Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Want your kids to be just like you?
Previous  1  2

the world's best mom

Post Tue, Oct 12 2010, 9:31 am
brooklyn wrote:
I guess that what I'm trying to say is that to me religion is more of what kind of a person you are inside. Just because one doesn't cover their hair or dress a certain way it doesn't makes them any less. Unfortuinately many people under the guise of frumkeit are to quick to judge others when they don't know anything about a person and that unfortunately turns people away.

But if a child is raised with a strong belief that the Torah commands us to cover our hair, and she is a good person, why would she want to go against what she learned all her life? Often, rebelling comes from being unhappy at home, sometimes it's from other things, but it is never fropm anything good that I would want for my child to go through.

I don't mind if my children choose to be frummer than I am, but I am happy if they stay like me. I would be very unhappy if they became less Frum than me.

saw50st8

Post Tue, Oct 12 2010, 9:38 am
I want my children to be thinkers. Hopefully that will translate into being an orthodox Jew. And my preference is MO LOL.

But really, as long as they are happy, moral people, I will have raised them right.

Sherri

Post Tue, Oct 12 2010, 9:42 am
life'sgreat wrote:
I think it's important for children to understand that we don't all come from the exact same mold and what works for child #1 might not work for child #3. We can teach our children what we believe is good and right, but be cognizant that even our own children have to find their personal path to G-d. To some it's in Tefillah, to others it's in learning, to others it's in being very makpid on giving maaser etc...
... So you are saying that you want them to have a path to G-d. Not just to be "good people".
(I think that phrase is so subjective. That's all I am saying. We all want that, but we all obviously have different definitions of it.)

Nomad

Post Tue, Oct 12 2010, 10:21 am
I would hope my kids end up observant jews who are mensches. I dont care if that involves them being more, less or same "frum" as me.

frankly, I think "frum" levels have more to do with a person's background and upbringing than whether they are better jews and keeping more of Hashem's laws.

life'sgreat

Post Tue, Oct 12 2010, 4:37 pm
Sherri wrote:
life'sgreat wrote:
I think it's important for children to understand that we don't all come from the exact same mold and what works for child #1 might not work for child #3. We can teach our children what we believe is good and right, but be cognizant that even our own children have to find their personal path to G-d. To some it's in Tefillah, to others it's in learning, to others it's in being very makpid on giving maaser etc...
... So you are saying that you want them to have a path to G-d. Not just to be "good people".
(I think that phrase is so subjective. That's all I am saying. We all want that, but we all obviously have different definitions of it.)

Yes, being good is a rather open ended description. I want them to find their own derech to G-d and hopefully I teach them enough to be able to do so.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics