Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Specifically non-Jewish names
Previous  1  2  3  Next

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Oct 18 2006, 2:56 pm
um, what about the most obvious????? Yoshke????? that is most definitely not a jewish name. you will not see a boy with the name of yoshka in hebrew as a jew, at least I have never heard of it.

Crayon210

Post Wed, Oct 18 2006, 3:01 pm
Yehoshua?

mimsy7420

Post Wed, Oct 18 2006, 3:10 pm
Crayon210 wrote:
Yehoshua?

That's Jewish!!

Raisin

Post Wed, Oct 18 2006, 4:11 pm
There were welsh kings called David, definately Jewish.

Mattisyahu's hebrew name that he was given at birth is something like Faivish, but he didn't know that, he asssumed it was Mattisyahu. Later he found out what his real name was, but a Rav told him to keep using Mattisyahu since he used it for so long.

Mary is Miriam, I think. Paul is derived from saul.

We had a guest called Kirsten - a german(???) form of Christine.

carrot

Post Wed, Oct 18 2006, 4:33 pm
I thought Mary is Yoshke's mother. Maybe HER name was Miriam. Like Paul was really Shaul. Or is that what you were saying?

Trying to imagine reggae singer named Faivish. Wink

Ribbie Danzinger

Post Wed, Oct 18 2006, 4:42 pm
I know someone whose "English" name is Melvin...

Rolling Laughter

I also knew someone with the name Helene - sounds too much like a Hellenist if you ask me! Helen is a more Jewish type of the same name. I knew a few Helens.

Crayon210

Post Wed, Oct 18 2006, 6:45 pm
only1 wrote:
Crayon210 wrote:
Yehoshua?

That's Jewish!!

That was in response to Yoshke's Hebrew name. It was Yehoshua, a fine Jewish name we continue to use.

Crayon210

Post Wed, Oct 18 2006, 6:46 pm
carrot wrote:
I thought Mary is Yoshke's mother. Maybe HER name was Miriam. Like Paul was really Shaul. Or is that what you were saying?

Trying to imagine reggae singer named Faivish. Wink

Her name was Miriam, yes.

Reggae singer named Faivish...how about "Five-ish"? ;-)

TzenaRena

Post Wed, Oct 18 2006, 8:55 pm
Quote:
That was in response to Yoshke's Hebrew name. It was Yehoshua, a fine Jewish name we continue to use
.wasn't it Yeshua, not Yehoshua? He is usually referred to in Jewish sources as "oisoi ha'ish" THAT man, but in RamBaM hilchos melachim ch. 14:4 he is referred to by name as yeishua hanotzri.

carrot

Post Wed, Oct 18 2006, 9:02 pm
Am I mistaken, or have I also heard it pronounced "Yeisha"?

Either way, definitely not Yehoshua. Maybe a derivative?

gryp

Post Wed, Oct 18 2006, 9:58 pm
I think in the Gemara he's referred to as Yeshu. but the years the Gemara brings down differs from the years the Christians say he lived, so some people say that from this contradiction it's possible that there was no such person and it was all made up. shock

TzenaRena

Post Wed, Oct 18 2006, 10:21 pm
Sure there are falsifications and contradictions, but not in the Gemara's or RamBaM's account, but in the non jewish sources.. obviously. If the RaMBAm mentions him, he existed.

Crayon210

Post Wed, Oct 18 2006, 11:07 pm
SaraYehudis wrote:
in RamBaM hilchos melachim ch. 14:4

I can't find this source--Hilchos Melachim ends with 12.

TzenaRena

Post Wed, Oct 18 2006, 11:17 pm
oops , pardon my slip of the pen. embarrassed It's chapter 11, halacha daled., third paragraph.

Crayon210

Post Wed, Oct 18 2006, 11:34 pm
Still can't find the reference. Confused

TzenaRena

Post Wed, Oct 18 2006, 11:53 pm
This is in the RamBam L'am edition. But I just checked the MP Press edition (the Gemara sized one) and it is not there.

This is because of the censors who didn't allow any non-complimenttary references to the notzrim and their religion or dieties, and forced the printing houses to omit these portions.

If publishers had included them, there would have been a sakanah. the censors were authorized by the government, and existed in all the lands in which Christianity was the official religion, including Russia, Poland, Italy and many others .

The censored portions (they are called hashmatos) were reprinted in the recent newer editions as part of the original text, which they are.

Emuna

Post Thu, Oct 19 2006, 12:14 am
Here in Los Angeles it seems "Luke" is an emerging name for little boys - I'm seeing a few of them popping up in the Jewish world. There must be a movie star or something.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 19 2006, 12:41 am
I have a cousin whose name is tobias. they claim it is a name from Tanach, but I still never came across how you would say it in hebrew. he is now almost 2 and I am still on the lookout... has any one every heard of that one?? they call him Toby. it is very interesting. (obviously they are not frum)

Marion

Post Thu, Oct 19 2006, 2:02 am
amother wrote:
I have a cousin whose name is tobias. they claim it is a name from Tanach, but I still never came across how you would say it in hebrew. he is now almost 2 and I am still on the lookout... has any one every heard of that one?? they call him Toby. it is very interesting. (obviously they are not frum)

Tobias would be Tuvia in Hebrew.

Crayon210

Post Thu, Oct 19 2006, 3:39 am
AKA Moshe Rabbeinu :-D (where is Tuvia explicitly in Tanach?)
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics