Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Vulgar word?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Motek

Post Tue, Sep 12 2006, 7:46 pm
mommyabc123 wrote:
and was once very surprised to see it in a frum publication (of course an apology was given the next week!). I always think people just don't know any better. Confused

That had to be the case with the magazine, that it was used to mean "messed up" and the editor was innocent enough not to know it was used in other ways.

by the way, I don't appreciate it when people say, "p.o'd" either, abbreviating it doesn't help, IMO

anon

Post Tue, Sep 12 2006, 9:34 pm
I sometimes use the terms "suck" and "pissed off" and, without fail, dh always gets mad at me.

amother

Post Tue, Sep 12 2006, 10:44 pm
When I was younger my father was driving my sister and I someplace and I remember saying something like: That sucks!
My father stopped the car and said dont you ever say that again. It really saced me and impacted me so much that now I really hesitate before using that language!

healthymama

Post Tue, Sep 12 2006, 11:22 pm
I don't think there is anything wrong with using a word if you are not intending it to be mean something vulgar. Language changes all the time. Tie the knot, rule of thumb, etc. These are all expressions that we use nowadays that meant quite impolite things in days goneby.

Additionally, there are so many regular words that can be used to imply s-xual meaning, we would have to cut out many normal terms from our vocabulary (I.e. eat) just to be able converse.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Sep 13 2006, 2:00 am
mommyabc123 wrote:

I always am surprised & shocked to hear frum ppl use these terms

I don't know... some frum people are VERY vulgar...

Ozmom

Post Wed, Sep 13 2006, 4:19 am
Quote:
I don't think there is anything wrong with using a word if you are not intending it to be mean something vulgar. Language changes all the time. Tie the knot, rule of thumb, etc. These are all expressions that we use nowadays that meant quite impolite things in days goneby.

healthymama I don't know what those expressions used to mean and I don't want to know but even before I knew what words like "sucks" and "screwed" means I thought they sounded vulgar.

I have used screwed the same way motek has used it (as in messed up) but also felt that maybe its better I don't. Especially after finding out what it means.

IBR

Post Wed, Sep 13 2006, 9:27 am
Yeh I got to admit it was in eye opener to see how many frum people use language much worse than what is being talked about here being a baalas tshuvah I got to say I guess I was very naive. They call themselves frum people in NY in Canada wherver you want WE LIVE IN GOLUS and working with non jews effects people very much. Ksiva vehatima tova leshana tova begashmius u beruchnius. Hashem should help that this golus should be over before Rosh Hashana. (Think about no cooking no cleaning no dishes free meal in Yerushalaim) sounds good ha?

jewgal84

Post Wed, Sep 13 2006, 5:38 pm
Amen!

amother

Post Thu, Apr 19 2007, 12:47 pm
I was shock to see a poster I admire use a vulgarity in her post this week. Sad

amother

Post Thu, Apr 19 2007, 12:53 pm
I got used to using some of those words before realizing how bad they were, and it's hard to stop once you get into the habit

greenfire

Post Thu, Apr 19 2007, 1:12 pm
although I'm bad and use these words ... I have pointed in out to young aidel girls that it was inappropriate ... I figured they should know ... cause they wouldn't be using them if they did

does this help moichel me ... for any of the words I say ... maybe ... maybe not

amother

Post Thu, Apr 19 2007, 1:13 pm
Phrasal Verbs:

suck in
To take advantage of; cheat; swindle.

suck up Slang
To behave obsequiously; fawn

Ruchel

Post Thu, Apr 19 2007, 1:18 pm
lol!!

downsyndrome

Post Thu, Apr 19 2007, 1:26 pm
I am offering a public apology and begging for mechilla! (OMG, just realized that some people use the word 'mechilla' in a way we wouldn't want to here shock ). I am guilty of having written 'pissed off' on a post yesterday, and to tell you quite honestly, I never knew what it means! To me it meant - Frustrated and upset. I had no clue that it had any vulgar connotations. I do try hard to be makpid with my language and I am very careful with the language spoken in our home too.
I may come across strongly and highly emotional in some of my posts and may use descriptive words of emotion, but I never intended to resort to vulgarity.
I AM SORRY embarrassed embarrassed Crying Crying embarrassed embarrassed
Al Chait Shechutuni...

Squash

Post Thu, Apr 19 2007, 1:30 pm
mechila in a different way? omg Down, I thought that was only MY family!!!!! Rolling Laughter

But yes, I have learned that when it comes to slang, I better be sure to know what it actually means (rather than just context) before I use it.

gryp

Post Thu, Apr 19 2007, 1:44 pm
I'll admit it does bother me to see vulgar expressions used on here.

greenfire

Post Thu, Apr 19 2007, 1:53 pm
I'm slow what else does mechilla mean

chen

Post Fri, Apr 20 2007, 1:42 pm
greenfire wrote:
I'm slow what else does mechilla mean

That makes two of us, but I suppose I'd rather not know.
The reality is that words that are used as euphemisms for vulgarity eventually become so associated with that vulgarity that they become vulgar themselves, even if less so than the original.

A friend of our family used a certain innocuous word to describe feces when she was toilet training her children. I can no longer hear that innocuous word--which has zero to do with bodily functions of any sort--without thinking of feces. She ruined that perfectly innocent word for me.

Squash

Post Fri, Apr 20 2007, 1:48 pm
I don't know why, but mechila could also mean your behind.

amother

Post Sun, Apr 22 2007, 5:24 pm
Squash wrote:
I don't know why, but mechila could also mean your behind.

Like my son's rebbi who called it "excuse me" - same as "mechila."
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics