Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Tuition is killing us. what are the alternatives?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

saw50st8

Post Sun, Dec 04 2011, 12:06 pm
http://www.k12.com/int

I've never used K12 so your best bet is to call them and ask for details.

Also, have you looked into the hebrew language charter school? AFAIK, its highly Jewish, though not exclusively.

BeershevaBubby

Post Sun, Dec 04 2011, 12:14 pm
My brother sends his oldest to the/a Hebrew Charter School in Brooklyn and gets a private tutor for Limudei Kodesh.

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Dec 04 2011, 12:32 pm
The socialization is not so hard. Home-schooled children interact with plenty of people, and other children, if the parents make that a specific part of the whole program.

The freelancing mentality is a little bit passive: "when I get work, I do it". Home-schooling requires an executive, managerial, non-employee mentality. If I can't actually teach myself, I can organize that teaching occurs. How do I research the subject of Torah Homeschooling so I know what is already available? And get into contact with people who can help me with this?

You have $2500 / year to educate a child, with no need to rent a building. Conceptualize a program in your own mind, defining a desired expected result, and develop a staff who will do this for you. There is a lot already developed. This is not a new idea.

When you organize a simcha, you contact a caterer, right? You don't have cook the food yourself to give a dinner.

Do we know what goes on inside a school? Is it magic in the mist? No. We went through it ourselves. It has component parts.

And, every parent whose child ties her shoes and comes when called has been a teacher. We underestimate our ability to teach because we think it is some magical mystical thing. You already are a teacher and a good one.

There is no need to re-invent the wheel. Click on the links. Start a file. Meet people. You already have a table and chairs.

amother

Post Sun, Dec 04 2011, 12:42 pm
YESHASettler wrote:
My brother sends his oldest to the/a Hebrew Charter School in Brooklyn and gets a private tutor for Limudei Kodesh.
I looked into it and im not crazy about the environment. it is basicly a public school, coed, tichers not dressed bitznius, classmates who all have televisions, not to mention relations ed way too young ect...if I'm out of options I would discuss with a rav whether to do that.

amother

Post Sun, Dec 04 2011, 12:51 pm
Dolly Welsh wrote:
The socialization is not so hard. Home-schooled children interact with plenty of people, and other children, if the parents make that a specific part of the whole program.

The freelancing mentality is a little bit passive: "when I get work, I do it". Home-schooling requires an executive, managerial, non-employee mentality. If I can't actually teach myself, I can organize that teaching occurs. How do I research the subject of Torah Homeschooling so I know what is already available? And get into contact with people who can help me with this?

You have $2500 / year to educate a child, with no need to rent a building. Conceptualize a program in your own mind, defining a desired expected result, and develop a staff who will do this for you. There is a lot already developed. This is not a new idea.

When you organize a simcha, you contact a caterer, right? You don't have cook the food yourself to give a dinner.

Do we know what goes on inside a school? Is it magic in the mist? No. We went through it ourselves. It has component parts.

And, every parent whose child ties her shoes and comes when called has been a teacher. We underestimate our ability to teach because we think it is some magical mystical thing. You already are a teacher and a good one.

There is no need to re-invent the wheel. Click on the links. Start a file. Meet people. You already have a table and chairs.

not everyone has mamnagerial or organizational skills. there's a reason im not a boss. like I said its not an attitude, its not a mindset its a skill set.I would be shortchanging my child by going full steam ahead with something I am bad at when her education is at stake. I really wish you would trust my judgement on the matter since you don't know me. I looked into homeschooling extensivly months ago. it says in pirkei avos that one without patience can't teach. teaching basic skills to a toddler is not the same thing as teaching limudei koshesh and s state approved curriculum of math and sciences and social studies to a growing student. I was a kindergarten teacher once. it was a disaster. please don't lecture me. I am open to something like k-12 where the lessons and curriculum are planned out. I can oversee it. but doing it all myself is a different story.

bigmomma

Post Sun, Dec 04 2011, 12:53 pm
I kNow, Gather some middle aged working people who are finished paying for their children's tuitions to give you their Maasar money for tuition. That is if they're not already helping their own children with their tuition's....

amother

Post Sun, Dec 04 2011, 12:54 pm
And for the record freelancing is anything but passive. unlike a 9 to 5 job where I go to work and the work is there and I get paid by the hour I have to actively seek out every job I get, and I don't get paid for the soliciting. it is hard and challenging work and when it comes it is rewarding. I don't wait for work to fall in my lap, I have to get out there and find it. it suits my skills and talents and personality best. unfortunately the current economy has made work harder to come by. I have to spend more unpaid time out finding it and and there is less of it to be found. I have looked for a regular job in the meantime but have not been matzliach. if you would daven for me I would appreciate that.

Tweedledee

Post Sun, Dec 04 2011, 12:55 pm
bigmomma wrote:
I kNow, Gather some middle aged working people who are finished paying for their children's tuitions to give you their Maasar money for tuition. That is if they're not already helping their own children with their tuition's....

thats right about when they need to start paying for chasunahs isn't it? how do you approach people with a request like that?

amother

Post Sun, Dec 04 2011, 1:03 pm
Tweedledee wrote:
bigmomma wrote:

thats right about when they need to start paying for chasunahs isn't it? how do you approach people with a request like that?

if you know of any such middle aged people I'd appreciate you approching them on my behalf. I don't know anyone I could ask that of.

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Dec 04 2011, 2:06 pm
Oh, OK. I see. Sorry.

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Dec 04 2011, 2:12 pm
amother wrote:
And for the record freelancing is anything but passive. unlike a 9 to 5 job where I go to work and the work is there and I get paid by the hour I have to actively seek out every job I get, and I don't get paid for the soliciting. it is hard and challenging work and when it comes it is rewarding. I don't wait for work to fall in my lap, I have to get out there and find it. it suits my skills and talents and personality best. unfortunately the current economy has made work harder to come by. I have to spend more unpaid time out finding it and and there is less of it to be found. I have looked for a regular job in the meantime but have not been matzliach. if you would daven for me I would appreciate that.

I will. I have.
Don't shoot me, but you have already tried teaching, it didn't work, but that was a whole class full of strangers.
If you truly cannot pay for Torah schooling, and you don't want public school, that leaves only one alternative as far as I can see.
The situation you describe shows a low hourly rate of real return. If you could replace your children's school, your hourly rate of real return would be much, much higher doing that. It would be efficient for you to stop freelancing and teach the kids.

EVEN IF NOT you could certainly try to link up with parents in similar situations - there must be plenty of them - and put your kids to learn with one of them, as you yourself proposed. Get a notebook and try.

You ARE a boss already, from what you describe.

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Dec 04 2011, 2:22 pm
As with cheaper weddings, there is a little theme here: we need to wiggle, and do with less, but still get the basic job done.

Home schooling has been considered superior, not a from-hunger thing.

Some children don't miss the institutional atmosphere, the bullying, the crowds, the herds in the hall, the teacher who has no time for your questions, the curriculum that must fit everybody, not the individual, the pace that must be kept up with even if you want to go slower - or faster.

What you think is a rhinestone, to use instead of a diamond, might be a better diamond.

amother

Post Sun, Dec 04 2011, 4:11 pm
LOl I'm not going tos hoot. you. I am aware of the positives of homeschooling. I am also aware of the positives playing an instrument. doesn't mean I know how to do it
. there are many I my neighborhood struggling but no one who is ready to make the leap to homeschooling yet. I've put out feelers. I keep trying to find ways to improve my income but I can only work mornings right now and if I ever come accross a job suitable for my skills, they invariably require afternoon hours. I did get a weekend job for the year but the program I was going to work for was cancled before we began. some things are just up to Hashem, I guess.

amother

Post Sun, Dec 04 2011, 4:30 pm
saw50st8 wrote:
http://www.k12.com/int

I've never used K12 so your best bet is to call them and ask for details.

Also, have you looked into the hebrew language charter school? AFAIK, its highly Jewish, though not exclusively.

I have looked ito it. its jewish but not very frum, not at all. its not a proper chinuch environment for a bais yaakov girl. I'm afraid it would come back to bite me.

amother

Post Sun, Dec 04 2011, 4:34 pm
ok so I just looked at k-12. its $30 a month per subject. it could easily equal the cost of BY tuition. I'm sunk.

amother

Post Sun, Dec 04 2011, 4:40 pm
on an annual basis tuition for k12 is $4995 for k-5th grade. this sin't helping much. grrrr. I found plenty of non jews to talk to about homeschooling but no one in my community who has made it work in frum life. its exasperating. if I ever do this I would need a community of other people to work with and support.

energy11

Post Sun, Dec 04 2011, 4:55 pm
Check: www.time4learning.com
It's great and cheap.
For math you can add www.ixl.com as well as www.khanacademy.org, voila!! LOL
Koddesh, I designed my own program which includes: shmirat halashon,
""praying with fire"", Emuna, Chassidut, Pirkey Shira, Chumash with Rashi, one Halacha a day and online shiurim.

amother

Post Sun, Dec 04 2011, 5:00 pm
energy11 wrote:
Check: www.time4learning.com
It's great and cheap.
For math you can add www.ixl.com as well as www.khanacademy.org, voila!! LOL
Koddesh, I designed my own program which includes: shmirat halashon,
""praying with fire"", Emuna, Chassidut, Pirkey Shira, Chumash with Rashi, one Halacha a day and online shiurim.

you do homeschooling??? where do you live? I am so excited to find someone who's actually done it.

amother

Post Sun, Dec 04 2011, 5:21 pm
I checked out time for learning. where's the tuition table? and also how do you start? once you sign up, then what? they give you lessons, or material and then you plan lesons?

energy11

Post Sun, Dec 04 2011, 5:35 pm
I now live in South America. I homeschool 3 girls, aged 9, 11 and 13.
Time 4 learning costs me $45 a month for all three.
I find it excellent!! My kids love it, its real cool.
Page 2 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics