Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Emmett
Previous  1  2

life'sgreat

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 11:43 am
It reminds me of Miriam Adahan's Emmett groups and stuff.

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 11:50 am
I actually liked this name until I saw mrs bisslis comment. truthfully, I think it is a nice name and since my kid has the ultimate old jewish man name, and so does my nephew, I have to say they grow into their names and as weird as it sounds at the beginning the names grow to suit them.

kids can be mean, and all in all, agent emes is a lot better than 'idiot' or dummy.

Annie

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 12:10 pm
My first reaction was also "football player." Then, I thought, Oh, right, it has a nice Hebrew meaning.

I guess it depends where you live and where he'll go to school. 20 years ago, Max was considered an old man name and it's been trendy for about 8 years now.

morahaviva

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 11:48 pm
My neices name is Emette - and when she doesnt tell the truth..... is your name emet or sheker?!@?

amother

Post Tue, Jul 27 2010, 11:20 am
My father (a'h)'s name was Emmett. I just stumbled on this thread and honestly feel like crying. For all those who are so quick to decide that a name is "non jewish", maybe think before you type. You have no idea how hurtful this thread (and I'm sure others) can be.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jul 27 2010, 11:32 am
amother wrote:
My father (a'h)'s name was Emmett. I just stumbled on this thread and honestly feel like crying. For all those who are so quick to decide that a name is "non jewish", maybe think before you type. You have no idea how hurtful this thread (and I'm sure others) can be.

It's all cultural, amother. Ignore them.

Mirabelle

Post Tue, Jul 27 2010, 11:35 am
ora_43 wrote:
Isramom8 wrote:
Back ToThe Future. It sounds like a non-Jewish name that you're trying to claim as Jewish. People will smirk.

Sounds like one of the characters from Twilight. I predict a lot of Emmetts in the near future.

I don't think it's a bad name, kind of nice actually, but I agree with previous posters that 1. people are likely to link it to some kind of pop culture phenomenon and 2. it sounds like "Emet," "truth," which would be a very unusual Hebrew name (not that it would be his Hebrew name, but people could get confused).

Twlight was my first thought too....perhaps if it weren't so popular at the moment the name would be more appropriate...

mamacita

Post Wed, Jul 28 2010, 1:16 am
chillax wrote:
saw50st8 wrote:
Famous football player.

I also thought of Emmitt Smith first.

same here!

amother

Post Wed, Jul 28 2010, 1:51 am
when I was expecting my first and we didnt know the babys gender, we referred to the baby as "baby emes". I like the name emmett!! it does sound a lot like a non jewish name, but so what? I know lots of frummies with non jewish nicknames derived from their uber frummy names. I love the sound of it, and the meaning is beautiful. it probably wouldnt work well in my circle, but personally I like it! if it werent for communcal ostracization, id name my next girl neshama... maybe we can set her up with emmett? they sound cute together!

amother

Post Wed, Jul 28 2010, 1:51 am
when I was expecting my first and we didnt know the babys gender, we referred to the baby as "baby emes". I like the name emmett!! it does sound a lot like a non jewish name, but so what? I know lots of frummies with non jewish nicknames derived from their uber frummy names. I love the sound of it, and the meaning is beautiful. it probably wouldnt work well in my circle, but personally I like it! if it werent for communcal ostracization, id name my next girl neshama... maybe we can set her up with emmett? they sound cute together!

sequoia

Post Wed, Jul 28 2010, 2:07 am
I like it. Reminds me of the character on Keeping Up Appearances.

ora_43

Post Wed, Jul 28 2010, 3:02 am
amother wrote:

Why is it hurtful that people don't recommend giving your father's name to this generation of children?

I love plenty of people whose names I wouldn't give a child. For that matter, I wouldn't recommend that someone give my name to a child. It's not a big deal, IMHO, and it doesn't mean the name is inherently bad, it's just that times change and names that once might have been considered normal are now considered strange, or are now associated with a particular person or trend.

Ruchel, of course it's all cultural. That doesn't make people's responses to the name irrelevant. The opposite. People should know how the name they choose will sound to those around them, in the culture they live in.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Dec 17 2010, 8:50 am
Since this thread I've seen two frum Emeth on FB LOL

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Dec 17 2010, 9:46 am
No one else thought of Emmett Kelly first?

Whoops, just saw the post about it being someone's father's name. I really wasn't poking fun, just mentioning him to show that yes, it's a name. (And belonged to someone who brought great cheer to many.)

OP, why do you want this name?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names