Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
The camp thread is making me ill. Seriously.
  Previous  1  2  3 165  166  167  Next

merelyme

Post Tue, Nov 29 2011, 2:34 pm
I just met someone whose parents own a camp.

saw50st8

Post Tue, Nov 29 2011, 2:34 pm
shalhevet wrote:
This is bumped up for those who claimed imamother was boring today. What are you doing with your children over Chanuka? (or is that too serious?).

Let's go for another 165 pages.

RRofl
They are still home with me.

Do schools give off for chanukah? Around here, winter break is a week at the end of January.

zigi

Post Tue, Nov 29 2011, 3:39 pm
my kids get off for the weekend no school friday and sunday for my dd its until tuesday then there is 3 days for winter vacation

causemommysaid

Post Tue, Nov 29 2011, 3:46 pm
saw50st8 wrote:
shalhevet wrote:
This is bumped up for those who claimed imamother was boring today. What are you doing with your children over Chanuka? (or is that too serious?).

RRofl

Do schools give off for chanukah? Around here, winter break is a week at the end of January.

I think in Israel their winter break is chanuka. In America they usually corraspond to the public schools

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Nov 29 2011, 4:31 pm
I missed this thread. Thank you for bringing it back into my life.

Chanuka? I guess I'm back at work then. Or not...if my kids are off? If it coincides with my husband being off, then I guess he'll be providing "camp". Too far away from my reality now. I haven't even worked on finding a babysitter for my baby.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Tue, Nov 29 2011, 4:35 pm
shalhevet wrote:

Good one, Shalhevet!

kitov

Post Tue, Nov 29 2011, 8:23 pm
No off's here. I mean how does the school expect me to make latkes and donuts with children underfoot??????

grace413

Post Tue, Nov 29 2011, 9:33 pm
DH and I are hoping to go on vacation with the kids during Chanukah...but now that I've been looking at hotel prices I'm not sure.....

Since my kids are teens it's too bad they don't want to run day camps during Chanukah and make some money but that's not their style.

RachelEve14

Post Tue, Nov 29 2011, 9:54 pm
grace413 wrote:
DH and I are hoping to go on vacation with the kids during Chanukah...but now that I've been looking at hotel prices I'm not sure.....

Since my kids are teens it's too bad they don't want to run day camps during Chanukah and make some money but that's not their style.

Too bad, I have 4 customers for them!!

My kids will be nice and home, except Avraham Tzvi who has a couple of days of tzharon. I'll be working. Need to start looking for a lovely teenager who wants to run a camp.

Barbara

Post Tue, Nov 29 2011, 10:04 pm
saw50st8 wrote:
shalhevet wrote:

RRofl

It depends on the school, and in large part, it depends on where the school sits on the political spectrum. Most MO schools are off Xmas week, which also happens to be Chanukah this year. Then the further left schools also get off President's Week, which is the public school schedule, and the more right (still MO) schools get off "yeshiva week."

freidasima

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 12:54 am
Here my grandson will probably have the first two days of gan and after that nada. One day us, one day other grandma, and two days mommy tiyul with friends...should take care of the week with shabbos in the middle.

Now here is a serious question. What types of activities are considered "ok" for kids on chanukah in the various "denominations" (for lack of a better word...)? Here in EY the DL kids if they are young do the usual, festival, festigal if one can afford it, going to friends, playdate, home sick, if they are older the movies, tv, chilling out, mall, bnai akiva, friends, etc. Tiyulim for the high school age kids if the weather is decent, also the really older kids get a lot of homework towards matkonot and bagruyot....(matriculations and pre-matric exams).

What about your kids? (this is from memory as I haven't had a kid in high school for four and a half years already....

amother

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 1:26 am
AAMOF, my kids have off the week of Chanukah (or at least the part of it that corresponds to Xmas-New Year's). Dh dearly wanted to spend the week in Israel. We could have taken the whole family for under $1000 airfare. But you will all be proud of me for telling him no go. We receive tuition assistance; how can we justify spending almost $2000 (which it would cost once we took accomodations and travel within Israel plus food into account) on a vacation? We can take that $1000-2000 and give it to the schools. So we are staying home.

This is major mesirus nefesh on my part, since I'm the one who has to entertain four bored kids a whole week.

shalhevet

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 1:44 am
freidasima wrote:
Here my grandson will probably have the first two days of gan and after that nada. One day us, one day other grandma, and two days mommy tiyul with friends...should take care of the week with shabbos in the middle.

Now here is a serious question. What types of activities are considered "ok" for kids on chanukah in the various "denominations" (for lack of a better word...)? Here in EY the DL kids if they are young do the usual, festival, festigal if one can afford it, going to friends, playdate, home sick, if they are older the movies, tv, chilling out, mall, bnai akiva, friends, etc. Tiyulim for the high school age kids if the weather is decent, also the really older kids get a lot of homework towards matkonot and bagruyot....(matriculations and pre-matric exams).

What about your kids? (this is from memory as I haven't had a kid in high school for four and a half years already....

The chareidi boys' chadarim just have a couple of days off - maybe Friday and Sunday IIRC.

Many BY sems make Chanuka tzedaka fetes which occupies everyone - the older girls are busy preparing and running them, the little girls have what to do, at least one day....

Some places show the "kosher" movies (don't get me started...). Otherwise it's friends round, making doughnuts, sometimes visiting family etc.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 7:50 am
There hardly is any winter camp here. Parents ask every year but it's not easy or cheap to organize, apparently (some have also asked for a camp including some time on shabbes! lol). I'm not sending dd to Paris just for camp (commute, traffic jam etc).
Sleep away camp (ski etc) is too expensive for what it provides imho, and I worry about security, and only a couple of sleep away camps start at 3 or 4.

She's out of school 16 Dec to 2 January because they keep civil/laic holidays (let's not discuss that they keep French armistice or Bastille day but not Yom Hatzmaut lol). It will probably NOT be a good time for me to occupy her, my parents have proposed to take her a few days but keeping it for when IYH I'm at hospital, as it will exhaust them so much they can only do it once in these vacations LOL

EmesOrNT

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 7:56 am
My boys just have off friday chanukah. Sunday it's back to normal. O, and there might not be english for the bigger boys, so they could be home in time for lecht bentchen (otherwise, my son comes home close to five.)

Marion

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 8:48 am
DS#3 has no maon on Sunday; DSs #1 & #2 have no tzaharon Wednesday (1st day) and Sunday. My company is doing a fun day at the museum for the kids on the Wednesday, so taking them to that, and they're all going to "Grandma Camp" on Sunday (after DS#3's tipat chalav appointment) so I can go to work for at least half a day. They have care all the other days.

amother
Alyssum

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 6:58 pm
Bumping this up Wink lets see how many more pages we can get

I work very part time but for my mental health I send my kids to camp. They kill each other at home and I can't manage with no structure.
How will I pay for it? Money is in Hashems hands, He will help. He gave me these children he will help take care of their (and my needs). And no we don't go on fancy vacations (or any vacations at all) but I see camp as a necessity

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 10:49 pm
OMG - seeing all these names is bringing. Me back!!!

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 10:52 pm
Did you seriously just bump a thread from 2011?!?

Lol

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Dec 29 2023, 2:03 am
It was mentioned as a candidate for longest conversational thread 😀
Page 166 of 167   Previous  1  2  3 165  166  167  Next Recent Topics