Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Do you have a child with 3 names?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 9:23 am
I dont understand you OP. Are you expecting that your child will one day ch''v get so sick? I am appalled shock . It is really absurd to think like that. Al tiftach peh l'satan.
Daven that your child/ren stay healthy to a ripe old age.

drumjj

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 9:24 am
I was reading the title of this thread thinking why on earth would u call a child with three names then I realized that actually my third daughter has three names. my first two have only one name because my husband doesnt believe in naming names that we dont use and my third has three because we named after my grandmother who was very special to me who passed away just over a year before she was born and my husband also doesnt believe in splitting names so she got the whole lot. we only use the last part of the name because although my granny had all three names she also was only called by the last one.

MyKidsRQte

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 10:35 am
I have twins, one has 3 names the other has 1 name. Tongue Out

Classicookie

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 10:44 am
I have 3 names BEC one was added when I was sick as a baby but I know a boy with 5 names and the father wanted 7 but the rabbi stoped him at 5 and his next child has6 name 3 is not to bad

dolphin

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 11:03 am
I think you should just give 3 names and not worry about the future because it is not here yet. Hashem is in control. Just leave your worries with him. Please let us know what the name is! Chananya Yomtov Lipa????

sky

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 12:24 pm
My ds has 4 (or 5, depending how you count) names. He is named after one person. I would have never broken up the name.

the only downside is that we are yekke and the tallis bag will cost a lot when we have to buy it, and the wimple took longer to make, and the yarmulkas with names are more expensive. But otherwise the long name is fun!

manhattanmom

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 12:36 pm
amother wrote:
I dont understand you OP. Are you expecting that your child will one day ch''v get so sick? I am appalled shock . It is really absurd to think like that. Al tiftach peh l'satan.

Um, probably not.
A boy uses his full name whenever he has an aliyah in shul. It will be on a tefilin bag too.

I personally would not give any of my kids 3 names and if I had to, I'd more likely give it to a girl--all names go on the kesubah and wedding invitation but that's it.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 1:03 pm
My dh and I both have 3 names. Took a while to read our kesuba! And I had to format our wedding invitation a little differently so it would look nice Smile
Neither of us mind the 3 names, and as a kid, I always used to brag about how many names I had.
Mine are 3 hebrew names. Dh actually has 3 hebrew names and two english! We both only go buy our first hebrew name.
Our kids have 1-2 names each. All named after people, using the actual names- no more, no less. But only called buy their first names.

louche

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 2:05 pm
Once upon a time I joined a tehillim list, not understanding in advance how it worked. I thought you say your perek or perakim and insert the name of the person for whom you're davening, the way we plug in the names of the cholim during mi sheberach lacholim in shul. But no, you were given a list of all the people on the roster and had to read off all the names.

Well, the list being some 50 or 60 people, it took quite a long time--and it wasn't helped by the fact that quite a few of the people had multiple names. There were an astonishing number of three-names-bat- four- names and four-names-ben-four names in the group--and none of them was Chaim or Chaya or Refoel or the other names commonly given to people who are very sick. It literally (yes, I mean literally--I timed it) took longer to read off the names than it did to say my couple of perakim.

Never did I so appreciate the simple things in life, like the Aliza bat Shoshana and Eliezer ben Rivkas of the world.

my father, who used to be a gabbai in his shul, used to rant and rave about a certain mispallel who had three names and gave all his children at least three names, sometimes four. Chas veshalom when he got an aliyah he should agree to "ve-es kol mishpachto"---oh, no! he would doggedly insist on his right to have the whole sizable, ken yirbu but not on my cheshbon, clan enumerated individually in the mi sheberach. Aliza Bracha Shoshana bas Elimelech yehuda aryeh, ve-es Tanya Raizel Sima bas Elimelech yehuda aryeh, ve-es Chaviva Devora Esther Chana bas Elimelech yehuda aryeh, ve-es Binyomin Velvel Moshe ben Elimelech yehuda aryeh, ve-es Dinoh Rochel Hinda bas Elimelech yehuda aryeh...Then his kids started having kids and it increased exponentially...talk about being matriach the tzibbur.

laryngitis is unfortunately not a compensable disorder for gabbaim in this state.

Last edited by louche on Tue, Jan 26 2010, 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 2:08 pm
My dd has three names.

In some families (I notice, for example, the Gerrer rabbis family) 3 names is very common.

Tosfos Yomtov had 4 names. I know people with up to 6 names. But 3 names is really really common.

Quote:
What's the point of naming a child they will never be called by?

The "point" is what the real name is, not how you call them in every day life.

chocolate fondue

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 2:13 pm
My father has 3 Hebrew names and 3 English names (one English name is the same as one of his Hebrew names - they couldn't figure out how to translate it!) He is named after 3 different people - I guess my grandparents decided they weren't going to have anymore and they had better 'chap arein'.

At his bris, his grandfather, who was sandek, cried out in yiddish; 'oy! he'll never be able to remember his name!'

Of course, he's not actually called by any of his names. He's called the yiddish version of one of his Hebrew names. Rolling Eyes

amother

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 2:20 pm
Quote:
(and I happen to know a child that has four names. Three after a grandfather, and Chaim)

Are you talking about my son? Smile

amother

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 2:57 pm
manhattanmom wrote:
amother wrote:

Um, probably not.
A boy uses his full name whenever he has an aliyah in shul. It will be on a tefilin bag too.

Well that is what the OP stated in her post. wasn't my thought.
she said she was worried that if he gets sick and will need a name added, it will be too long to have 4 names.

Isramom8

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 3:06 pm
Louche Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

chavamom

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 4:03 pm
amother wrote:
I have a son with three names. He's named for someone who passed away young, and then we added an extra name.

One of my sons too - same situation.

manhattanmom

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 4:11 pm
amother wrote:
manhattanmom wrote:
amother wrote:

Um, probably not.

Well that is what the OP stated in her post. wasn't my thought.
she said she was worried that if he gets sick and will need a name added, it will be too long to have 4 names.

I actually do know someone who was given 3 names at birth and then a 4th name added when he was sick...

Dance2it

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 4:24 pm
My son has 3 names and B"H so far it's not a problem. My husband also has 3 names so when he's called up for an aliyah he'll repeat the name a few times otherwise not a problem at all. For my husbands tallis bag we fit the names on it and for the tefillin bag we used the initials. really no big deal.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 6:45 pm
Over-thinking for sure.

We know someone who had 2 names and when sick a name was added and one of the others removed. Names changed but for example Devora Rochel became Alte Devora. So keeping on adding may not be necessary anyway.

Unfortunately it didn't work. Said person was niftar, age 9 Crying

skcomputer

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 7:47 pm
My son has 3 names because he's the first boy on both sides in a very long time. Fortunately 2 great-grandfather's had the same name, otherwise he'd have 4. All were very special to my husband and myself that I couldn't imagine choosing one over the other. BTW, one of the names is Chaim. I've always chuckled to myself that he'd be a gabbai's nightmare because my husband has 2 names and they're cohanim. I did have a nice smile at his Bar Mitzvah - the gabbai did a great job. Go for it.

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 8:04 pm
both of my children have 3 names. balances out my sisters kids that have one name each
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names