Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
13 yo babysitting 4 young children?
Previous  1  2

Soul on fire

Post Tue, Aug 23 2011, 12:32 am
I think unless they are very experienced it may be overwhelming for an 11-13 yr old.

Last edited by Soul on fire on Tue, Aug 23 2011, 12:34 am; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Tue, Aug 23 2011, 12:33 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Watching 4 little ones for $5 an hour is slave labor! shock The guy who mows my lawn gets paid twice that much.

I would pay the extra money and have a sem girl do it, and if I couldn't afford it then I wouldn't go. So many things can go haywire very quickly with toddlers running loose. Even the most mature 13 year old is going to have a hard time keeping up with them. You only have so many hands and so much patience, and you need eyes in the back of your head every second.

Believe me, I watch my friend's 5 kids sometimes, and I have NO idea how she does this 24/7. After a few hours with those kids I need a nap!

I agree!! And someone in our neighborhood had the audacity to only pay my 12 yr old about $2/hr. She will never sit for them again. One day they even asked her to stay for a total of 12 hrs!!!! She learned her lesson to set a price up front, it was her 1st real babysitting job. We didn't say anything because we don't want to make them feel bad if they can't afford more but still....my dd cried all night.
Anyway, my daughter is 12 and she did a great job babysitting a 8 mo old and a 18 mo old but I don't think she could have handled 4 young ones all day and definitely not a 3 mo old.

yb

Post Thu, Sep 15 2011, 8:59 pm
amother wrote:
I have 4 kids, aged 5 1/2 to 3 months, and I'm looking for a sitter for 2-3 hours int he afternoons while I go to work. There are a few babysitters in town who are 11-13 years old who charge $5/hour, while older girls charge double or more than that.
My dilemma is I don't know if a young teen is really capable of taking proper care of so many young children.
What age do you think is old enough to have this type of responsibility?

I have exactly that family, and they are exactly those ages, and I think it is insane to leave them with someone so young. 11 years old?? I wouldn't trust an 11 y-o with a baby, let alone more than one and ESPECIALLY not 4! I feel overwhelmed most days, and I'm an adult!!

Please do not put your children in harm's way to save money. Buy using coupons, clean your own house...whatever you need to save money. Just don't hire an 11 y-o babysitter.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Fri, Sep 16 2011, 10:44 am
I agree with all of the responses here. If she were caring for four five-year-olds, I wouldn't mind as much. But a three month old? I would only let a young teen care for a three month old as a mother's helper, when I was right there.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Sep 16 2011, 10:49 am
luv2cook4eva wrote:
when I was 10, my parents left me to look after my 2 brothers and sister (9, 5, and 3). I'm still mad about it. they totally took advantage of me to go out and have a good time. not to mention the fact that if they came home to a house that looked upside down- I got the petch!

please wait at least 2 more years. imagine if CH"V something were to happen, you would never forgive yourself...

I'm sorry you were treated that way. Hug This is child abuse.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Sep 16 2011, 10:55 am
When my DD (who will be 13 on Rosh Hashana B"EH) was 10, I started getting calls for her if she would babysit...I was absolutely shock . I thought those people were nuts....this post has me really floored, that people would put such unrealistic responsiblity on a child.

I just started allowing DD to babysit this past summer, and only for people I know, and if the responsibility sounds realistic for her, and on my block (in case she needs me). I would not allow her to babysit that many kids, especially including a newborn. And yes, she's very mature and responsible - and will have plenty of time B"EH when she is a mother to do all that childcaring....for now, I prefer she be a normal teen.

flowerpower

Post Fri, Sep 16 2011, 11:01 am
MaBelleVie wrote:
Unless the girl is a sister of the ones she is watching (and has proven herself capable besides) I would not do it. I don't think I would allow my own daughter to care for someone else's four children ages five and under either.

Ditto. It seems like a lot to handle on a regular basis. If it were at night and they're all supposed to be sleeping then it's a different story.

mltjm

Post Fri, Sep 16 2011, 1:59 pm
I disagree. I think that if she's very experienced and mature, oldest etc. Its fine. But don't take advantage and pay her only 5 bucks an hour, that's just wrong.

little_mage

Post Mon, Sep 26 2011, 5:21 pm
If you're not sure how the girl would handle your children, what about having her over for a trial run when you are there? Then you can see how she interacts with them, if they run roughshod over her, etc. I'd just be very clear that it is a trial and not a commitment. I would also pay something for the time.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics