Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Wood vs. laminate floors- pros and cons? any alternatives?
Previous  1  2

Lady Bug

Post Sun, Oct 30 2011, 1:00 am
I'm a little confused. By laminate, do you mean the "pre-finished" wood slats or linoleum type of sheets that you can lay down yourself?

I say there is nothing like real hardwood. If you are tight on cash, the pre-finished, yet still real wood floors, are a great alternative. I would really stay away from linoleum, I just have an aversion to it. I think out looks dirty and cheap. Another option to consider, though pricey, is tiles (marble etc.). They have a clean cool look that I love.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

amother

Post Sun, Oct 30 2011, 2:04 am
Lady Bug wrote:
I'm a little confused. By laminate, do you mean the "pre-finished" wood slats or linoleum type of sheets that you can lay down yourself?

I say there is nothing like real hardwood. If you are tight on cash, the pre-finished, yet still real wood floors, are a great alternative. I would really stay away from linoleum, I just have an aversion to it. I think out looks dirty and cheap. Another option to consider, though pricey, is tiles (marble etc.). They have a clean cool look that I love.

I'm referring to Pergo -it's made to look like real wood, but isn't really. It's not made out of linoleum but not sure what it's made out of.

mykidsmother

Post Sun, Oct 30 2011, 9:57 am
Lady Bug wrote:

im talking about the prefinishd. I have them and love them, I actually have in 2 bedrooms vinyl tiles too that also looks like parquet but I like the prefinished wood better.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Oct 30 2011, 11:20 am
Quote:
I have hardwood in my dining room bc thats what was in my house when I moved in. I put laminate in 2 bedrooms more to the lighter side and I love the floor. it is almost 5 years old and it looks brand new. I understood the laminate wood iss real wood just has a laminating coat to keap it from getting damaged. I would definately recomend the laminate floor because it keeps nicer it is much cheaper in the begin with and also the upkeap is cheaper.

What you are describing, if it's real wood, is engineered wood. Laminate wood is vinyl flooring strips that look, more or less, like wood.

More options: Sheet vinyl, mamoleum or marmorette, and cork. Cork is a type of wood (think wine corks), very soft underfoot, you have to like the look. My mother's room has a cork floor (came with the house). It wears very well and refuses to die. I do not like the look, and we plan to replace it with a commercial sheet vinyl. Sheet vinyl is not currently popular, but is a really good flooring choice for playrooms, mudrooms, kids' rooms, and any high moisture areas such as kitchens and baths. Marmoleum and marmorette are linoleum -- the real thing, made from linseed (flax).

amother

Post Sun, Oct 30 2011, 12:24 pm
mykidsmother wrote:
I have hardwood in my dining room bc thats what was in my house when I moved in. I put laminate in 2 bedrooms more to the lighter side and I love the floor. it is almost 5 years old and it looks brand new. I understood the laminate wood iss real wood just has a laminating coat to keap it from getting damaged. I would definately recomend the laminate floor because it keeps nicer it is much cheaper in the begin with and also the upkeap is cheaper.

Laminate is not real wood. It's made out of melamine resin and fiberboard according to what I checked online.

amother

Post Sat, Nov 05 2011, 9:50 pm
You barely see a difference, and no one cares. Laminate is also cheaper and easy to set. I hardly know anyone with real thing.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics