Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Names with a "ch"
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Tue, Dec 06 2011, 3:15 pm
I definitely wudnt avoid, Theres always a way to twist n turn. DD's name is reitzy and my relatives all call her her Roxy LOL Wink I personally hate it. but dh doesnt care. As long as it works for them...

cfriedman2

Post Sun, Dec 11 2011, 1:02 am
I have a ch name- chana and it drives me nuts that ppl cant pronounce it. I am constantly telling ppl im hannah because its easier than ppl butchering my name. b"H im preg now and my husband and I both said were doing a name that is phenotelically pronounceable to everyone- there are lots of pretty jewish names out there that are, even though our family is religious.

amother

Post Sun, Dec 11 2011, 9:12 pm
We skipped chet and chaf names for that reason. They still mispronounce the names. Pick what you like.

My Raizy got called Razzy by her relatives for years.

dmum

Post Thu, Dec 15 2011, 4:31 pm
Even phonetic spellings don't always work. Nurses at hospital wanted to know if my DD's name Faigy was pronounced Fay - ie was it a silent g? Go figure!!

imamama

Post Thu, Dec 15 2011, 4:47 pm
I have some non-religious and non-Jewish relatives. They all call Amichai "Ami." For some reason they have a hard time with "Tz" also, so Tziona becomes "Siona" or as my husbands grandmother said, after numerous attempts at pronouncing the name correctly, "Bugger it. I'll just call her Fiona." And she does. The fact that they have a hard time pronouncing the name does not deter us from choosing the names we like.

Peanut2

Post Thu, Dec 15 2011, 5:01 pm
Non religious Israeli friends and relatives keep anglicizing DD's name, eg Rochelle instead of Rahel, Rebecca instead of Rivka. It drives me nuts!

We're okay with nicknames or some anglicizing for people who really can't pronounce names, but not Israelis!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names