Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
I love living in Eretz Yisrael because ...
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Sue DaNym

Post Mon, Oct 08 2007, 7:04 pm
kmelion those are great pix. I wish I could move to eretz yisrael.

creativemommyto3

Post Tue, Oct 09 2007, 2:05 am
Ruchel wrote:
Quote:
but I live in a City and don't see the niceness that some people mentioned

In Tel aviv I've gotten more mean looks than in any bad area, because dh looks frum

Quote:

In Tel Aviv it depends where. My uncle got his yarmulke knocked off his head by the train in Paris .

It's impossible to be alone. If someone lives here without family you are adopted very quickly by many friends and neighbors.

Many people experiences this loneliness. One of my best friends...

If you come as a single you could go to shul and I am sure someone would invite you for a shabbos meal etc. For families, the ppl are so helpful in times of need and welcoming when you first move in.

Quote:
Someone mentioed that most things that people mentioned is available in Boro Park. Not to forget Monsey too of course.

lol!! but not in most parts of the world!

Quote:
No 2 days of holidays (besides Rosh Hashana)

That's a really great one

Israel is a wonderful place to live. It is easy to find the bad b/c it isn't an easy life. Nothing worth anything comes easy."l'fum tzaara agra"

Ribbie Danzinger

Post Tue, Oct 09 2007, 4:29 am
Three things are acquired through hardship, Torah, Eretz Yisrael and Olam Haba.

Even so, it doesn't mean that we shouldn't note the good things. In fact, maybe it is taking the trouble to always look at the positive side of things which is the true hardship!

LisaS

Post Tue, Oct 09 2007, 5:28 am
Over sukkot our neighbor's sukka went up in flames. The lightbulb on the scach caught on fire. SOme complete strangers passing by came over and worked for about 15-20 minutes (seemed like forever) to put out the fire. By the time the fire dept came there was nothing left to do.

The food here is so yummy!

Shmitta - our veges are holy and we know Hashem owns everything. Even the secular local govmt won't plant this year.

Kids are so free to play outside by themselves.

Tremping - shows mutual trust between strangers.

mimivan

Post Tue, Oct 09 2007, 6:06 am
LisaS wrote:
Over sukkot our neighbor's sukka went up in flames. The lightbulb on the scach caught on fire. SOme complete strangers passing by came over and worked for about 15-20 minutes (seemed like forever) to put out the fire. By the time the fire dept came there was nothing left to do.

The food here is so yummy!

Shmitta - our veges are holy and we know Hashem owns everything. Even the secular local govmt won't plant this year.

Kids are so free to play outside by themselves.

Tremping - shows mutual trust between strangers.

agree with you about everything but what I put in bold...Too many Arab workers in my neighborhood...I dont' take my eye off my kids...

I know I sound like a hopeless greenhorn, but what is tremping?

Newsie

Post Tue, Oct 09 2007, 7:07 am
Tremping is hitchhiking

miriamnechama

Post Tue, Oct 09 2007, 7:10 am
and there is ONE thing you all forgot.... every 4 amos that you take ie steps is a MITZVA!! whereelse can we aquire so many mitzvos just by walking in the kedushas eretz yisroel...

btw kemilion great pix.

btw you remind me taht one succos in seminary on a trip, we stopped to eat supper,and we had an irreligious chayal with us, I asked him if he wanted to eat and he look up and said " succa, I can make a bracha leishev basuka"

and another time at ds's chalaka when I gave out cake one irreligious policewoman took a piece and make the bracha loud for me to answer amen.... and where will a non religious police woman appreciate at passport control in the airport before yk that you wish her besides for gemar chasima tova also a zom kal... happened to me last year!!! so many zechusim one can aquire here ...

and also it's the lant of our avos and the land of history...every town has it's special meaning and history behind it including beitar where I live. this was teh same beitar that was destroyed many many years ago ....

and what abolut all teh excavations that people are finding?? all the time things from bayis sheini etc...

miriamnechama

Post Tue, Oct 09 2007, 7:49 am
here's another... the food is so full of kedusha...that's why it's so tasty.

twinkltoes

Post Tue, Oct 09 2007, 8:19 am
miriamnechama wrote:
and there is ONE thing you all forgot.... every 4 amos that you take ie steps is a MITZVA!! whereelse can we aquire so many mitzvos just by walking in the kedushas eretz yisroel...

btw kemilion great pix.

btw you remind me taht one succos in seminary on a trip, we stopped to eat supper,and we had an irreligious chayal with us, I asked him if he wanted to eat and he look up and said " succa, I can make a bracha leishev basuka"

and another time at ds's chalaka when I gave out cake one irreligious policewoman took a piece and make the bracha loud for me to answer amen.... and where will a non religious police woman appreciate at passport control in the airport before yk that you wish her besides for gemar chasima tova also a zom kal... happened to me last year!!! so many zechusim one can aquire here ...

and also it's the lant of our avos and the land of history...every town has it's special meaning and history behind it including beitar where I live. this was teh same beitar that was destroyed many many years ago ....

and what abolut all teh excavations that people are finding?? all the time things from bayis sheini etc...

Miriamnechama -

Your anecdote is exactly why I don't believe that such a think exists as "an irreligious chayal" or an irreligious Jew, for that matter!

Avigayil

miriamnechama

Post Tue, Oct 09 2007, 8:21 am
shabbat about 4 or 5 years ago we had a majour snowstorm,,, I was stick indoors for 3 days. but then everything shuts down and even the school and chadarim are off!! Wink

Raisin the best thing about the eirus is that you can carry... that means no more being stuck indoors!1 you can go out with a stroller, teh kids play with their bimba's etc 8) imagine how hard it was for me when I wasin london for a simcha and ds2 then was almost 2 but WOULD NOT WALK and he drove me Mad and taht a 15 min walk took forever!!

and of course cus we're not yearning so much we can even eat healthier... more vegies etc.

anbd I love it when people get involve in politics.. especially before any gouvernment or mayor elections Rolling Eyes !!

miriamnechama

Post Tue, Oct 09 2007, 8:23 am
avigayil what do you mean??

twinkltoes

Post Tue, Oct 09 2007, 8:57 am
You said he was "irreligious" and yet he knew enough to say "lashev b'sukkah"???? That doesn't fit your description of "irreligious"!

Another example - right before my first husband and I got married his grandmother passed away. The day of the funeral, the funeral procession left the house on the way to the cemetary with all the relatives and friends walking slowly behind. It passed a bus stop where a chayal was sitting waiting for a bus and as we passed him, he stood and covered his head with his hand out of respect.

Another example - At my previous job, the company flew the employees to Greece for a long weekend and I remember one morning we were in the hotel dining room standing in line at the buffet and there was some dish being served that was milk and meat (the kosher employees were provided with kosher meals) and the "irreligious" guy in line behind me was APPALLED at the sight/thought of it. It almost made him physically ill. He said mumbled something about "I'm not religious but that is my red line. I won't go there."

So what I'm saying is that I don't believe that the term "irreligious" can apply to a Jew. No matter WHAT lifestyle they lead - you can call it irreligious if you want to - their neshama KNOWS and it shines through it all. It's sort of like the expression "there are no aetheists in foxholes"..............

Avigayil

Yudit

Post Tue, Oct 09 2007, 9:08 am
I live in bp and we have an eruv thank gd Erev succos was so nice on 13th avenue the place was packed with people selling lulavim and esrogim.I was in a fruit store not a relligious one and there were chabbad men in the store giving people turns to shake the lulav and esrog

miriamnechama

Post Tue, Oct 09 2007, 9:25 am
avigail your right. ithink what I meant was that a yid who doesn't keep everything or nothing through the neshama will do something they don't normally do. but I think that if one is in a situation it's also nice to do something towards it ie in the case of the chayal when I asked him if he would like to eat he immediately remembered it was succos... who know if he would have eaten or for that sake make a leishev any other time that succos if not for that time. and the same with the cake andthe police officer. I think it makes them feel good in a way that someone is thinking of them or wishes them eg zom kal and I'm sure they appreciate it. well she Smile at me!!

but in your case well of course some one would not want to eat milk and meat together or would cover head out of respect for a meis. but when it comes to brachos I think it's a drop different.

funny anecdote last year on the flight to london before rh the pilot at the end of the flight said shana tova, there were a group of cristians on board and one said oh it's their new year now.... then when we landed one of them kept going "oh thank you g-d haleluya"!! it's amazg how even the non jews will thank G-d for a safe flight.

mimivan

Post Tue, Oct 09 2007, 9:51 am
Newsie wrote:
Tremping is hitchhiking

Oh, I'll take your word for it about that one too, but I hear many people feel secure tremping.

miriamnechama

Post Tue, Oct 09 2007, 10:43 am
here's another. minyan minyan minyan... youget an organized minyan for mincha and sometimes maariv in the bank, and the gouvernment offices etc and even on the plane it's so amazing when there is a fast that one is asking when one needs to stop to eat during a night flight etc due to neitz...

Ruchel

Post Tue, Oct 09 2007, 12:27 pm
Miriam Nechama, irreligious, in my definition, is the pork eater, the guy who goes to the beach on Kippur, the guy who marries a goya... someone physically sick at the idea of mixing meat and milk is strongly traditional...

miriamnechama

Post Tue, Oct 09 2007, 1:42 pm
well that's what I said afterwards. anyways heres another.

when I was in hospital in hadassa in orthopedics, the have seperate rooms for men and women.... another here.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Oct 09 2007, 1:59 pm
miriamnechama wrote:
well that's what I said afterwards. anyways heres another.

when I was in hospital in hadassa in orthopedics, the have seperate rooms for men and women.... another here.

oh but I think all hospitals put men and women not together these days, b'h!

Tamiri

Post Tue, Oct 09 2007, 2:17 pm
[quote="miriamnechama"]here's another. minyan minyan minyan... youget an organized minyan for mincha and sometimes maariv in the bank, and the gouvernment offices etc and even on the plane it's so amazing when there is a fast that one is asking when one needs to stop to eat during a night flight etc due to neitz...[/quote]

What about the minyan at our local Aleph (used to be Zol Po) store. How cool is that? They have several for Mincha and Maariv every day. I think there is a Sefer Torah for Shacharit as well.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics