Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Ami magazine recall
Previous  1  2

Isramom8

Post Fri, Jan 07 2011, 7:43 am
I'd think you sren't allowed to scan the article because then people don't buy the issue. But maybe you can if you say where it's from. Permission might need to be granted.

Mishpacha has let me refer to an artice that I wrore that they published, but they said I had to link to it on their website, not publish ithe text on mine.

Mama Bear

Post Fri, Jan 07 2011, 9:36 am
I still have the first Ami. The recall happened with the third Ami. I dont think the 2 are connected.

I'll go reread the first installment of the serial.

PIP

Post Sat, Jan 08 2011, 7:15 pm
stickyfingers wrote:
Well, I think I got the uncensored one. In the first issue of the serial, it was hinted very clearly that the woman was r@ped, and everyone found out that the baby is not the father's because of some medical condition the child had and it became a huge scandal, and even the father doesn't know what to believe, and the woman will have to fight to get her name and reputation restored.

But I don't think that's what they're doing with the story now? Am I right? I think now it's a false accusation of child abuse because her baby fell, having nothing to do with r@pe.

I'm not sure this is true. The story is based on a true story that happened to the author who lost a child.

energy11

Post Sat, Jan 08 2011, 8:20 pm
[quote
I'm not sure this is true. The story is based on a true story that happened to the author who lost a child.[/quote]

No, no!
Sherry Mandel lost her son in a cave. He was violently killed by Arabs.
she wrote a beautiful book about it: The blessing of a broken heart.

PIP

Post Sat, Jan 08 2011, 8:22 pm
That's what it says this week.

And OMG that is awful!! Sad

dveikus

Post Sat, Jan 08 2011, 8:26 pm
PIP wrote:
stickyfingers wrote:
Well, I think I got the uncensored one. In the first issue of the serial, it was hinted very clearly that the woman was r@ped, and everyone found out that the baby is not the father's because of some medical condition the child had and it became a huge scandal, and even the father doesn't know what to believe, and the woman will have to fight to get her name and reputation restored.

But I don't think that's what they're doing with the story now? Am I right? I think now it's a false accusation of child abuse because her baby fell, having nothing to do with r@pe.

I'm not sure this is true. The story is based on a true story that happened to the author who lost a child.

Well, then I have the title wrong. It must have been a different story - one they didn't continue for some reason.

Mama Bear

Post Sat, Jan 08 2011, 9:48 pm
I still have the first issue. I went back and read it. Not a hint of rape anywhere.

Didnt see a hint of rape in any article... Dont knwo what youre talking about.

dveikus

Post Sat, Jan 08 2011, 10:06 pm
Well, in my issue it was there, and my mother read it as well. It was quite clear. Maybe they had different first editions for different locations? To gauge the reaction?

ETA: I think it was in the women's section "Ami Living."

Mama Bear

Post Sat, Jan 08 2011, 10:28 pm
Hmmm which article was it then if not that one?

dveikus

Post Sat, Jan 08 2011, 10:58 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
Hmmm which article was it then if not that one?

The one whose plot was as I described. I'll try and see if I still have it saved. What was on the cover?

Mama Bear

Post Sat, Jan 08 2011, 11:24 pm
On the cover you have the freegans I think.

Bleemee

Post Sun, Jan 09 2011, 12:59 am
stickyfingers wrote:
Well, in my issue it was there, and my mother read it as well. It was quite clear. Maybe they had different first editions for different locations? To gauge the reaction?

ETA: I think it was in the women's section "Ami Living."
I think you should be very very sure of yourself, actually able to quote the actual sentences straight from the magazine before posting something like that.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Jan 09 2011, 1:37 am
I['m sorry but I reread the first issue with the serial the Crib in the Attic, and while it does mention medical conditions and restoring reputations, not a word about all the other things you mention. I can even scan it in for you.

life'sgreat

Post Sun, Jan 09 2011, 2:02 am
I don't get this need for the groveling and gossip in trying to find out why it was recalled.

Tova

Post Sun, Jan 09 2011, 10:19 am
It's not groveling or gossiping...it's a human interest aspect.

When a new magazine pulls an issue off of the shelves it is assumed they wouldn't do it lightly. There is a financial aspect and a need to establish themselves. It is interesting to know WHAT the line was crossed...what is passable/ praiseworthy to print and at what point it needs to be pulled. And what would we think of reading the censor-worthy article...do we feel the same hashkafically as the decision-makers? Would we have been upset/offended, etc. to find it published?

It's very interesting and I am curious myself what caused the decision!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room