Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Taking 14 month old for allergy testing tomorrow...
Previous  1  2

Mirabelle

Post Mon, Jun 27 2011, 11:59 am
allrgymama wrote:
@Mirabelle: I was using tons of stuff for DD and found that, surprise! Aveeno works best. They have a specialized Eczema moisturizer and a hydrocortizone cream (that I found works better than any other brand).

We have been using the Aveeno for the past month or so...it certainly calms it down a bit and helps her sleep better (sometimes the itchy skin keeps her up) but it certainly hasn't stopped the maior flare-ups.

Well, I guess we will see what the allergist says!

Mirabelle

Post Mon, Jun 27 2011, 12:00 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
Mirabelle, I hope things go well! As difficult as food allergies may be, I will say that its a relief to know how to protect your child from whatever his body can't handle.

Thanks. This is totally new for me as my other two do not appear to have any food intolerance/allergy issues.

DovDov

Post Mon, Jun 27 2011, 1:23 pm
Another thing to keep in mind is that allergy tests aren't terribly accurate at that age. My pediatrician sent me for allergy tests with my 2 year old because he had a drippy nose literally from 9 months on -- it was like a faucet. Came up completely clean, not allergic to anything. But his nose continued to pour mucus and several months later he had a major asthmatic episode. We redid the allergy tests, this time blood tests, and came up with one potential very mild allergy. We redid again six months later (the asthma was out of control) and came up with a couple of severe allergies. The pediatric allergist said to assume the results were incomplete the second time around and install an air purifier in his room, bathe him every day he was outside to remove pollens, etc., just in case because the tests often come up negative in small children even if they are allergic.

allrgymama

Post Mon, Jun 27 2011, 2:53 pm
@Mirabelle: Have you been using both and have you been using them every day?

When DD had really bad eczema last summer, I was using the moisturizer twice a day and continued using it daily as a preventive measure. In her case, it made a big difference.

drumjj

Post Mon, Jun 27 2011, 4:27 pm
I think my daughter has hayfever, as now her excema is terrible. its really flared up a lot. but as im moving cities there is no point in speaking to her dr about it now.

mushkie

Post Mon, Jun 27 2011, 9:07 pm
things to think about when using creams for eczema:
*creams don't take away the cause of the eczema at all.
they can help with mild eczema, and they can help when the child is not exposed to the allergen anymore.
*also, every person is sensitive to different ingredients in different creams. what might be amazing for one person can make it worse for another.
if your child is allergic to chemicals, only a natural cream will work
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics