Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Any other way to make aliyah?
Previous  1  2

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Mar 05 2010, 1:14 am
amother wrote:
OP here.

THanks for your replies.
So can we just show up in EY? They ask the purpose of our visit and we just answer aaliyah and they let us enter and do paperwork? OR will they just send us back and say nope, sorry go with NBN only.?
its not necessarily easier to make aliyah in israel as opposed to in your country of origin. my husband made aliyah while already living here and let me tell you, he had a bit of drama that made him almost give up on the whole thing.

what is stopping you from just going to the jewish agency? they will give you all of the paperwork that you will need. its not so hard, really Smile

as I think I mentioned above, for us who made aliyah before nefesh bnefesh even existed, we all went to the jewish agency and filled out the paperwork with them and they told us what was needed. it was not so bad, really Smile

grace413

Post Fri, Mar 05 2010, 3:06 am
If you just show up at the aiport here they will let you into the country on a three month tourist visa just like anybody else with a US passport.

You will then have to do all the same paperwork here (not at the airport, you have to come with an aliyah visa to do it there) which will be more difficult than doing it wherever you are now, just because everything is new and different here. Until you do the paperwork you will not have a teudat zehut, you will not be able to join a kupat cholim so you will not have health care coverage.

You will also have spent money on flights that could have been better used for living expenses here.

Tamiri

Post Fri, Mar 05 2010, 7:39 am
amother wrote:
OP here.

THanks for your replies.
So can we just show up in EY? They ask the purpose of our visit and we just answer aaliyah and they let us enter and do paperwork? OR will they just send us back and say nope, sorry go with NBN only.?
The law of return gives the privledge to any Jew (and it's been expanded to include who qualifies even if not halachically Jewish) to make Aliya. Period. You can't be turned away AFAIK (maybe someone with a criminal record won't be allowed in? I doubt it, but perhaps there are clauses). You are WANTED here.

Petra

Post Tue, Mar 09 2010, 8:47 am
I'm following this thread. I've been wanting to make aliyah for years but have been in military, then medical residency. So, does debt such as school loans factor into acceptance for aliyah? There are many payment plans for student loans considering income into the equation but until I'm out of residency we can't determine a payment plan. I have good job potential although I know physicians in Israel make considerably less than those in the states. I have a year left before finally being fellowship trained and board certified. With the extensive paperwork and moving a household of 3 small children, I figure starting now would be good. My DH is a teacher by training. I don't know how well that translates in Israel.

tizunabi

Post Tue, Mar 09 2010, 9:01 am
doctors making aliya with nefesh b'nefesh can get extra grants and money exactly for that reason.
see http://www.nbn.org.il/aliyahpe......html

Petra

Post Fri, Mar 12 2010, 3:27 pm
What do people live on if they arrive and have no job initially? Most people aren't lucky enough with job in place already. Are there grants or is one expected to have saved 6+ months salary. If that is the case, that is not going to happen with us. I'm aware of the physician grant. I'm pushing the cut off age though for that and am afraid I'll miss out if we wait much longer.

Marion

Post Sat, Mar 13 2010, 1:17 pm
I had $1500 (CDN!) in my pocket when I made aliyah. 3 months' rent. I got 1200NIS/month in sal klitah & made it work. I took whatever job I could find as soon as I could, and then kept looking. Of course, I was single at the time so I was only responsible for myself.

Tamiri

Post Sat, Mar 13 2010, 2:06 pm
LeahsEma wrote:
What do people live on if they arrive and have no job initially? Most people aren't lucky enough with job in place already. Are there grants or is one expected to have saved 6+ months salary. If that is the case, that is not going to happen with us. I'm aware of the physician grant. I'm pushing the cut off age though for that and am afraid I'll miss out if we wait much longer.
Usually, from my experience (Aliya as a girl in the 70s and as a returning resident in the 2000s) people come with some money saved up. That wasn't an option for DH and myself as returning residents, so we made sure to line up a job before arrival - no easy feat (it took 5 years and once a contract was signed, he was here in 5 weeks to get a lift, buy what we wanted and get back here to start the job, leaving an unsold house in the U.S. - not for the faint of heart). It's not likely that anyone will give you money beyond the immigration basket, so you either use your savings and/or get a job pronto.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions