Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Hysterical video for Pesach! Who is this woman??
Previous  1  2  3  Next

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Apr 17 2011, 12:11 am
Why do we have to post yentish comments about this woman? She put up a comedic video for us to enjoy, not to scrutinize her level of religiosity or personal life.

Depressed

Post Sun, Apr 17 2011, 12:46 am
Maybe she is portraying why she is 'no longer one of us', if I had a teacher like this in Machon Chana or Neve, I would of run like H**..

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Apr 17 2011, 1:31 am
Danielle Jacobs? I asked my mother, who has all the DvDs, says she was HILARIOUS on the Sound of Music. So what, if she's more modern than many of us... she's still frum, she's still shomer torah u'mitzvos.

c.c.cookie

Post Sun, Apr 17 2011, 2:36 am
I found her hilarious in The Gift of Music, and also as Aunt Fay in Oliver with a Twist. She's unbelievably talented, which is why, frankly, once I made the connection who she is, I found her videos a bit pathetic. COME ON! She's so much more talented than these dumb videos of herself on Youtube!

amother

Post Sun, Apr 17 2011, 6:27 am
Seriously, people?

I'm quite yeshivish and this discussion is turning ME off!

c.c.cookie

Post Sun, Apr 17 2011, 6:33 am
amother wrote:
Seriously, people?

Not sure what you're referring to, but what I wrote had nothing to do with yeshivish. A woman that talented is, IMO, lowering herself by posting such silly videoes on Youtube. She's WAY better than that!

estibesty

Post Sun, Apr 17 2011, 11:18 am
she used to be a yeshivish girl in machon she still frum now just a little more modern but she awesome

Isramom8

Post Sun, Apr 17 2011, 11:24 am
If she is just being cute, fine.
If she intends that everything the "rebbetzin" says is actually ludicrous, not fine, because the "rebbetzin", although a caricature, has some valid basic points.

amother

Post Sun, Apr 17 2011, 12:26 pm
c.c.cookie wrote:
amother wrote:
Seriously, people?

Not sure what you're referring to, but what I wrote had nothing to do with yeshivish. A woman that talented is, IMO, lowering herself by posting such silly videoes on Youtube. She's WAY better than that!

Quoted amother here.

c.c., was not referring to you at all. The whole yentish discussion about if she is still frum, used to be frummer, what school she went to etc. is really bothering me.

Isramom, I agree with you in theory, but I think it's wrong to pick her apart based on her past, under the guise of deciding if we think she's funny or not. She writes many times that she is not intending any harm, and that it's all in good fun etc. Her exact background is irrelevant, whether or not you believe these kinds of satirical videos are appropriate.

c.c.cookie

Post Sun, Apr 17 2011, 12:43 pm
amother wrote:
c.c.cookie wrote:
amother wrote:
Seriously, people?

Quoted amother here.

c.c., was not referring to you at all. The whole yentish discussion about if she is still frum, used to be frummer, what school she went to etc. is really bothering me.

Isramom, I agree with you in theory, but I think it's wrong to pick her apart based on her past, under the guise of deciding if we think she's funny or not. She writes many times that she is not intending any harm, and that it's all in good fun etc. Her exact background is irrelevant, whether or not you believe these kinds of satirical videos are appropriate.

I completely understand what you are saying, but I disagree. The "who" is relevant, whether or not it's wrong of us to discuss it. Someone inside a community poking fun at it is not the same as someone from the outside doing the same. There is a famous black comedian who makes fun of "niggers". He can only get away with the things he says, because he himself is black. If a white guy would make the same jokes they'd be racist and in very bad taste. Same here - if I poke fun at a "rebbetzin" - it's obviously meant to be cute, and I don't respect her any less. If someone from the "outside" makes fun of her - then that's just what she's doing - making fun.

Depressed

Post Sun, Apr 17 2011, 12:45 pm
Isramom8 wrote:
If she intends that everything the "rebbetzin" says is actually ludicrous, not fine, because the "rebbetzin", although a caricature, has some valid basic points.

I think she is holding up a mirror.. These rebbitzens can have all the valid points in the world, once you get in front of a class and act like a buffoon and turn off girls all your points go down the drain...

I speak to at-risk girls all the time so I know what Im talking about...

chatouli

Post Sun, Apr 17 2011, 1:57 pm
c.c.cookie wrote:
There is a famous black comedian who makes fun of "niggers". He can only get away with the things he says, because he himself is black. If a white guy would make the same jokes they'd be racist and in very bad taste. Same here - if I poke fun at a "rebbetzin" - it's obviously meant to be cute, and I don't respect her any less. If someone from the "outside" makes fun of her - then that's just what she's doing - making fun.

On an unrelated note, does anyone else think it's a little odd that on Imamother we can apparently type out the "n word" but not s*x?

ChossidMom

Post Sun, Apr 17 2011, 2:52 pm
I didn't analyze this to death and I didn't examine her level of frumkeit. I found the video slow at first and then it got so funny that I was laughing out loud! Thanks, Danielle!!! You're good! And I really needed that laugh on erev Pesach.

Isramom8

Post Sun, Apr 17 2011, 2:58 pm
Depressed wrote:
Isramom8 wrote:

I think she is holding up a mirror.. These rebbitzens can have all the valid points in the world, once you get in front of a class and act like a buffoon and turn off girls all your points go down the drain...

I speak to at-risk girls all the time so I know what Im talking about...

Who says the rebbetzins like this are acting like buffoons, or acting at all? A problem with today's seminary girls (and I have worked with many) is that they look at the outside, at how a teacher looks and talks, rather than the inside, I.e. the content of her words and thoughts. A teacher like RLZ may be eccentric but sincere. You can choose to view her weirdness as endearing.

I agree that this Danielle should not be picked apart. I guess if you go on YouTube you kind of put yourself at that risk.

chavamom

Post Sun, Apr 17 2011, 3:05 pm
c.c.cookie wrote:

I completely understand what you are saying, but I disagree. The "who" is relevant, whether or not it's wrong of us to discuss it. Someone inside a community poking fun at it is not the same as someone from the outside doing the same. There is a famous black comedian who makes fun of "niggers". He can only get away with the things he says, because he himself is black. If a white guy would make the same jokes they'd be racist and in very bad taste. Same here - if I poke fun at a "rebbetzin" - it's obviously meant to be cute, and I don't respect her any less. If someone from the "outside" makes fun of her - then that's just what she's doing - making fun.

How many people were upset when "Chayeh Suri" posted her video. She is not "one of them" either. Double standard much?

amother

Post Sun, Apr 17 2011, 3:12 pm
I thought it was not that funny because it was too realistic (although I did snort a few times).

bnos chava anyone? there is a teacher there who would literally give a class like this lol.

c.c.cookie

Post Sun, Apr 17 2011, 3:13 pm
chavamom wrote:
c.c.cookie wrote:

How many people were upset when "Chayeh Suri" posted her video. She is not "one of them" either. Double standard much?

I have no problem with either "Chayeh Suri" or the "Rebbetzin"'s videos. I'm just saying I can see why it would make a difference to s/o whether she was Yeshivishe or not. Just like I would totally understand if s/o Chassidish was offended by "Chayeh Suri" - which I'm sure some were.

Seraph

Post Sun, Apr 17 2011, 4:09 pm
Oh my. She used to go to machon?

Now it all hit me. I know exactly who she is imitating! That rebetzin was my sem teacher, and Danielle got her down to a T- from the high pitched voice to the nuances to the mild stuttering. OMG, I'm cracking up so much now that I figured it all out!

For the record- I loved the rebbetzin she's imitating.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Apr 17 2011, 4:15 pm
Danielle *is* from 'our' community. She went to our schools and sems. who cares what stripe of yiddishkeit she belongs to. she was educated in 'our' schools and is imitating the teachers she had. I was not offended by the videos. it's hilarious.

mimimom

Post Sun, Apr 17 2011, 6:01 pm
Who's been taking grumpy pills?
She's a riot!!! I think she taught me parsha at Machon Ora.
;-)
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics