Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Do you potch?
Previous  1  2  3

Do you potch your kids?
yes  
 35%  [ 26 ]
no  
 64%  [ 47 ]
Total Votes : 73

AlwaysGrateful

Post Thu, Mar 25 2010, 10:57 am
Merrymom wrote:
The Torah is not against potching under certain circumstances and neither am I. Like I said earlier, I rarely potch because it isn't necessary. My kids respect me as their mother, they don't think I'm their buddy and I think all this anti-potching thing is treating your child like your on the same level as they are. They have to understand that there is an ultimate authority in the home and that is the parents. If I potch my kids three times a year it still is effective in letting them know that when I mean it, I mean it. For those of you who rather yell all day or beg and plead, gesundeheit, I'm just not going to join that club. I rather just say "don't make me come over there", or "you don't want to get me angry, trust me" and they get it.

If you knew a teacher who used this argument - I need to show them that I'm an authority, I need them to be able to listen to me - what would you think of her? Does your boss potch you when you do something wrong, and if not, is he treating you like you're on the same level as him?

No. There are ways to keep your authority over kids besides hitting them. Imposing consequences is one of them.

Honestly, I don't think I'd ever want to have to say "You don't want to get my angry, trust me" to my kids.

Merrymom

Post Thu, Mar 25 2010, 11:36 am
AlwaysGrateful wrote:
Merrymom wrote:
The Torah is not against potching under certain circumstances and neither am I. Like I said earlier, I rarely potch because it isn't necessary. My kids respect me as their mother, they don't think I'm their buddy and I think all this anti-potching thing is treating your child like your on the same level as they are. They have to understand that there is an ultimate authority in the home and that is the parents. If I potch my kids three times a year it still is effective in letting them know that when I mean it, I mean it. For those of you who rather yell all day or beg and plead, gesundeheit, I'm just not going to join that club. I rather just say "don't make me come over there", or "you don't want to get me angry, trust me" and they get it.

If you knew a teacher who used this argument - I need to show them that I'm an authority, I need them to be able to listen to me - what would you think of her? Does your boss potch you when you do something wrong, and if not, is he treating you like you're on the same level as him?

No. There are ways to keep your authority over kids besides hitting them. Imposing consequences is one of them.

Honestly, I don't think I'd ever want to have to say "You don't want to get my angry, trust me" to my kids.

If a teacher or boss ever hit me or my children I'd sue them. I love my children, that's the difference. I don't hit them because I'm angry, I hit them when I feel that a line has been crossed and that speaking to them and consequences have not been working lately. There comes a time when a potch is effective and I mean long-term not short-term. I am very against potching in general as a answer to everything and most certainly under the age of 5 and over the age bar/bat mitzvah.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics