Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
At what age did you start making Pesach?
Previous  1  2  3

At what age did you start making Pesach at home?
19-24  
 57%  [ 111 ]
25-30  
 36%  [ 71 ]
31-36  
 4%  [ 8 ]
37-42  
 1%  [ 2 ]
Forties  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Fifties  
 0%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 193

yOungM0mmy

Post Thu, Apr 28 2011, 12:45 pm
Made 1/2 pesach the third year I was married (at my parents for seder) with a 2 year old, a 1 year old and a 6 week old baby, age 24. Since then have done the whole thing, no parents coming to us.
Bought everything ourselves, but did very simple and cheap. Table top stove, convection microwave oven, mini food processor second hand from my aunt, stick blender, and everything else by hand including grater, bought some pots and pans spread over the first two years, and use a serving set that we got as a wedding gift and never used. Cheap supermarket plain white plates and simple cutlery, or plastic if we have more guests.

Gerbera

Post Thu, Apr 28 2011, 12:47 pm
We don't have excess cash and things are quite tight for us but the first year we were both working and managed to buy a lot of the stuff then. I use disposable and buy stuff throughout the year and add it to the closet so when Pesach comes I have all the plates, cutlery, cups, bowls, etc that I need. I dont have a mixer or food processor, but I DO have a hand blender. I use tin foil pans - bought them for 47 cents each. We eat A LOT of salads and just eat simply for other things. I don't bake desserts - we eat fruit and will dip strawberries in chocolate, etc. I make a lot of soups - hot and cold. I keep a list of what I make from year to year and what I bought and what was left over, etc so I know for the following year what I need to buy. I bought Ziploc bags from Costco 4 years ago that I am still using. I don't find it to be too bad if you are organized about stuff.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Apr 28 2011, 1:33 pm
when I got married. I had just turned 22.

zaq

Post Thu, Apr 28 2011, 1:50 pm
Define "making Pesach". Making sedarim, with or without guests, or cleaning a house and kashering it for Pesach?

Simple1

Post Thu, Apr 28 2011, 1:56 pm
Mevater wrote:
Sorry, I forgot to ask-

Who paid for all the dishes, flatware pots and pans and appliances the frst year???

We bought all our own dishes. But we are building up a collection gradually. You don't need to buy everything at once. One example - you don't have to have a set of dishes for milchig - you can use plastic. Also we have used nice disposable dishes for the seder and for the ke-ara and got a nice inexpensive Matza cover from closeout connection.

I don't remember when we first made Pesach. But it wasn't the whole Pesach at once - we went away for half and stayed home for half. I would guess people with families overseas are more likely to be making their own Pesach sooner. On the other hand, those who live a long drive away from parents use Pesach as an opportunity to reunite with their family.

Regarding hosting your parents - also depends on whose home is bigger, and do they still have single children at home etc...

red sea

Post Thu, Apr 28 2011, 3:32 pm
Making pesach with minimal food, eating mostly out, right from the start.

Made sedarim I think it was the fifth pesach married.

Been slowly acquiring the kitchen stuff from the beginning. Extra wedding gifts, then buying one or two things each year, because pesach is not a shock, you kind of know that one day you will need this stuff and if you don't see affording it in one fell swoop, or know it would be too big a job to get all at once, you can plan ahead. Besides, this is the one week a year I beleive in using as much disposables as possible so it feels like y"t for the dish washers too.

ora_43

Post Thu, Apr 28 2011, 3:42 pm
Dealing with cleaning and food - 18, but I still went out for the sedarim (I paid (student seders) or helped prepare) (and "dealing with food" meant "eating bananas and diet coke for a week." In retrospect, not a good idea).

Making seder for myself and others - 23.

We're home for most of chag every year. I've still gone out for seder more years than not, though.

curlyhead

Post Thu, Apr 28 2011, 4:25 pm
2nd year married with a 2 month old baby. But we did not eat yomtov meals at home that year. It took us a few year to start doing sedarim. Now we do it all at home. Now I find it easier to do the sedarim then go out with young kids. Only went out for 1 meal this year.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Apr 28 2011, 4:28 pm
Sorry, I forgot to ask-

Who paid for all the dishes, flatware pots and pans and appliances the frst year???

Our Pesach china was our wedding china -- we received 14 complete place settings and I love that my best and favorite china is for Pesach! Some of our Pesach stuff was wedding presents. We kashered silverware or used plastic for years. Every year we add something to our Pesach collection.

gila-rina

Post Thu, Apr 28 2011, 4:32 pm
19, not the sedarim thought. Used whatever extra pots I got for shower/chasuna presents + disposables. 12 years later I still get a thing or two new each year.

ILOVELIFE

Post Thu, Apr 28 2011, 7:00 pm
first 3 years of marriage, I cooked for my parents and schlepped all the food over to them and helped them clean up

Then, we started hosting them. I was 21

Peanut2

Post Thu, Apr 28 2011, 10:12 pm
What does "making pesach" mean?

DH and I haven't hosted a seder. We did clean our place and ate most meals there last year, but not the sedarim (though we almost had to.) That was our first year married.

But I've been cleaning my own place for pesach since somewhere between 19 and 21. I went home for Passover most of the times, but sometimes stayed at my place (which was never anywhere near my parents) and so had to make sure my kitchen was kosher, my chametz sold, apartment cleaned up, basic dishes and food available (I'm not the kind to survive on bananas and coke for a week.)

Making a big seder is definitely expensive with the cost of food and wine. Even just buying passover food - like DH and I did last year (especially since we wanted some nice food for yom tov meals) can get expensive. It's annoying, and my best way to deal is to cook lots from raw ingredients, so when pesach is over the leftovers are delicious and not stuff that seems like yucky passover stuff.

Dishes can be cheap and you can slowly invest in nicer stuff throughout the year. People tend not to kasher anything, but there's lots you can, actually.

Become friends with non-frum Jews, invite them to your seder, which is a huge mitzva especially if they wouldn't go to or have one otherwise, and as an immediate benefit and bonus rely on them to buy and bring wine. Which is something the only thing that you can reliably ask them to bring as they watch you cooking and cooking and repeatedly ask what they can bring...
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics