Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Health makeover!
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Blue jay

Post Sat, Apr 17 2010, 10:04 pm
Ive been obsessing about body image since I was 9 years old! Its true I wish I obsessed about instilling good middos in my children and doing mitzvot with joy especially providing my preschoolers and toddlers with an oneg Shabbos! This one was particulary hard because on top of suffering from mommy burnout and the blech/hotplate not turning on and being stuck in the house because of the rain....to make along story short I had alot of cheese crackers in the late afternoon.

Anyhow, Im starting to refocus my thinking and finally be mature about my priorites...

#1 Schedule daily mommy time that unfortunately does not invlove being on immamother for 2 hours ( THat has happened in the past!This place is addictive)
#2 Learn some torah! Even if its just a sentence from the parsha I have to rewire my neshama!
#3 PLay with my kids and forget about the mess
#4 Fix real food for myself and stop eating scraps from my kids place after all Im not a dog!
#5 do some sort of movement, walk or briskly clean the house

Im glad Aizer that you are enjoying this "Zen" diet , and I like reading your posts. Weight or no weight at least we are all going through a transformation that is positive. Since starting this thread I have been alot more relaxed and have not binged on any food! Ive been eating like a mench!

Also note that Im only 5'2 so 130 pounds would be my ideal body weight though right now im considering investing in a good body shaper and losing 10 punds in an instant!

Good Vuch!

sneakermom

Post Sat, Apr 17 2010, 10:31 pm
Great thread.

I too am trying to lose twenty eight pounds to be precise. I did lose fifteen over the winter.

Some healthy thoughts: I love whole wheat, fresh veggies especially romaine lettuce (I hate checking them though and get my husband to do it whenever possible), I love sauteing onions with pepper or eggplant....delicious, fresh fish or even sardines with some fresh lemon squeezed on top - great source of omega 3 and very healthy.

I do walk a lot and now that the weather is nice it is very invigorating. I would love a good walking sneaker though - something with an arch would be nice if that exists.

I think cooking when one has quiet time is very homey and relaxing. Listening to a good radio program, shiur or music at the same time is so cozy.

I know that there is definitely a self destructive part to me that threatens to make me stuff my face and gain my weight back. It hates seeing me feel and look good.

And healthy living is the antidote. When I learn chassidus, when I daven well, when I connect with others, it elevates me and gives me strength to do this.

Aizer K'negdo in progress

Post Sun, Apr 18 2010, 12:47 am
I have not been good people this shabbos.

I had cookies 25 in 3 days!!!! shock
Oh well!

I guess I will keep my 5 months pregnant baby look a like belly for a few more days thanks to these cookies!!!!

tomorrow is another day!

Blue jay

Post Sun, Apr 18 2010, 8:05 pm
Aizer K'negdo in progress wrote:
I have not been good people this shabbos.

I had cookies 25 in 3 days!!!! shock
Oh well!

I guess I will keep my 5 months pregnant baby look a like belly for a few more days thanks to these cookies!!!!

tomorrow is another day!

Those must have been good cookies! Were they fresh baked chocolate chip? My ultimate weakness! Dont worry Aizer, I once chowed down in frantic anxiety hunger rush an entire package of fig cookies! ( LIke 24 cookies Sad )

Also lately Ive been feasting on cheese crackers and nearly finished the package in 3 days! Just counter act your cookie fest with some healthy dinners, relaxation and some movement exercise. The cookies wont make or break your health kick afterall its just cookies. Its not like you ate an entire Brisket ( although that would be an interesting experience shock )

Blue jay

Post Sun, Apr 18 2010, 8:16 pm
sneakermom wrote:
Great thread.

I know that there is definitely a self destructive part to me that threatens to make me stuff my face and gain my weight back. It hates seeing me feel and look good.

And healthy living is the antidote. When I learn chassidus, when I daven well, when I connect with others, it elevates me and gives me strength to do this.

Sneaker mom what words of wisdom! Overeating is totally the yetzer hura at work and thats utlimately who we are all batteling not the food! Food is a gift from Ha-shem it nourishes us so we can physically perform mitvot. This is definately a "Bash the Yetza Hura Health makeover"

I like your relaxation/cooking technique. Also the idea about listening to tapes sounds good too. Davening and connecting with Ha-shem makes you want to take care of yourself. I know thats whats missing in my life right now thats why I seek food...

Today I finally said my morning brachas and tomorrow I intend to say it before I eat breakfast! Tonight Iwill also say the Shema its time to get back on track!

Post Sun, Apr 18 2010, 9:01 pm
B'H' better day today.

Had cereals in the AM
and for late lunch I had a bit of carbs.
No cookies
No junk food
No sweet drinks

I finished cleaning up the living room
dining room
baby's room
master bed room and guest room

I did not play enough with my DS today, I sang to him and took a book and toys here and there and plyed with him but no real down time with him
he's currently taking his bath and I'm finally sitting down writing to you Smile

I agree a 10000% about overeating is such a Yetzer Ha'Rah.
I do not remember when it started the whole lets eat one more just one more cookie and then you realize you ate the whole bag!!!! Crying
Most probably it does not happen to you but for me it happens in very hight stress situation about once per 2 months or sometimes once a month.

What do you do when you cannot relax, exercise, ...you have so many things to do and so little time to accomplish them.
What is your trick not to take the bag of cookie in the car and eat it along the way/along the day.
For sure the ultimate answer is DO NOT TAKE THE BAG!!! LOL

Sometimes I do not have the Koyach to make the cut veggies or the fruit to go.

So what is your trick Smile

Queen bee thank you for starting this thread.
I'm anxious to see with time if the more "relax/not really on a diet" can be more benefifcal than the "cabbage soup/south beach diet/...." in the long term.

Read you soon Smile

Blue jay

Post Mon, Apr 19 2010, 7:44 am
Aizer, Binge eating for me has become a new "habit". ITs totally stress or anxiety induced especially since becoming a mom. I love being a mom but at times you feel like you dont get any time to yourself and your so beyond paying any attention to yourself that food becomes the drug of choice. This is my problem, but seek your source of anxiety and try to be preventative so that you dont get stressed.

Im taking on this problem and seeking a spiritual journey to better overall physical and most important emotional health. I lost touch with davening and learning over the years. This morning I said my morning blessings and feel much more relaxed I did not eat breakfast yet, ofcourse soon I will but I dont "Need, absolutely need, must have..cant wait to eat!" Food has become my source of joy and meaning and comfort.... I'm starting to see the big picture now.

So far I think we are all winning the battle because half the problem is acknowledgement of the problem. Typing about our days for me is a great source of stress relief and reflection. I feel the urge to eat all the time slowly waning away...

My binge episodes have been decreasing alot and if you only have them Aizer 1-2 times a month thats not so bad!

Blue jay

Post Mon, Apr 19 2010, 8:38 am
Also to avoid overdoing it on the bad foods:

Try to keep a low stock of cookies in the house, because having a big Costco size bag of cookies will make the temptation too great!

Substitute Dark chocolate for milk chocolate. Its better for you and actually takes care of your chocalate fix instead of a whole bag of kit kat bars.

...Today I finally got a babysitter to watch the kids for an houir and a half so I can diffuse, I might go for a walk or just crash in another room and crochet, or go to the local park and read some Dessler or Perkei Avos.... Oh joy what to do in one hour of freedom! Very Happy

Blue jay

Post Mon, Apr 19 2010, 8:47 am
As for the mommy guilt about how much time you devote to your children....

Sometimes I feel like I dont give my children 100 percent as I should or if im in just a mood that day and Im not so playful... But lately Ive been coming to terms with the fact that Im a good mommy because I take care of their basic needs (they are 4 and under) and IM always there for them and all of their "boo boos and sibling politics" and at some part of the day I usually do something playful with them and mommy loosens up a little bit.

Aizer its sounds like you take care of your home and are pretty punctual, unless you dont live in America because of the time difference, you even had Shabbos prepared on Thursday! Part of a childs comfort is living in a clean and somewhat orderly house...

Any way speaking of houses I'v e got to clean mine right now :arrow:

sneakermom

Post Mon, Apr 19 2010, 8:49 pm
Well queenbee3 I totally relate about not having a second to breathe and overeating just to get by. Now, my youngest is getting a bit older....and I actually did something for myself today I went to the city to go shopping. It was a great getaway. I felt so glad to go and then come back....I realized how important it was to take some me time.

I can't wait to do it again. LOL

As far as the eating is concerned I'm doing okay. I love leafy salads...they can be dressed in all sorts of ways, and proteins can be added as well as some good crunchy ww croutons or ww pasta. And it is filling and for my bottomless pit....the volume is great. So I had two leafy salads today...a milchig one for lunch and fleishig for supper. I also had a peanut butter granola bar, and three chocolate covered marshmallows....but they are all included in my points for the day.

And yeh...a costco sized bag of cookies, absolutely sounds delicious, almost want to rush to costco and pick up a bag like that now - but absolutely too distracting. Honestly how can a person think of anything else when they have a bag like that at home?

chaylizi

Post Mon, Apr 19 2010, 8:59 pm
I am having trouble understanding how you can only have a bite of a peanut butter cup & you are fine. I am supposed to eat every 2 hours- because of a lightheadedness problem & I don't want to gain weight from this little issue. I got my sister (who is almost a dietician- she's graduating in a few weeks) to help me put together a meal plan that works for me & isn't going to make me roly poly.

I'm definitely taking advantage of local produce store. Some one the fruit there is amazing.

Blue jay

Post Mon, Apr 19 2010, 9:36 pm
[quote="chaylizi"]I am having trouble understanding how you can only have a bite of a peanut butter

Chaylizi, sometimes a small bite will suffice and sometimes an entire pack of peanut butter cups will do. But remember its not about the Peanut butter cup its "why am I reaching for the PB cup?". Im trying not to wax poetic about Hersheys.... LOL

Remember this thread is not about losing weight or controlling our food. Its about adding Healthy habits to our lives so that we dont use food as comfort. Im sorry to hear that you have weakness and need to eat every 2 hours, I hope your eating plan will help!

Blue jay

Post Mon, Apr 19 2010, 9:46 pm
Sneaker mom,

I'm glad you got out and went shopping! I also got out today and it has been a real long time since I sat alone and just heard myself think.

For one hour I sat by the beach, Sat quietly and listened to the waves and watched the swans and boats
Then I began Rabbi Desslers "strive for truth" and reflected on his words while I crocheted a set of leg warmers,

I made sure that my outing did not include food. IM trying to not equate food with relaxation....kind of like weaning my youngest not equating nursing with sleeping...

At the end of it all I came home refreshed and greeted my kids with a big smile Smile

Im trying to add stucture to my eating, Eating 3 solid meals a day is my goal for now, tomorrow Im going food shopping and IM going to cook real meals factoring my dietary needs as well. My kids menu will slowly have to change as well because I do not want to cook 2 different dinners each night ! Their will be hot dogs but there will also be chicken cutlet stir fry!

chaylizi

Post Mon, Apr 19 2010, 9:48 pm
QueenBee3 wrote:
Remember this thread is not about losing weight or controlling our food. Its about adding Healthy habits to our lives so that we dont use food as comfort. Im sorry to hear that you have weakness and need to eat every 2 hours, I hope your eating plan will help!

Thanks. I'm not looking to lose weight now. I'm just looking not to gain from eating so often.

Blue jay

Post Mon, Apr 19 2010, 9:56 pm
I doubt that you would gain weight if you eat healthy foods every 2 hours! I find oranges to be very invigorating! The smell and the taste revitalizes the senses! I just need time to peel them LOL

sneakermom

Post Mon, Apr 19 2010, 10:08 pm
Don't bother peeling. Cut them with a knife and eat the triangles they are delicious.

bubby

Post Tue, Apr 20 2010, 9:59 am
Update...I LOOK thinner, but I don't know what the scale will say. I'm going to walk to the train to go to Manhattan....but not my local station. It's about 1.5 miles away. And I'm considering swimming.

Have a healthy day, everyone!

Blue jay

Post Tue, Apr 20 2010, 7:29 pm
Bubby you make me laugh LOL

I also think I look thinner too! When I walk I feel like there is less jiggling going on!

I tried the "eat 3 quare meals" plan today and then I had some car trouble, an active but fun afternoon with the kids... so I ended up noshing all day and I pkan to finish the day off with a fish sandwhich.

Im just putting this stupid question out there, How do your spouses feel about your weight issue? My dh tells me that Im beautiful but he thinks I need to lose weight and get in shape. But having this pressure makes me gain more weight....Im trying to block all of this out and continue with my health makeover.

In some ways I dont see myself as overweight, when I look in the mirror Im comfortable with who I am. Im not sizing myself up to "skinny or model types" I just think im fashionably challenged some of my clothes make me look twice the size!

Hope everyone is feeling and looking good!

sneakermom

Post Wed, Apr 21 2010, 1:51 pm
I just finished eating the most amazing snack. Frozen grapes.

It's worth one ww point for a cup. Keeps you busy, is satisfying, and delicious.

...just had to get that off my chest. LOL

Post Wed, Apr 21 2010, 2:58 pm
Sorry ladies I was busy busy busy!

When I went to give the car to repair the "OMG I DO NOT HAVE BREAKS ANYMORE" situation, our lovely mechanics had the seichel to look at the car in general and Lo and Behold, our engine strap was about to snap (he said it was a question of hours!! C'V'S'
So I brought my car to the garage yesterday night and I walked myself back home pushing the stroller for a distance of more than 4 miles! It took me less than 1h15 minutes.
I'm walking back there after my little one wakes up today to pick it up IY'H'!

I played a lot more with my DS who received his shots last week and starting to have a low grade fever.
Poor little one Crying
But still I felt better to be there playing on the ground outside with him , going to the park and playing with him.

Food wise : YEAH! Very Happy

I have eaten smaller amounts and less often.
I'm eating with my son for breakfast and lunch and for diner I eat with the whole tribe! Wink
When my DS eats a snack I eat or not but I'm more conscious about my choices.

I'm starting to read a book :
The sugar solution by Ann Fittante. It is very interesting and it fits my needs.
It is about the too high sugar intake and the physical consequences: weight gain, decreased fertility, low energy, mood swings,....

I'll keep you posted Smile

so voila, I have to go and
finish to fold the laundry,
do the dishes,
prepare the supper

Be well my more and more healthy sisters Very Happy
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise