Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Terri Schiavo
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

Sunshine

Post Thu, Mar 31 2005, 8:40 pm
Terri passed away at 9:05 am EST but it didn't get out to the news till 50 min later. They are going to do an autopsy on her but I doubt the truth will come out. Her family wanted to be in the room with her when she passed on but her "husband" refused them their request. There were approximately 4 ppl from the hospice in the room and Michael and his brother and his lawyer were there. It is so sad. Even at the last min he put on a show about how much he cared for her and was embracing her at the time of her death. His lawyer was interviewed today by the news but said they don't know if michael will bec he is "greiving."

ForeverYoung

Post Thu, Mar 31 2005, 9:03 pm
aha, right, with his girlfried & kids

probably more like having a party

stem

Post Thu, Mar 31 2005, 9:05 pm
Michael's lawyer also said yesterday that Terri "never looked more beautiful" as she lay dying of starvation and dehydration. What a bunch of %$^#%# !!

Sunshine

Post Thu, Mar 31 2005, 11:07 pm
You know why he said that about her because he wanted her dead. He was happy to see her finally in the last stages of life. Remember this is what he was waiting for the last 15 years.

ForeverYoung

Post Fri, Apr 01 2005, 10:52 am
I just don't get why he didn't divorce her & give her to her parents & move on with his life!!! Exploding anger

Chanie

Post Fri, Apr 01 2005, 12:58 pm
ForeverYoung wrote:
I just don't get why he didn't divorce her & give her to her parents & move on with his life!!! Exploding anger

He then would not get the $$$$$ from the malpractic lawsuit.

ForeverYoung

Post Fri, Apr 01 2005, 1:51 pm
her parent offered him to keep the money

Tefila

Post Fri, Apr 01 2005, 3:14 pm
Thought from the news that proud supplied. He had the money already and 50,000 was already spent Confused

mp

Post Fri, Apr 01 2005, 5:25 pm
Again this situation is much more complicated. Read the newsweek article about this for some clarity. Her husband was offered a considerable amount of money ( 1 million at least) to give custody to her parents and he still refused. So I doubt we can say that this is about money. Maybe he really wanted to honor her wishes. On the other hand, her parents should be able to keep their daughter alive if they so choose. So it is difficult because both sides have very valid points to their positions. I am just displeased with the way the government stepped in and tried to regulate it- some of these people are quite hypocritical. George Bush, for example, as governor of Texas, passed a bill that allowed hospitals to make their own decisions about which cases were "futile" and which plugs could be pulled on which children and elders. And in Texas, children are now dying without their parents' consent. So it seems silly that he came out strongly about this topic. I just don't like hypocrisy.

Tefila

Post Fri, Apr 01 2005, 8:20 pm
Quote:
James Dobson, the head of Focus on the Family, lashed out at the judges who presided over the case.

“Every Florida and federal judge who failed to act to spare this precious woman from the torment she was forced to endure is guilty not only of judicial malfeasance — but of the cold-blooded, cold-hearted extermination of an innocent human life,” he said. “Terri Schiavo has been executed, under the guise of law and ’mercy’ for being guilty of nothing more than the inability to speak for herself.”

Last edited by Tefila on Sun, Apr 03 2005, 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

Rivka

Post Sat, Apr 02 2005, 8:17 pm
It is pretty complicated and what is even more disturbing is that I read the Time this week and it was going on about how in Europe they see it as a normal thing and don't understand what was wrong with it.
I don't know what is up with people when they think Euthanasia is the way to go.

queen

Post Sun, Apr 03 2005, 3:06 pm
one gets so tied into an issue that their pride gets in the way DESPITE the high ransom being offered of one million. By his giving in giving over guardianship to his in-laws he's publically showing the world his ugly colors. Something his pride wont let him get away with.

Motek

Post Sun, Apr 03 2005, 6:40 pm
mp wrote:
On the other hand, her parents should be able to keep their daughter alive if they so choose.

as opposed to murdering her

Quote:
both sides have very valid points to their positions

what's valid about murder?

Quote:
I just don't like hypocrisy.

ditto

proudmom

Post Thu, Apr 07 2005, 4:50 pm
Terri Schiavo: It's Not Just About Terri Any More
COMMENTARY: A perspective from a severely disabled man.
By David Jayne
Rex, GA (PRWEB) April 5, 2005 -- I write this with tremendous sadness in my heart and a sense of guilt that I
am alive. I am a 17-year survivor of ALS, often referred to as Lou Gehrig's disease.
Twelve years ago I made a decision to have a feeding tube placed in my stomach in order to prolong life. I
had lost the ability to swallow due to the progression of the disease process. Seven years ago last week I had
one foot in death's door, because my diaphragm muscle was becoming increasingly disabled. I was on the
verge of respiratory failure.
I made a decision contrary to society, 95% of most ALS patients and against my personal feelings prior to my
diagnosis to continue living by means of artificial ventilation.
Flashback to the spring of 1986, I was on a fast track to financial success. I was 6'3", 200 lbs. It was a
beautiful spring afternoon that would often find me on the Chattahoochee river fly-casting to a rising trout.
The doctor said you have amyotrophic lateral sclerosis or ALS. You may have heard it called Lou Gehrig's
disease. Without lifting my head I asked how long? Void of hesitation the doctor said three to five years.
Not long after the diagnosis, my wife at the time and I were discussing my future with the neurologist. He
began going over the disease progression in a matter of fact way. He said your breathing muscles will become
paralyzed and you will go to sleep and die. He quickly added that some patients decide to go on a ventilator,
but there is no quality of life living that way. I shook my head in agreement.
It is extremely easy for a healthy individual to say how they would not live. I am guilty myself. If someone
had told me prior to the diagnosis that I would be totally paralyzed, fed by a feeding tube, communicate via
computer with a voice synthesizer and tethered to a ventilator that I would find more meaning in life and
living I am certain that person telling me such a tale was insane.
Yes, my life is very difficult and requires a lot of resources to keep me alive, human and financial. I have
considered disconnecting from the ventilator several times, but the reason is never because I had lost my
appreciation for life and living.
I was admitted into the hospital and scheduled for tracheotomy surgery the next morning. That night my now
ex-wife told me how selfish I was for wanting to live. That my young children had suffered enough and it
would cause them only more pain. It was a sickening sense of abandonment. I have absolutely no doubt if I
did not have the ability to communicate my desires the surgery would have not taken place.
I will not enter the he said she said argument of the Terri Schiavo case. I do pray that Terri did not suffer, but
watching videos of her mother able to evoke a smile from Terri, I fear she was screaming silently in her final
days. I cannot believe our courts. This was such a cruel death. The judge should have handed Michael Schiavo
a gun and let him blow Terri's brains out. It would be less cruel instead of burdening the health care
professional with guilt for removing the feeding tube.
I feel our abled society on average is clueless to the value of life and how precious it is, because they never
Page 1/2
If you have any questions regarding information in these press releases please contact the company listed in the press release. Please do not contact
PR Web. We will be unable to assist you with your inquiry. PR Web disclaims any content contained in these releases. Our complete disclaimer
appears here.
have to seriously face death or an impaired life style personally. I have lived on both sides of the
ability/disability fence. While I never took life for granted, I never thought of death like I have been forced to
in the last 17 years and would have easily cast off the thought of a life with an impairment.
Society and lawmakers need education and awareness on the many levels of quality of life that exist and are
fully enjoyed. The last four years I have fought to leave my home without losing my Medicare funded home
health services. When lobbying in Washington many were surprised and amazed with the punitive nature of
the homebound restriction. Ignorance is one of the largest obstacles the disability community faces.
I am embarrassed by Congress last hour effort to save Terri when this case has been at a critical point for over
a year. Congress and President Bush should now pass meaningful legislation that reflects the spirit of the
Constitution to protect the thousands of Terries that remain in our country.
The tragedy of Terri Schiavo should scare the Hell out of all Americans, because our courts have now
established what level of human impairment is worth living. Mark my words, this benchmark will not remain
static.

Motek

Post Thu, Apr 07 2005, 4:58 pm
thanks for that proudmom

Quote:
"Mrs. Hartman? Are you in pain?"

Eyes fixed on mine, her cracked lips mouthed the word, "Always."

I gulped and took a deep breath, "Is this what you want? Do you want to continue like this?"

I watched carefully, but her eyes had already begun to glaze. I screamed, "Mrs. Hartman! Mrs. Hartman!" trying to pull her back into this dimension. Like a child fighting sleep, her lids fluttered open again as she struggled to pay attention.

"Is this what you want?"

Very slowly, she nodded. I was shocked.

here's the entire article:

http://www.aish.com/societyWor.....s.asp

gryp

Post Thu, Apr 07 2005, 5:38 pm
here is the end of the Terri Schiavo story:

Terri's parents were refused a lock of her hair or any ashes from her body. Michael melted down their wedding ring.

and the media tried to make us believe that he was a loving husband.

Sunshine

Post Thu, Apr 07 2005, 8:18 pm
Did anyone hear anything about the autopsy?

Tefila

Post Thu, Apr 07 2005, 8:19 pm
They said it will take a couple of weeks. I do hope they find something on him, that heartless man. His poor kids!!!!!!!!

AweSumThenSum

Post Thu, Apr 07 2005, 8:40 pm
autopsy results wont b released 4 a while, but u can b sure that the media will re-visit the whole "quality of life issue" based on the results of the autopsy, especially the brain part of it.

Sunshine

Post Thu, Apr 07 2005, 9:51 pm
I thought they said the results would come out a week after her passing.
Page 7 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics