Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Pilot trip...finally!
Previous  1  2  3  Next

grace413

Post Wed, Jul 27 2011, 2:30 am
Marion wrote:
Maybe we should do round-robin meals that Shabbat? We can start at Musar Avicha with kiddush at MominIsrael2's house followed by lunch at RachelEve's and seudah shlishit at Cat's? (It's November...that's a LOT of food in 6 hours!) Or pre-kiddush snack at Cat's on the way to shul, kiddush at Grace413's, lunch at RachelEve's and seudah shlishit back at MominIsrael2's? (Wow, I'm committing a lot of people to a lot of things...) That's also an awful lot of food... Maybe we should just get a sitter for motzaei Shabbat and make one of those stops a melave malka...

Somebody has to be the take-charge person.
I hope to be in the States I"YH for about 2 weeks in November - it's been almost5 2 years since I've seen my mother. So when we find out exactly when they'll be here we'll see how the program works.

I think we should do an Imamother melave malka and make everybody come to MA. Very Happy

Marion

Post Wed, Jul 27 2011, 3:46 am
grace413 wrote:
Marion wrote:
Maybe we should do round-robin meals that Shabbat? We can start at Musar Avicha with kiddush at MominIsrael2's house followed by lunch at RachelEve's and seudah shlishit at Cat's? (It's November...that's a LOT of food in 6 hours!) Or pre-kiddush snack at Cat's on the way to shul, kiddush at Grace413's, lunch at RachelEve's and seudah shlishit back at MominIsrael2's? (Wow, I'm committing a lot of people to a lot of things...) That's also an awful lot of food... Maybe we should just get a sitter for motzaei Shabbat and make one of those stops a melave malka...

Somebody has to be the take-charge person.
I hope to be in the States I"YH for about 2 weeks in November - it's been almost5 2 years since I've seen my mother. So when we find out exactly when they'll be here we'll see how the program works.

I think we should do an Imamother melave malka and make everybody come to MA. Very Happy

Works for me. And RachelEve now has a nice big (huge!) living room...JK.

RachelEve14

Post Wed, Jul 27 2011, 4:03 am
Sounds good! I'm happy to do a melava malka here!

mominisrael2

Post Wed, Jul 27 2011, 8:55 am
Marion wrote:
And RachelEve now has a nice big (huge!) living room...JK.

huge? when do I get to see it?!?

(let me know when one of those comes on the market...)

tovarena

Post Wed, Jul 27 2011, 10:51 am
You guys are SO great! We arrive Wed., Nov. 16 and depart Mon., Nov. 28. Since we've only just started to put plans together, we're completely open right now. So the shabbosim of either the 19th or 26th would both work for me. Marion, since you're hosting us (thank you again!) just let me know what works best. And yes we would definitely like to get a tour around either before or after shabbos as well from anyone that has time/is willing. Of course, we'd also love to meet as many of you as are around and available to get together.
We are really looking forward to it! Very Happy

tovarena

Post Tue, Oct 25 2011, 9:08 pm
Hi y'all! So now that we're past the chagim we are full steam ahead on our plans for the pilot trip. I'm hoping we can still meet a bunch of you while we're there!
I also have a question for everyone. We are trying to figure out what hechsherim are commonly accepted in the DL community. I know kashrus is a little more involved there (funny that! Surprised). In particular with eating out, what is the situation - both in and out of Yerushalayim? Is there a list of commonly accepted hechsherim available anywhere?

catonmylap

Post Wed, Oct 26 2011, 1:17 am
tovarena wrote:
Hi y'all! So now that we're past the chagim we are full steam ahead on our plans for the pilot trip. I'm hoping we can still meet a bunch of you while we're there!
I also have a question for everyone. We are trying to figure out what hechsherim are commonly accepted in the DL community. I know kashrus is a little more involved there (funny that! Surprised). In particular with eating out, what is the situation - both in and out of Yerushalayim? Is there a list of commonly accepted hechsherim available anywhere?

It can vary in the DL community. Some will accept practically everything and some are stricter. Meat by default is not always glatt, so a good percentage are more careful about meat.

Here are some hechsherim that practically everyone says are okay: http://welcomingolim.blogspot.......html and here there are certificates too - http://www.jerusalemkoshernews.....rael/

In terms of restuarants, the ones listed on eluna as mehadrin are okay. As you are here longer, you can decide if you want to be less strict.

In terms of grocery store products, be careful to watch out for imported things that you wouldn't eat in America like triangle K, and anything foreign (imported) that you don't recognize.

tovarena

Post Wed, Oct 26 2011, 6:29 am
catonmylap wrote:
It can vary in the DL community. Some will accept practically everything and some are stricter. Meat by default is not always glatt, so a good percentage are more careful about meat.

Here are some hechsherim that practically everyone says are okay: http://welcomingolim.blogspot.......html and here there are certificates too - http://www.jerusalemkoshernews.....rael/

In terms of restuarants, the ones listed on eluna as mehadrin are okay. As you are here longer, you can decide if you want to be less strict.

In terms of grocery store products, be careful to watch out for imported things that you wouldn't eat in America like triangle K, and anything foreign (imported) that you don't recognize.

That is exactly what I was looking for - thank you!! One clarification in terms of restaurants - I notice the second link has some rabbanuts that are NOT mehadrin. Does that mean that a restaurant with one of those rabbanuts would be okay to eat in? Or is that only for packaged food? Or did I miss something?

catonmylap

Post Wed, Oct 26 2011, 6:38 am
tovarena wrote:
catonmylap wrote:

That is exactly what I was looking for - thank you!! One clarification in terms of restaurants - I notice the second link has some rabbanuts that are NOT mehadrin. Does that mean that a restaurant with one of those rabbanuts would be okay to eat in? Or is that only for packaged food? Or did I miss something?

The non-mehadrin would be okay for buying fruits/vegetables.

For restuarants, I'd stick to mehadrin till you have your derech - you can look at the list on www.eluna.com. In Jerusalem, you'll have no problem finding places. In other parts of Israel, it can be more difficult so advanced planning will help.

israelimom

Post Wed, Oct 26 2011, 9:56 am
Hi there,

Just saw this thread and haven't read through all the posts (only the first few where you mentioned you were interested in MA). Wanted to extend an invitation to come to our home to chat about our experiences (positive!) here and in other communities that we've lived in in Israel over the past twelve years. Maybe Motzei Shabbat, since it seems you're booked for the whole of Shabbat itself!

B'hatzlacha rabbah!

mominisrael2

Post Thu, Oct 27 2011, 3:15 am
Found the thread, tovarena Smile I vote that since we all live in different neighborhoods, maybe we can do a meet at Aroma that motsei shabbat?

racz

Post Thu, Oct 27 2011, 7:43 am
In case you haven't rented a car yet- or want to get a good deal we dealt with noachcar@gmail.com he gets you great deals, for budget, avis and Hertz.

Jewish Mother2

Post Thu, Oct 27 2011, 8:43 am
If you're still interested in renting an apartment for all or part of your trip and would be interested in coming to Netanya PM me and I will give you some information.

RachelEve14

Post Thu, Oct 27 2011, 12:20 pm
Anyone interested in a MN Melava Malka? I'm willing to host Smile

Marion

Post Thu, Oct 27 2011, 2:05 pm
I'd MUCH rather go to RachelEve's than Aroma! I'm in!

mominisrael2

Post Fri, Oct 28 2011, 5:34 am
OK, OK... Smile

grace413

Post Fri, Oct 28 2011, 5:39 am
Sorry, unless you've changed your dates I'll be in the States then.

RachelEve14

Post Fri, Oct 28 2011, 5:46 am
grace413 wrote:

I can always introduce them to Looney and she can represent "Mishpachat Grace" Tongue Out

grace413

Post Fri, Oct 28 2011, 5:48 am
RachelEve14 wrote:
grace413 wrote:

I can always introduce them to Looney and she can represent "Mishpachat Grace" Tongue Out

Very funny. The question is, who is scarier, Looney or my kids?

RachelEve14

Post Fri, Oct 28 2011, 5:51 am
grace413 wrote:
RachelEve14 wrote:
grace413 wrote:

Very funny. The question is, who is scarier, Looney or my kids?

I'm guessing it depends on who you ask! I like Looney, and your kids. Maybe I'm the freak Twisted Evil
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions