Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Why Did My Daughter's Teacher Assign A Project Today?!?!
Previous  1  2

sequoia

Post Thu, Apr 07 2011, 8:36 am
Ruchel, your parents never helped you with your homework?

I was a conscientious and independent student but I still needed my parents' help from time to time.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Apr 07 2011, 8:45 am
I remember of what, two times?
In both cases it "shouldn't have been done". It wasn't meant to happen, homework is for the child.

amother

Post Thu, Apr 07 2011, 9:30 am
The project was assigned to a middle elementary grade. Not junior high or high school. Most projects at this age require help. Even minimal help such as assisting in the library and purchasing supplies for the presentaton. Even if a very bright and independent 9 year old can do the research, write up the report and come up with and put together a presentation she/he will still need logistical assistance. Most of the project is due after Pesach. However, some parts are due before. A 9 year old cannot do this on his/her own.

shoshina

Post Thu, Apr 07 2011, 9:37 am
Amother...the teacher assigned a project because it is her job to teach your child and part of that includes assigning your child work to do at home. I imagine that her teacher would prefer LESS involvement from the parents and more of the child's own work! As for having the students do the project "in class" isn't' there anything else they should be learning?

Do you continue to do your job the week and a half before Pesach? I know I'm supposed to!

amother

Post Thu, Apr 07 2011, 11:57 am
shoshina wrote:
Amother...the teacher assigned a project because it is her job to teach your child and part of that includes assigning your child work to do at home. I imagine that her teacher would prefer LESS involvement from the parents and more of the child's own work! As for having the students do the project "in class" isn't' there anything else they should be learning?

Do you continue to do your job the week and a half before Pesach? I know I'm supposed to!

I most certainly do continue my work a week and a half before Pesach. Because I work in a frum environment my boss does cut us some slack this time of year and wouldn't put extra work on us now. I am not doing the report for dd but since she is 9 some of it cannot be completed without me. (ex. spending time in the library doing "research" - she's 9 remember, but it does take time.) Shoshina, you saw how previous posters commented that some schools don't give any homework at this time (especially since most moms need to continue to do their jobs the week and a half before Pesach) why would a tracher assign an extra project during this week and a half of all week and a halves of the year? Wink

life'sgreat

Post Thu, Apr 07 2011, 12:07 pm
shoshina wrote:

I don't know which type of school the OP's kids go to, but there's no homework at all for the younger kids that are still in school past Rosh Chodesh Nissan in our schools. It isn't a time where parents should be busy focusing on helping their kids do their homework (or even just be on top of them that it gets done). It's a time for kids to help prep for Pesach.

farm

Post Thu, Apr 07 2011, 12:25 pm
[quote="shoshina"]Amother...I imagine that her teacher would prefer LESS involvement from the parents and more of the child's own work! quote]
Right, except her daughter will work hard to get it done without help and then get a lower grade than her friend who brings in a neatly typed error free beautifully crafted report/project, regardless of whose mother had more or less involvement.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Apr 07 2011, 12:32 pm
Should we also encourage children to cheat? It's help, too.

If you are sure a child asked his parents for help, report it (without names first!).

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Apr 07 2011, 12:37 pm
[quote="farm"]
shoshina wrote:
Amother...I imagine that her teacher would prefer LESS involvement from the parents and more of the child's own work! quote]
Right, except her daughter will work hard to get it done without help and then get a lower grade than her friend who brings in a neatly typed error free beautifully crafted report/project, regardless of whose mother had more or less involvement.

that's a question of who the teacher is. I had a teacher for a couple of years who definitely valued expensive, polished looking projects over well-researched projects done by the kids. I had an argument with her over grades and got her to give me a better one, but not what I felt my projects deserved. I felt this was unfair to those of us whose parents couldn't afford to buy expensive office supplies for us. some teachers appreciate real work, though.

amother

Post Thu, Apr 07 2011, 1:35 pm
life'sgreat wrote:
shoshina wrote:

I don't know which type of school the OP's kids go to, but there's no homework at all for the younger kids that are still in school past Rosh Chodesh Nissan in our schools. It isn't a time where parents should be busy focusing on helping their kids do their homework (or even just be on top of them that it gets done). It's a time for kids to help prep for Pesach.

My 4th grader doesn't even bring her totebag home!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children