Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Real Food MM - What would you include?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

bigsis144

Post Thu, Feb 10 2011, 5:12 am
alpidarkomama wrote:
I think this year I'm doing a mini-loaf of whole wheat oatmeal bread, homemade strawberry jam, and ? Should be fun!!!! Smile

Peanuts or peanut butter for a PBJ MM! Smile

greeneyes

Post Thu, Feb 10 2011, 6:26 am
My favorite MM are always the ones with real food. I don't like eating the nosh, so food is actually something I can enjoy. Someone once gave me a container of fresh fruit salad, & a homemade mini cheesecake. I really enjoyed that one. I think salad is a great idea, I'd be very happy to get that. I don't know where you live, but here in Brooklyn you can get little salad dressing containers (the kind they use at restaurants) at most paper/party good type stores. Someone we know gives a cold cuts sandwich every year, which is nice and always appreciated.

Liba

Post Thu, Feb 10 2011, 6:41 am
I am the breakfast lady. Smile I make bagels and give them out with a 1oz little plastic kiddush cup of cream cheese and a bag of chocolate milk (non Israelis would have to substitute something else here Very Happy ).

All gets put in a pretty bowl lined with a coordinating napkin, put in a plastic bag and tied with a piece of coordinating cloth made into ribbon.

We have people come early for magila (DH leins in my house) to eat their breakfast that they know is waiting here for them.

gold21

Post Thu, Feb 10 2011, 4:11 pm
I have done containers with veggies: baby carrots, kirbies, cherry tomatoes, with a small container of dip (plus a drink for another bracha). I have also done ceasar salad in a container with dressing and croutons on the side (plus drink). not sure what im doing this year... I have seen deli sandwiches with pickles on the side, bagels and cream cheese with iced coffee, homemade potato kugel ( a la twizzlers), homemade cakes and cookies.... Anything's better than nosh, to be honest, since theres so much of it given out every purim!

cbmom

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 3:16 am
To the people who send soup:
What type do you send? What size container?
How did you wrap the soup and/or the rolls?

peacemom

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 4:28 am
I usually send a bottle of wine, deli roll and a container of cole slaw.

yaelh

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 4:35 am
I want to give out mini-potato kugels with a beer. Any ideas of anything else we can include to top it off? My husband thinks we need something additional since the kugel will be small

merelyme

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 4:39 am
yaelh wrote:
I want to give out mini-potato kugels with a beer. Any ideas of anything else we can include to top it off? My husband thinks we need something additional since the kugel will be small

pretzels?

yaelh

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 4:41 am
merelyme wrote:
yaelh wrote:

pretzels?

Do You think that compliments it well?

merelyme

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 4:42 am
it goes with the beer but not the kugel.

zissy2004

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 5:06 am
Since my DH works in a fish shop he gave a nice platter with fish (gefilte, fishballs and a salmon in the middle) but its really expensive so we only gave it to a few people but they all used it for the seudah.

sarahd

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 5:09 am
I usually give a marinated vegetable salad with wonton crisps. Also a small bag with hamentaschen, just for tradition. I have gotten very good feedback about it.

I also give ptcha to my SIL and dh's chavrusa, who appreciate it.

My question is what to give our rov. I'm not sure if he will eat my homemade stuff and I can't ask the rebetzin, since we're friends and she would feel funny saying no. OT1H, they surely don't need more nash or wine, OTOH I want it to look nice since as I say we're pretty friendly.

OP, as you see real food is very much appreciated by its recipients. Carry on!

mosma

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 5:47 am
I want to give a bagel and a small container of tuna fish and I guess a box drink (chocolate milk? juice?).
any ideas of what else to add? any ideas for a small poem or rhyme? (something along the lines of "on purim there's no time to munch so here's something you can have for lunch...")

I love getting real food shalach manos.
Last year I did garlic sticks and different dips.

sunny90

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 10:35 am
This year I think I'm doing a breakfasty kind of thing--so I'm baking (onion) rolls and giving little jars of honey and jam and those little wedges of cheese. I think I'll add in the instant packs of coffee and maybe a cinnamon roll in each one if I have time. Does that sound good or is there something I should add/not put in?

ttbtbm

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 1:36 pm
sarahd wrote:

My question is what to give our rov. I'm not sure if he will eat my homemade stuff and I can't ask the rebetzin, since we're friends and she would feel funny saying no. OT1H, they surely don't need more nash or wine, OTOH I want it to look nice since as I say we're pretty friendly.

I have also been wondering what to give our rav. Especially bc I spend more on that MM, I would like it to be something they actually appreciate!

Ronit

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 1:42 pm
ttbtbm wrote:
sarahd wrote:

I have also been wondering what to give our rav. Especially bc I spend more on that MM, I would like it to be something they actually appreciate!
How about something for the sueda that is bought?

eg: Deli, smoked fish, fruit, or vegi platter.

sky

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 3:40 pm
ttbtbm wrote:
sarahd wrote:

I find out what bottle of wine they like and give that. I figure its something they can use on shabbos or Purim.

sky

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 3:43 pm
cbmom wrote:
To the people who send soup:
What type do you send? What size container?
How did you wrap the soup and/or the rolls?

I send a pareve split pea vegetable soup. I don't want to send anything that spoils easily like a meat or chicken soup.
I send it in tall plastic containers.
I include 2 onion rolls.
I wrap the onion rolls sepratly in a plastic bag (nicer thick bag) so they stay fresh. Place on top of soup and wrap in a plastic bag and tie with ribbon. One year I wanted to be nicer so I put the soup container in a painted planter before wrapping. but I've decided its a waste so I just use a thicker plastic bag.

[I think I'm going to give soup again this year, I was thinking of switching but 3 people already told me they hope they get it so they will have lunch on Purim day.]

yo'ma

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 4:57 pm
I thought of giving chummus with falafel balls in a container and israeli salad in another container and pita, but my dh knocked that idea down. I don't know why he doesn't like those type of things. Anyway, we're going to give c.c. cookies with chocolate milk or juice box. Is that considered realy food? Smile I think it's a bit of a compromise, I like read food and he likes nosh.

sarahd

Post Mon, Feb 21 2011, 6:07 am
sky wrote:
ttbtbm wrote:
sarahd wrote:

I find out what bottle of wine they like and give that. I figure its something they can use on shabbos or Purim.

So the rebbetzin told me last year they got over 100 bottles of wine. We're not talking Concord or Malaga wine either, for the most part.

They get such elaborate stuff that they don't need my fish platter (they have five others) or my fruit and vegetable platter either (they can open their own greengrocery.)

I have considered all this stuff and end up at square one each time. Argh.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics