Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Openminded chareidi girls high school
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother

Post Wed, Jun 15 2011, 6:54 am
Does anyone have ideas about a therapeutic high school for my American daughter, age 16? Thanks.

Isramom8

Post Wed, Jun 15 2011, 8:09 am
cinnamon wrote:
Isramom8 wrote:
Lustig in Netanya

Lustig is in ramat gan (ramat chen to be exact) and though it is opened minded (read modern) it is not geered twoards americans at all. they do have a full bagrut.
I know some of the girls that will be going there next year (nineth grade) and a few of them spent summers in american sleepaway camps (chedva, shira, rannenu) so they should know some english. I would imagine there are girls who wpent summers in america in different grades as well.

Right - Lustig is in Ramat Gan.
It has a modern name, but there are not-so-modern girls who also go there.
Too modern for me personally to consider in a normal case. But I know not-so-modern Chareidi families who send/will send.

laykee

Post Wed, Jun 15 2011, 3:37 pm
Olamot is for girls who are at risk. It is a great school, but not geared for a girl who is doing well in a charedi school, either in the US or Israel

amother

Post Wed, Jun 15 2011, 3:46 pm
I don't think Ko Tomar is the right school for someone who's just made aliyah, unless they're prepared to keep to the entire takanon (which becomes more and more difficult every year), keep their head down and mouth shut, and NEVER ch"v ask questions.
My sister is there now (I was there too but left after 11th grade to go to New Gateshead) and the only reason she's able to do well there is because she knows how to play the game. Most girls from chul will not be able to.
If she's academic and willing to work hard, Dupark is probably better for her.

ChossidMom

Post Wed, Jun 15 2011, 3:55 pm
The new school in Ramat Bet Shemesh, where my niece goes is called Peninat Chen.
That one is definitely geared to the more American crowd. Just know that the takanon is more relaxed than other places (hoodies, nail polish, etc. allowed).

shevi82

Post Wed, Jun 15 2011, 3:59 pm
I hope the parent's will think long and hard before moving to Israel with a teenage girl and probably making her life miserable.

ChossidMom

Post Wed, Jun 15 2011, 4:03 pm
shevi82 wrote:
I hope the parent's will think long and hard before moving to Israel with a teenage girl and probably making her life miserable.

I agree. All you need to do is look around at girls this age who came from the U.S. to see that the timing is wrong. Many of these girls fall between the cracks. Rabbi Nachman Bulman zt"l, who was so for aliyah, changed his tune when he had to deal with so many girls who just couldn't find their niche here. Sad but true.

Isramom8

Post Wed, Jun 15 2011, 4:04 pm
Ko Tomar 's takanon (dress and behavior code) is over the top IMHO (more strict and long than other BYs) but I hear that questions can be raised in class and the teachers are happy to discuss. Moreso than in other Chareidi BYs.

I wish there were a BY high school like Ofakim seminary, which is Chareidi and the girls are encouraged to discuss hashkafos.

shevi82

Post Wed, Jun 15 2011, 4:06 pm
I happen to know a family who asked Rabbi Bulman zt"l if they should come with pre teen and early teen kids and he said not to.

shevi82

Post Wed, Jun 15 2011, 4:09 pm
Isramom8 wrote:
Ko Tomar 's takanon (dress and behavior code) is over the top IMHO (more strict and long than other BYs) but I hear that questions can be raised in class and the teachers are happy to discuss. Moreso than in other Chareidi BYs.

I wish there were a BY high school like Ofakim seminary, which is Chareidi and the girls are encouraged to discuss hashkafos.

I hear Rav Kook (Ali Beer) in yerushalaim is like that. I even heard Rabbi Orlofsky speak about what a great school it is.

Isramom8

Post Wed, Jun 15 2011, 4:26 pm
Yes, I was interested in Kook BY but my dd decided that she didn't want to live with a family in Yerushalayim (we are in the center - not Yerushalayim). And the school was not quick to accept either - it would have required major pushing.

amother

Post Wed, Jun 15 2011, 4:34 pm
Isramom8 wrote:

Of course you can ask questions. If you want to be hounded about your "attitude" for the rest of your time in the school (which will probably not be long because they'll find some way to kick you out). Unless, of course, your parents have protektzia in which case they'll somehow manage to turn a blind eye.
This is not only from my personal experience, I know many girls who are/were in that school. It's heartbreaking. Crying

Isramom8

Post Wed, Jun 15 2011, 4:41 pm
Think what you like but dress with tznius and don't make waves, is the attitude. My dds did this and didn't get into trouble (well, my second dd opened her mouth a little in 12th grade), but it stifled something in them. B"H afterwards they soared in Ofakim. Their BY actually encouraged them to go there for grade 13 instead of staying on.

My oldest dd was praised for her refeshing perspective - which was not "too" daring - she was wise in being guarded.

And that, folks, is what it's like. You choose between that and a modern school.

amother

Post Wed, Jun 15 2011, 8:02 pm
what do you mean by a modern school? whats it like and which firls would go there? I guess im just a bit confused abt what the categories in israel mean?

Mirchrude

Post Wed, Jun 15 2011, 10:19 pm
op here. Has anyone heard of the school "beit Bina" in yerushalaim? Any info abt it?

Isramom8

Post Thu, Jun 16 2011, 7:02 am
amother wrote:
what do you mean by a modern school? whats it like and which firls would go there? I guess im just a bit confused abt what the categories in israel mean?

For the purpose of this thread, I will say "not Chareidi" or "not really BY".

cinnamon

Post Thu, Jun 16 2011, 7:45 am
Isramom8 wrote:
amother wrote:

For the purpose of this thread, I will say "not Chareidi" or "not really BY".

I wouldn't say "not chareidi" since they are dafinitly not DL/MO so I would go with not really BY
They have a more linient dress code some girls come from not great families their is a high risk of girls being exposed to less then tznius things (movies/music/books etc.) but on the other hand they very much encourage discussing hashkafa and asking any and all questions you have in mind.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jun 17 2011, 4:39 am
Peninat Chen may be more modern, it is a very different feel from chul yeshivish.
Check the Beth Shulamit crowd carefully, it has changed over time...
From personal findings.

lilacdreams

Post Fri, Jun 17 2011, 5:49 am
I checked out beit shulamit for my girls. In the end we decided not to send there but I cannot say enough nice things about some of the staff members who I know personally and Rav Shachor the menahel. He is a real mench. He himself is charedi and a lot of the staf f are too (although the staff is mixed). Its in anice building too.
The girls - there is a strict dress code (no uniform) in school - ie sox and long skirts and sleeves, but from what I see (I know a lot of my dd's friends go there) they don't stick to the dress code after school, and a lot of the girls I know wear skirts over their knees, short sleeves, no sox, flip flops. So there would be peer pressure to dress this way also when getting together with friends out of school.

lilacdreams

Post Fri, Jun 17 2011, 5:50 am
and btw this info is current because my dd is in 9th grade and she has several friends who are there now in 8/9th grade.
Page 2 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions