Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Health makeover!
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Blue jay

Post Wed, Apr 21 2010, 3:43 pm
Aizer, What is with the cars these days!

I spent 2 days occupied with replacing my flat tire! Im happy that your car got the proper diagnosis!

Your upbeat post has inspired me to trudge on through my health kick, because for some reason today Im so poofed and dont care what I eat. However after a 20 minute nap I feel alot better now and am cooking Gumbo. It has okra in it!

Keep giving us facts from your new book it sounds really interesting! Also I hope your boy feels 100% better soon! How old is he? I meant to tell you that your avatar is so cute!

Sneakermom, thanks for the frozen grapes idea! I definately want to try it! Also Im considering counting my WW points again too, how many points did you say you were counting? I calculated mine to be 23 using their formual.

Aizer K'negdo in progress

Post Wed, Apr 21 2010, 11:01 pm
What a bill for the car!

Oy Vay!

In the end a few minutes after

I wrote you, my DS woke up crying.
No folding laundry,
no supper ready,
I just had enough courage to put him in the stroller and walk to the garage.

Our DS is still feverish, does not want to eat much and needs mommy's arms!!!
He is 19 months KA'H'

YI'H' tomorrow is another day Smile
We'll try to make it more productive and more importantly a better healthier day for my DS.

Bz'H'

Good night Smile

amother

Post Thu, Apr 22 2010, 4:17 am
There is a really good book I am reading now called

"women, food and G-d". I am loving the thread

Post Thu, Apr 22 2010, 10:23 am
amother wrote:
There is a really good book I am reading now called

"women, food and G-d". I am loving the thread

HI!

Who is the author?
Who is the publisher?

Please Smile

Thank you:)

Blue jay

Post Thu, Apr 22 2010, 2:10 pm
Amother, interesting book... I ll look into it!

Aizer, oy I hope your little guy feels better soon, my youngest ds is the same age! And he has me running in circles, I consider this substantial exercise LOL

ITs funny how the little ones can flip your plans aroung in an instant! I'm finally starting to let go of all my "Plans" and let the children dictate for the most part the schedule and I have to fit in my exercise and meal times around them.

Today I decided to count WW points again....I feel like Im ready to keep a mental track of what im eating because its so easy to keep eating....

If I have an anxiety attack ( relatively minor ) instead of reaching for food, I take a deep breath count backwards and take on one problem not all 300 ( not really but sometimes it feels that way!)

Post Thu, Apr 22 2010, 2:47 pm
Thank you Queen Bee3 for your warm wishes.
My Ds seems to be feeling better today B'H'
He is still quite "clingy and teary" plus he still have a low grade fever but he seems overall better.B'H'

We got his new glasses too. I like them B'H'. He looks like a mini Harvard professor!!!B'P'Y'

I ate with him again and it really helps me to be more centered ie it helps me to have an eating schedule. Less over eating.B'H'

I Ate cereals this am and then 2 mini rice cakes with caroub in the car with the baby.
Came home ate fish, string beans and rice.
Finished off with one small "pirouline" (small cookie shaped like a cigar)

I just put the little one to bed and I will try to get to what I did not do yesterday!
Laundry
supper
cleaning the house for shabbos
Bz'H'

I'm still struggling with the meat recipes, I cannot get them right. They taste good but the texture is.. to be polite... not tooooo gooooood.
I spend hours preparing them and ... nothing.
yesterday night I was SO UPSET, I would have put the darn dutch oven in the garbage and sat in the kitchen to eat a bag of cookie with milk and sob...
I did not, I did the dishes, put the little one to bed and looked for answers...(FYI I did not found them but it kept me busy)

It is very frustrating to have all that meat go to waste,
my husband is working very hard for that money and I feel like I am telling him since I constantly miss it, "oh well who cares about all your efforts sweetie I will feed you with meat that is as tender as a shoe sole!!!!"

Anybody here having difficulty with a certain meal or preparation on the kitchen?
Maybe you can relate?

Time to go to work Smile

Be well healthy bodies in progress!

Blue jay

Post Thu, Apr 22 2010, 8:09 pm
My older son now turning 4 got glasses when he was 2, and yes they do look like quite the little professors!

As far as meat, which meat is giving you the most difficulty?

I shy away from pot roasts and briskets ( you know the really expensive cuts) because I have no idea what im doing with them and sometimes they come out amazing and sometimes they come out like a doggy chew toy!

You cant go wrong with chopmeat! Lately Ive been using Empire ground trukey, shaping them into nuggets and breading them with egg and bread crumbs, my kids love these "Nuggets' and now I found extra leanground turkey to use as well.

Any meat dish that requires braising and marinating, I run clear out of the kitchen and yell "We are having mac n cheese tonite!"

Blue jay

Post Thu, Apr 22 2010, 8:16 pm
Oh I just checked out woman. foodand g-d, by Geneen Roth on you tube.

I read her articles in various magazines, and she is wonderful! She really gets to the core of compulsive overeating. Im considering buying this book!

sneakermom

Post Thu, Apr 22 2010, 8:53 pm
So I had a pretty lousy day - mood wise. I get like this sometimes and all I want to do is eat eat eat. It's an old habit I guess.

I did eat a lot but within my points.

Queen - I give myself thirty points. It's a little over the amount I'm supposed to have but it's what I can realistically do. I figure the extra thirty five points a week balances it out.

I guess from all your posts (and mine too) the issue is managing the daily stresses of life - without using food as a coping mechanism.

I don't try to fight that. I know food is a coping mechanism for me and I don't feel it is important to fight that at this point, to manage it yes, but it seems like an uphill battle uprooting the whole darn defense mechanism. Let's be realistic here....addictions are very deep rooted.

So I plan to stay obsessed with food, loving food, and needing food. But, I plan to be in control, to eat only within my points. It's a game really, trying to eat as many good delicious things, healthy by the way too, without going over the points.

And yes I feel very good about myself. I feel like a human being not a ravenous animal or a pacman...open mouth that gobbles all the dots. because I am controlling the intake.

But I have come to the realization that I do need food a lot especially when I'm stressed. And that is not going to go away.

sneakermom

Post Thu, Apr 22 2010, 9:00 pm
Aizer Knegdo in Progress...I'm sorry your having trouble with the meat.

I'm not the biggest maven, but if you get chuck meat all you need to do is saute an onion, add the meat, saute it on both sides, lower the flame, add a little liquid of choice, and simmer on a low flame for a long time until it is very soft. The key is to give it enough time to cook and soften.

If your making a good roast the key is to saute it on all sides first, bake it but don't overbake because it dries it out. Let it cool, and then slice so that you don't lose the delicious juices.

Hope this helps. LOL

Post Thu, Apr 22 2010, 11:46 pm
Ohh my Queen Bee3:

I feel less of a Klutz for not being able to do those @$@#!$!$! briskets.
I spent a fortune in the last 2 weeks to be able to do them and they areAWFUL specially the texture: I should start my own doggy toy company....

ARG!
I'm trying again tomorrow YI'H' with the crock pot bc I have to give meat for shabbos. IM preparing shabbos for a family of 8B'P'Y' the mom just gave birth to her 6th child B'P'Y'
So I have to do it...
Otherwise believe me I would stick to what I know how to do....

Ohhh well we will see.

Thank you sneaker mom for your recipe.

I'm afraid to put my meat on the stove top now! I spent no jokes like 200$ in experimental meat in the past 2-3 weeks.
I ruined them all Sad

thank you for your recipe, I'M sure it is delicious.

FYI I did finish all my "duties" laundry, dishes, folding,...
I'm quite happy with that Smile

Good night ladies:)

Blue jay

Post Fri, Apr 23 2010, 6:29 pm
Sneakermom, Thanks for your candid and honest outlook on eating! I can totally relate that my tiva to eat "like pac-man" will never go away. but if I stay in my points-and by the way Im upping mine to 30 too- I can control the intake and still feel like I can eat like a human.

I did look into the "Woman, food and G-d" book and it looks interesting however I might be going out on a limb but I have a problem with a book that has G-d in it and there are swear words. I might be alittle crazy.... However I touched on some of her points one is your realtionshop with food is an expression of self love. If you binge and hurt yourself with food there is an inner hurt an inner sabateur.

LAtely I discovered that Im sort of a perfectionist, I expect everything to be perfect in order to go foward. Thats why I have anxiety attacks when my house is a mess, or if I think of eating healthy because I feel like "Im a mess". Oh I hope im making sense.

Thanks Sneakermom and Aizer and Bubby, I look foward to your heartfelt and helpful posts and Im so glad I found an emotional outlet for my eating problems!

Have a great Shabbos everyone!

sneakermom

Post Sat, Apr 24 2010, 10:44 pm
So I ate my way through Shabbos. In the morning I was great but somewhere between supervising my daughter sweep the kitchen floor, (grr I hate literally forcing her to do things like that) and playing with my kiddies all day to keep them busy. I turned to food. And it was delicious and comforting as usual. And I feel pretty nervous and awful about it afterward. As usual. The cycle of my eating.

And Queen, something about that book, resonates with me. There simply is a point to the fact that food is self nurturing but if it is used to hurt oneself there is a reason. It's just the plain truth. Unless of course someone has a tremendous predisposition or they are on some medication that makes them awfully hungry. Otherwise, it is a form of self hate. And love. All combined. Complicated LOL

And that is why it is so complicated to lose weight.

You struggle with perfectionism, the need to have things in order so that the world feels safe. I struggle with pain of having been mistreated as a child. And the anxiety it brings on as an adult.

But we must plod on. We must use the power of our minds, our intellect to rule the parts that try to bring us down.

And we can do it. G-d has given us the choice.

And that is why I like the title of the post - healthy makeover. It isn't necessarily about every pound lost, it's taking steps towards healthier lifestyle.

sneakermom

Post Sat, Apr 24 2010, 10:46 pm
Aizer I forgot to ask you how that meat came out. I'm curious did the crock pot dry it out or was it juicy?

You certainly had quite a crew to feed.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Apr 25 2010, 9:56 am
sneakermom wrote:
So I ate my way through Shabbos. In the morning I was great but somewhere between supervising my daughter sweep the kitchen floor, (grr I hate literally forcing her to do things like that) and playing with my kiddies all day to keep them busy. I turned to food. And it was delicious and comforting as usual. And I feel pretty nervous and awful about it afterward. As usual. The cycle of my eating.
eps towards healthier lifestyle.

Do you have food ready? In the morning I had a bowl of uncooked oatmeal, raisins, milk and cinnamon prepped before Shabbos, e.g. and having other large quanities of safe food - lightly seasoned popcorn, fruits, veg. - might help too.

Blue jay

Post Sun, Apr 25 2010, 12:54 pm
Sneakermom, thanks for sharing, Im sorry about your past....you seem to me to be such a grounded and authentic person. You are honest with yourself and dont settle for set backs and keep pushing foward. I hope I dont sound tlike a fortune cookie! LOL Your writing really reveals this aspect of your neshama.

I realize that if I want to be healthier I have to work on my anxiety as well as all the calories. I cant have one without the other or it will simply not work.

Like Pink Fridge says, its good to have healthy options available during Shabbos so that we dont turn to the chips, cookies etc. Shabbos is particulary hard for me too, because food becomes comfort when I feel like im "Super Mommy entertains the kiddies for 12 continuos hours..."

This Shabbos I tried to break up the day for me and the kids. Now that they are almost 4 I include them in my davening using their picture siddur. We do morning blessings together and the Shema. I made a kiddush while dh was at shul and we sat and ate breakfast together.

The afternoon was much harder and I turned to food too, but I did not break the bank ( Sad I hope)

Today Im counting the points so far Im at 20....(Its only 12:30 pm) 10 to go!

Post Mon, Apr 26 2010, 11:08 am
Hello everyone!

So lets start with the food part!

I was very good this w-e BECAUSE I HAD FOOD POISONING!!!!
I am still weak and my DS is having to cope with a shmatta mom!!!
I had fever due to severe dehydration and had the usual friends of all food poisoning Rolling Eyes

I just cannot eat for the moment.

As per the meat

I put in the cholent a piece of cheek and it came out like butter, it was so great.

As per the brisket in the oven after 3 h of cooking it was good but when we ate for shabbos it was hard and chewy: another piece to add in my doggy chewing toy company!!! LOL

so I think I am going to give up the whole meat thing stove top/oven style. Maybe I should stick to crock pot?

Hope you all had a good w-e.

read you soon

Blue jay

Post Mon, Apr 26 2010, 12:48 pm
Oy, im sorry Aizer, I hope you start feeling better soon....By the way, I hope its wasn't the meat that gave you the food poisoining? Refuah Shelama! Id take a cold instead of stomach anguish! When you get your appetite back stick to really light food, no salads! Applesauce, rice and toast to settle your stomach.

Well, I just ordered "Natuarlly Thin" a book that was mentioned in an earlier dieting thread. IT focuses on not dieting....my kind of a book!

As for food, For Breakfast Ive been eating my utlimate POWER oatmeal. with peanutbutter and raisins. Keeps me satiated to 10:30am, Then when it is 10:31 sharp the effect expires becuase its usually my kids early lunch/snack time and I cant help but nibble on some mac n cheese or crackers and chummus (but Im stressing the word nibble)

Nibbling sounds alot better than grazing( too cow like) or bingiing (too depressing).

Today I plan on exercising for 20 minutes with circuit training. Jump rope, wieight lifting and hula hooping. I read thats all you need to see results because lifting weights boosts your metabolosim than just a cardio workout.

Take care, Fit and Healthy immamothers!

Blue jay

Post Tue, Apr 27 2010, 7:57 pm
Today I ate and pretended that I was a contestant on a weightloss challenge show...

Breakfast_ Carrot whole wheat pancakes with cottage cheese applesauce and a teasponn of maple syrup

Lunch- Whole wheat salmon sandwhich with green peppers and carrot sticks dipped in tahina and salsa
dessert: prunes

Dinner_ Ground turkey chopmeat with 2 helping s of white rice and a pear and asparagus

After 4:00 I stopped eating carbs and took a walk with my family. I also jumped rope and hula hooped for 15-20 minutes.

What helped the most was preparing lunch early in the morning for both me and my kids and preparing dinner as well . I had baby carrots handy in the fridge and the asparagus was quite easy to cook! Also Ive decided that Im cooking healthy for everyone not just for me!

My kids did not like the ground turky so I gave them PB and J sandwhiches.

sneakermom

Post Tue, Apr 27 2010, 10:18 pm
Eizer - I hope your feeling better. There's almost nothing worse than food poisening I had it recently and was doing lamaze breathing just to get through the pain. You do lose weight though.

Queen - You are making yourself very fancy meals indeed. Very impressive.

I was quite good today. Did some spring cleaning for a relative of mine and that required a lot of exercise which felt quite invigorating.

I probably went five points over my thirty points. But I am exercising more and that makes me hungry.

Right now I weigh 179 and would love to go down to 169 within the next two months. Easier said than done.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise