Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Do you know of any shmutz free secular novels?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Oct 26 2011, 10:49 am
I think PF is trying to say we have to be careful how we talk about others, as we never know who might be reading it.

bigsis144

Post Wed, Oct 26 2011, 10:50 am
sequoia wrote:
marina wrote:
The Giver, by Lois Lowry.

Yes

On a similar note, The Cure, by Sonia Levitin.

Barbara's post on the Burka Babe thread about masks for everybody made me think of this book:

(In the future... everybody's Jabbawockeez!)

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Oct 26 2011, 11:36 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I think PF is trying to say we have to be careful how we talk about others, as we never know who might be reading it.

That's it.

ChossidMom

Post Wed, Oct 26 2011, 3:48 pm
I would assume that this part of the forum is open to the public. So, I imagine we want to be careful anyway...

saw50st8

Post Wed, Oct 26 2011, 3:52 pm
sarahd wrote:
saw50st8 wrote:
I loved the Metamorphosis

Laura Ingalls Wilder books are fantastic. She does let Almanzo kiss her goodnight when they get engaged.

LOL It's about the most passionless kiss I ever read about. "You may kiss me good night," said Laura....

One man's clean is another man's erotica Tongue Out

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Oct 26 2011, 4:43 pm
saw50st8 wrote:
sarahd wrote:
saw50st8 wrote:

Laura Ingalls Wilder books are fantastic. She does let Almanzo kiss her goodnight when they get engaged.

LOL It's about the most passionless kiss I ever read about. "You may kiss me good night," said Laura....

Not necessarily erotica but it could still send you - I must have reread the last pages of The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society I don't know how many times.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Oct 27 2011, 3:37 am
saw50st8 wrote:
sarahd wrote:
saw50st8 wrote:

LOL! wondering if anyone found THAT seksy Wink

CK2

Post Thu, Oct 27 2011, 7:15 am
The Help - gr8 gr8 book.

farm

Post Thu, Oct 27 2011, 3:56 pm
Seraph wrote:
marina wrote:
I loved that book... but it was disturbing and creepy at its essence...

Loved it as well, even if she did copy Any Rand's Anthem- I found her version a much easier read! I really like all of her books, she has a way of describing life and death that I find beautiful.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Oct 27 2011, 4:31 pm
farm wrote:
Seraph wrote:
marina wrote:
I loved that book... but it was disturbing and creepy at its essence...

Loved it as well, even if she did copy Any Rand's Anthem- I found her version a much easier read! I really like all of her books, she has a way of describing life and death that I find beautiful.

I haven't read The Giver. Or Anthem. The thrust of the book is secular humanism?

Factory Girl

Post Wed, Dec 14 2011, 12:06 am
"The hunger games" trilogy is sooooo good!
"divirgent"
"the help"
"the thirteen tale"
"the history of love" (soo sadddd)
from the classics.....
"the great gatsby"

sarahd

Post Wed, Dec 14 2011, 10:34 am
I was SO frustrated last night when I was stuck in the airport for three hours, bored out of my mind, with nothing to do. I was searching the racks at the bookstore, thinking of this thread, and couldn't remember ANY of the names listed here, except Maeve Binchy, whose books didn't grab me.

It was so annoying.

enter

Post Mon, Dec 26 2011, 6:48 pm
recently read "cherished - angela cannings" it's a true story, not exactly novel, a good read and clean ! ..has anybody read it?

WriterMom

Post Mon, Dec 26 2011, 7:30 pm
I find SOME young adult books fit this description. Like the Hunger Games trilogy, which is fantastic (although does have kissing. Briefly mentioned and not graphic), also Uglies, Crossed, etc. I was discussing these with a slightly younger cousin (ie she's reading them for herself, not as possible books for her kids) and we agreed that there's nothing "young" about them except the lack of secks and swearing. And it's pretty sad if that's the only difference! But the plot, characters, quality of writing is good.

Two caveats: some young adult books are downright smutty, especially the vampire themed ones. (I don't know if Twilight would count as smut, but the writing is dreadful anyway.) Also, in the Hunger Games among others, there is disturbing content, ie death, horrible moral dilemmas, tragedy. I have no problem with my ten year old reading them from a "graphic or inappropriate" perspective, but I do plan not to show them to him until he is a bit older because he's sensitive and easily upset. OTOH an eight year old at shul is gobbling them up, and isn't at all upset.

frumshopper

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 11:00 pm
It's been a while, thought I'd BUMP the thread and update a bit

I enjoyed The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe

I also read a few books by Susanna Kearsley (The Winter Sea, etc) and think they would be appropriate.

If you are into science, my daughter really enjoyed The Forever Fix: Gene Therapy and the Boy Who Saved It by Ricki Lewis.

naturalmom5

Post Wed, Mar 06 2013, 12:19 am
sarahd wrote:
I was SO frustrated last night when I was stuck in the airport for three hours, bored out of my mind, with nothing to do. I was searching the racks at the bookstore, thinking of this thread, and couldn't remember ANY of the names listed here, except Maeve Binchy, whose books didn't grab me.

It was so annoying.

You weren't on Imother on your phone!!!
How is that possible

dee's mommy

Post Wed, Mar 06 2013, 12:21 am
I know that a few people here have recommended Jane Austen novels, but I just can't help myself, so I will recommend them again. Because I am currently reading it right now I will recommend:

Pride and Prejudice. (Her other novels are Sense and Sensibility, Emma, Persuasion, Mansfield Park and Northanger Abbey. All excellent. )

By Lucy Maud Montgomery, (My favourite author) I highly recommend:

Anne of Green Gables (and rest of series if you like. I especially like Anne of Avonlea, Anne of the Island, Anne's House of Dreams and Rilla of Ingleside.)
Emily of New Moon (and two sequels if you like.)
Jane of Lantern Hill
The Story Girl (and the Golden Road)
The Blue Castle

By Louisa May Alcott:

Little Women

If you like fantasy, I enjoyed:

The Neverending Story by Michael Ende
Momo by Michael Ende

The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

Below the Root (plus its two sequels) by Zilpha Keatley Snyder

I second the "Little House" books by Laura Ingalls Wilder. Also some more recent series about the author's family if you can find them. ("The Rose Years" series by Roger Lea McBride, "The Caroline Years" "The Charlotte Years" and the "Martha Years" (all by different authors.) http://www.littlehousebooks.com/girls/

If you can find books by Laura's daughter, Rose Wilder Lane, that might be a good read.

Another book for young readers, which now that I think about it, I would like to read again is: "Island of the Blue Dolphins" by Scott O'Dell.

Finally, before I start scanning my personal library for suggestions, I will suggest "A Little Princess" and "The Secret Garden" both by Frances Hodgson Burnett.

Last edited by dee's mommy on Wed, Mar 06 2013, 1:12 am; edited 1 time in total

Sherri

Post Wed, Mar 06 2013, 12:45 am
WriterMom wrote:
I find SOME young adult books fit this description. Like the Hunger Games trilogy, which is fantastic (although does have kissing. Briefly mentioned and not graphic), also Uglies, Crossed, etc. I was discussing these with a slightly younger cousin (ie she's reading them for herself, not as possible books for her kids) and we agreed that there's nothing "young" about them except the lack of secks and swearing. And it's pretty sad if that's the only difference! But the plot, characters, quality of writing is good.

Two caveats: some young adult books are downright smutty, especially the vampire themed ones. (I don't know if Twilight would count as smut, but the writing is dreadful anyway.) Also, in the Hunger Games among others, there is disturbing content, ie death, horrible moral dilemmas, tragedy. I have no problem with my ten year old reading them from a "graphic or inappropriate" perspective, but I do plan not to show them to him until he is a bit older because he's sensitive and easily upset. OTOH an eight year old at shul is gobbling them up, and isn't at all upset.
I agree about the YA books being worse many times than the adult ones. And I agree about the Hunger Games, too. I stopped the first one and had to stop. I guess I am sensitive too. Smile

wif

Post Wed, Mar 06 2013, 6:13 am
If you swing slightly sci-fi, Connie Willis is absolutely amazing. For seriously-will-make-you-cry: The Doomsday Book. For laugh-out-loud funny: To Say Nothing of the Dog. She's awesome, sharp, deep, great characters, clean.

Isramom8

Post Wed, Mar 06 2013, 9:29 am
Ruchel wrote:
saw50st8 wrote:
sarahd wrote:
saw50st8 wrote:

LOL! wondering if anyone found THAT seksy Wink

I did... embarrassed
Page 7 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room