Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Who is your favorite author?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

KAlex

Post Sun, Mar 14 2010, 2:14 pm
Dorothy Dunnett.

Diana Gabaldon is a good writer, but I decided last year that there is just too much violence and s-x (and especially s-xual violence) in her books, and so gave them up.

From those already mentioned: Barbara Kingsolver is very good too. Jane Austen among lots of classics. I like Fannie Flagg's books when I'm in the mood for something really nice. I've read a couple of Torey Hayden's books, and couldn't take any more. I think what put me off Jodi Picoult is that I read three of her books in a row, and they all had bad things happening to characters with my (English) name! (Plus like the Hayden books, I couldn't take the heart-wrenching for the sake of it anymore.)

Raisin

Post Sun, Mar 14 2010, 2:39 pm
KAlex wrote:
I think what put me off Jodi Picoult is that I read three of her books in a row, and they all had bad things happening to characters with my (English) name! (Plus like the Hayden books, I couldn't take the heart-wrenching for the sake of it anymore.)

I think J. Piccoult has some interesting ideas but I find her writing terribly tedious.

I like Barbara Vine/Ruth Rendell, Maeve Binchy (although she gets rather repetitive), John Grisham, Barbara Kingsolver and plenty of others.

pinkelephant

Post Sun, Mar 14 2010, 4:35 pm
dave barry, if I want a good laugh.

now im reading stardust because I loved the movie and my husband sad the book was so much better, the author is neil gaiman

Cookies n Cream

Post Sun, Mar 14 2010, 5:41 pm
lipid31 wrote:
My all time favorite- gordon korman- he writes the best kids books

LOL! Oh yeah! LOL

ora_43

Post Sun, Mar 14 2010, 5:52 pm
I like Kurt Vonnegut, Douglas Adams, and Joseph Heller. Also Etgar Karet, Isabelle Allende, Dave Barry... and probably dozens more I'm forgetting, but that's enough for now.

sim

Post Sun, Mar 14 2010, 7:04 pm
Tolkien. Lisa Lutz, Alan Gordon, Terry Pratchett, Robert Parker, Muriel Barbery, Jane Austen, Dickens (but only Bleak House), Stella Gibbons, Dorothy Sayers, Ellis Peters, Gail Parkin, I think I'll stop now b/c I'm probably scaring you.

Raisin

Post Sun, Mar 14 2010, 7:07 pm
nobody's said it but I love jk rowling. I wish she would write more stuff...

DefyGravity

Post Sun, Mar 14 2010, 10:17 pm
Maeve Binchy
Marian Keyes
Barbara Kingsolver
Jodi Picoult
Ruth Reichl
Stephen King
Amy Tan
Wally Lamb

and so many more. . .

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Sun, Mar 14 2010, 10:42 pm
I second Diana Gabaldon (I skim over the s-x scenes) The books are just too good for words!

Of course J.K. Rowling

Barbara

Post Sun, Mar 14 2010, 10:46 pm
Pat Conroy
Margaret Atwood

manhattanmom

Post Sun, Mar 14 2010, 10:55 pm
Anyone else a fan of the chic-lit genre like--Sophie Kinsella?

Mommy3.5

Post Sun, Mar 14 2010, 11:02 pm
Kaye Hooper, Jayne Ann Krentz, Heather Graham. and many many, more.

bashinda

Post Sun, Mar 14 2010, 11:33 pm
sim wrote:
Tolkien. Lisa Lutz, Alan Gordon, Terry Pratchett, Robert Parker, Muriel Barbery, Jane Austen, Dickens (but only Bleak House), Stella Gibbons, Dorothy Sayers, Ellis Peters, Gail Parkin, I think I'll stop now b/c I'm probably scaring you.

why is your list scary? I just find it refreshingly eclectic. I don't know some of those authors but I loved reading Cold Comfort Farm (never read anything else by Gibbons) and anything by Sayers (although her racism and anti-semitism made it more and less a comfortable read as I grew up).

Btw, did you ever read Great Expectations? I think those are my two favorite Dickens novels. I then tried to read another Dickens novel and couldn't get past the first chapter.

who is Gail Parkin? I couldn't find any information on her.

msym

Post Mon, Mar 15 2010, 12:23 am
manhattanmom wrote:
Anyone else a fan of the chic-lit genre like--Sophie Kinsella?

I lovvvvve those novels

HindaRochel

Post Mon, Mar 15 2010, 1:23 am
what about Gabriel García Márquez? I loved 100 years of solitude. Oh, how could I forget? Alexander McCall Smith...The Ladies Own Detective Club.

It really seems for the most part I read what others don't. No one here has read the Tales of Genji?

chocolatemilk

Post Mon, Mar 15 2010, 1:23 am
Raisin wrote:
nobody's said it but I love jk rowling. I wish she would write more stuff...

I'm surprised u were the first to say j. k. rowling I also wish she would write more

Marigold

Post Mon, Mar 15 2010, 2:17 am
Colleen McCullough- The thorn birds
Victor hugo-les miserables, hunchback of notre dame
dan brown
Can't remember all the other good books I read when I had time to finish 'em in one night.

Raisin

Post Mon, Mar 15 2010, 5:00 am
HindaRochel wrote:
what about Gabriel García Márquez? I loved 100 years of solitude. Oh, how could I forget? Alexander McCall Smith...The Ladies Own Detective Club.

It really seems for the most part I read what others don't. No one here has read the Tales of Genji?

I enjoyed the no. 1 ladies detective agency but I have tried and failed to get through his other books. So he doesn't qualify as a favourite author.

HindaRochel

Post Mon, Mar 15 2010, 5:02 am
It took me a long time to get into 100 Years of Solitude...but when I finally did, I was hooked.

sim

Post Mon, Mar 15 2010, 7:37 am
I read the first few Number One Ladies Detective... but I got bored of it. I liked his La's Orchestra Saves the World, though. I didn't like any of his other series. Dorothy L. SAyers is a big favorite. Yes, I know about the anti-semitism, but if I was going to restrict my reading to philo-semites it would be sadly limited. HEr books are beautifully written, and contain a wealth of literary allusion.
I hated Great Expectations -- so depressing. Bleak House was the only one of Dickens's books that I really liked (believe me, I've tried). I think b/c his Esther Summerson character is so connectible, maybe b/c she writes in first person. None of his other characters are likeable -- Pip (ungrateful jerk), Carton (self-sacrificing --bleah), Little Dorrit (treacly).
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room