Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Disappointed in leiby kletzky coverage in mishpacha
Previous  1  2

Mrs.K

Post Fri, Jul 22 2011, 4:39 am
Please don't think that here in Israel no one knows what happened. My children definitely heard about it in school/camp/cheder (and from me). And I WANT them to know what happened. Not certain details, obviously, but we davened for Leiby's safe return, and as part of Klal Yisroel we mourned with the Kletzky family from across the ocean. Chas V'shalom, it's not like, "Something happened in Brooklyn, it doesn't concern me."

jewels

Post Fri, Jul 22 2011, 8:00 am
lkwdmommy wrote:
small bean wrote:
I actually think it's really insensitive to the family to focus on them. I'm glad Mishpacha is sensitive enough to realize this - and that is the reason I don't but Ami..

I agree. The tragedy needs to be mentioned (did anyone notice Eytan Feiner's comments-I appreciated them) but not ovesensationalized. Leave Leiby and his family alone! Any info you need can be gotten on line, from Hamodia (which hasn't stopped), Yated, and a hundred other places

I completely agree as well. I buy Ami every week and purposely didn't this week when I saw the cover. The family deserves their privacy, and while they did set up a fund in his name I don't agree that it's the same thing as an entire magazine devoted to him. Shiva is over and his mother and siblings may be going out and every time I think about her or one of his siblings going into the grocery to get a bottle of milk and seeing that cover my heart breaks. There has been more than enough coverage, more than enough speeches about how to deal with the tragedy and child safety. I also think they deserve their privacy.

five2ten

Post Fri, Jul 22 2011, 3:29 pm
I don't agree. I think the family wants the world to know who Leiby was.

Think about it. When someone passes away, the family sits shiva. They want as many people as possible to come to the levaya, and then as many people as possible to come visit them in the shiva house. Everyone who is a relative of someone who passes away wants people to know. In Jewish law, we're not supposed to leave a family alone when someone passes away and "give them privacy." We are supposed to mourn with them, be there with them, visit them, talk to them about the deceased. The family should know that the person is NOT forgotten like yesterday's news.

The more we know about who Leiby was, the more he will stay in our hearts and be remembered. And I think they would want him to be remembered.

l'havdil, I lost a child (an infant soon after birth), and I HATE when family members "forget" or whatever else they do to discount the fact that I had one more child than I have.

das

Post Sat, Jul 23 2011, 3:53 pm
Actually, I know that the family and their Rav were consulted about the Ami articles. Certain sentences the Rav objected to were removed. It was only printed with his blessing.

I'm sure their happy to know the klal is sharing in their pain.

As far as Mishpacha, their staff is only human. As someone here pointed out their print date is earlier and they are in Israel so making contact can be harder. Maybe next week they'll have more commentary. If I remember correctly, they had extensive coverage of the Bernstein tragedy last year, with an interview of the remaining son-in-law.

ILOVELIFE

Post Sun, Jul 24 2011, 12:10 am
The article was disappointing to me only because I had heard most of the speeches and it seemed like they were transcribed and then quotes were excerpted by the writer. I didn't feel like there was a/thing new.

However, to a/one who is not in the media line-- you can't imagine how difficult it is for a magazine to come up with something overnight. They go to print Sunday. That meant from Wed-Motzei Shabbos they had to write, edit, proofread and layout an article.... it's very tough!

Binah goes to print Tues so we missed it by a day and therefore will be a week late but it couldn't be ignored. I disagree with anyone who will say that Mishpacha shouldn't have given it more. If there was anything this tragedy taught us it was that we yidden are one family and when it hurts one it hurts all. To hear statements like it was a 'Boro Park tragedy' hurts. It was a yiddishe tragedy. It could've been any of our children ch'v-- we are ONE FAMILY.

I commend Mishpacha for writing at least what they did even though I was very disappointed that the editorial didn't mention a thing. I hope next week's will and I look forward to that.

realeez

Post Sun, Jul 24 2011, 3:41 pm
When I saw the title of R Grylak's editorial, I thought it was about this. It was really creepy (butchers of ppl will kiss their dogs) ESP since a poster on here posted how Levi had such a love of his dog...

What I did appreciate re the mishpacha article that after reading so much online that I didn't feel like I was reading a tabloid and everything was written sensitively.

motherhen

Post Mon, Jul 25 2011, 5:07 pm
dunno if anyone read it but I think the yated did a beautiful job of covering the tragedy-it related the story without being too graphic but mainly focused on ways to grow and what to learn from this traumatic event...it was very inspiring and appropriate methinks.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room