just like you wouldn't eat food left under a bed overnight.

but what about my peanut chews ... I finally found them Twisted Evil Nervous
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen