Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Linen Changing
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Sherri

Post Thu, Jul 01 2010, 11:33 am
I now change the linen once a week, on a rotating schedule. I have the resources to do it now, but I realize it's more of a treat than a necessity. I would regularly be on a 2 week cycle. (Yes, I also shower every night.)

Tamiri

Post Thu, Jul 01 2010, 11:48 am
For those who don't change their linen on what I would call a regular basis (once a week, once every two weeks): what's it like to sleep on sheets like that? Is there a reason you don't change the linens regularly? And this business of wearing linens out is silly: you can have two (or more) sets and rotate them if you are worried about one set being worn out.
You are on those sheets for at least 1/4-1/3 of your life. Doncha think that after a while your body sort of ripens the sheets and they need to be changed? I am curious. Would you wear a shirt for more than one day?

Tablepoetry

Post Thu, Jul 01 2010, 11:52 am
Pillowcases - a couple of times a week.
Sheets - once a week.
Duvet covers - once every ten days or so.
All of the above is relevant for both parents and kids.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Thu, Jul 01 2010, 11:57 am
Amother isn't allowed on this forum, which is probably why some people aren't answering.

It's a matter of prioritizing. Sure, I could change the sheets once a week while the baby is screaming in the background and my toddler is asking me to play with him. It could take up a load of laundry so I won't have any clean underwear or clean clothes for my baby who spits up constantly and leaked through three diapers today. Or I could just not.

Honestly, though, that's not the real answer. I didn't change the linens once a week before I had kids either. True is it doesn't bother me. If someone changed their linens once a day and thought you were crazy for waiting a week or two - because, after all, you wouldn't wear the same shirt two times in a row, would you? - what would you answer them? My answer is the same. I shower before bed each night. I never change my couch pillows (they aren't removeable), and I have no problem lying on them for years at a time. What's the difference between that and linens?

This is assuming they don't actually get dirty. Obviously, if my baby spits up all over the crib sheet, it gets changed. And my kids go into their cribs when they haven't just bathed. But our sheets? We're always showered right beforehand (except for Friday night, I give you that).

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Jul 01 2010, 11:57 am
With amother disabled, naturally the non frequent changers aren't going to respond; no one wants to be thought of as a freak.

yo'ma

Post Thu, Jul 01 2010, 12:05 pm
Tamiri wrote:
And this business of wearing linens out is silly: you can have two (or more) sets and rotate them if you are worried about one set being worn out.

I have 2 sets of linen for our beds, but I guess after using them for 12 years they got worn out.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 01 2010, 12:10 pm
well since I can post anon...

about once a month. if I remember...

sarahd

Post Thu, Jul 01 2010, 12:14 pm
The thread has been moved. Now that amother is enabled, I expect you will be hearing horror stories about people who change their linen once a year.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 01 2010, 12:15 pm
was this topic just moved so we can post anon? im the first amother that responded...

and yeah- I would wear shirts for more then one day if it doesnt get dirty... underpants not- but thats diff- its gets dirty (fluids come out...)

but I wear skirts at least a week (unless something spills on it and wont come off with a spot cleaning)
shirts for sure twice.
shabbos clothing a FEW shabbosim and ditto with shabbos robe.

so then I guess its no biggy that my sheets gat changed at MOST once a month- if not less frequently...

AlwaysGrateful

Post Thu, Jul 01 2010, 12:24 pm
sarahd wrote:
The thread has been moved. Now that amother is enabled, I expect you will be hearing horror stories about people who change their linen once a year.

So I was the only one brave enough to post under my screenname!

It's very funny. This has undertones of the "To those of you who don't wear skirts that cover your knee, what's your rationale? Don't you care that you're violating halacha?"

I guess the only difference is that one is halacha, which has a basis (and yes, there are different rabbanim who say different things, but let's say we change it to "tank tops"), and the other is based one...well...what IS it based on? After all, people used to go a week or more without showering, and no one ever thought twice about it. Now people (myself included) think that's gross. So what is "hygiene" based on, assuming that it's not unhealthy to do something? I'm assuming no one thinks I'm going to get sick from sleeping on sheets that haven't been washed for more than two weeks...

Shiny

Post Thu, Jul 01 2010, 12:40 pm
For those that change every week......how do u manage????

I change every other week and I dread it Exploding anger Twisted Evil

with the stripping washing ironing folding and them putting fresh ones one.....takes me ages..

Sherri

Post Thu, Jul 01 2010, 12:47 pm
I rotate the linens, so the immediate job to take care of is stripping, throwing into hamper, and making the fresh beds. Washing and folding the linen etc. can be taken care of the next day, or any different time if need be. If I don't have so much time (or energy!) at once, I strip the beds in the morning (instead of making the beds, it's stripping the beds) and then make the beds later on in the day.

Marigold

Post Thu, Jul 01 2010, 12:53 pm
a shana reshonanick wrote:

with the stripping washing ironing folding and them putting fresh ones one.....takes me ages..

I hate do to it too but I usually put back the old ones so that makes it easier for me.

I strip in the morning, wash and iron and by the time the linens are on I usually collapse into bed leaving me little time to even enjoy it. Smile

sarahd

Post Thu, Jul 01 2010, 1:27 pm
amother wrote:
was this topic just moved so we can post anon? im the first amother that responded...

Lol, no. It was in the wrong section, so I moved it to a more appropriate place, which happens to be amother enabled.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jul 01 2010, 1:38 pm
Mmmmm. My pearl of a cleaning lady changes it every week, more if she thinks it's needed LOL
Before I had her, well, let's say I'm much less difficult. If it becomes dirty because something spills or dd walks with her shoes on it, it gets changed (once a month?). Or if it's been veryyyyy long.

Btw we never iron anything.

onlyme

Post Thu, Jul 01 2010, 1:45 pm
Another once-a-month'er here embarrassed unless it got dirty. DD's I change more often.

And I ironed linen exactly once in my life and vowed to never ever do it again!

Tamiri

Post Thu, Jul 01 2010, 1:50 pm
yo'ma wrote:
Tamiri wrote:
And this business of wearing linens out is silly: you can have two (or more) sets and rotate them if you are worried about one set being worn out.

I have 2 sets of linen for our beds, but I guess after using them for 12 years they got worn out.
So you change them. They are, most of the time, less expensive than a week's worth of groceries. Unless we're talking Porthault or Pratesi. In which case I think you levitate over them, not sleep directly on them.

wwmom

Post Thu, Jul 01 2010, 3:07 pm
jewishsoul wrote:
I get the feeling the only people who are responding to this thread are the ones who change often...

Lol! I was just thinking the same thing!

elf123

Post Thu, Jul 01 2010, 10:32 pm
jewishsoul wrote:
I get the feeling the only people who are responding to this thread are the ones who change often...

Um, check a few posts back, someone said she does it every three months. Not to judge here, but..........

miriam

Post Thu, Jul 01 2010, 10:38 pm
a shana reshonanick wrote:

I change them every week but that does not include ironing them. How do you iron sheets? What's the reason for it?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry