Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Budget HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Previous  1  2

alpidarkomama

Post Fri, Jan 13 2012, 2:34 am
My best grocery cost reduction rule is one-ingredient shopping. I do sometimes buy things like graham crackers if they're at a good price, but pretty much 90% of what I buy has only one ingredient. Smile

Other than shabbos, we only do one meat night and one cheese night. The meat night usually uses a conservative amount of meat, such as meat sauce for pasta, one chicken leg or thigh per person with plenty of salads/grains/veggies, etc. The cheese night is usually Sunday night pizza. I use a light amount of cheese and lots of great toppings. Otherwise, our meals are mostly pareve (grains, beans, eggs, etc.).

Seraph

Post Fri, Jan 13 2012, 2:58 am
amother wrote:

Frozen pizza- kids usually have that twice a week.
Consider making your own pizza crust- make a bunch at once, cook the crusts, top with homemade tomato sauce, and sprinkle cheese on it, then freeze. That way you only have to pop it out of the freezer and bake.
Quote:
Cheese, yogurts, milk, eggs, etc... How do I cut back on that?
Consider making homemade yogurt. Its actually pretty easy.
Quote:
For shabbos, I treat myself to various dips and salmon. If I find comparible recipes, I could cook it but the vegetables cost too!
Salmon is pretty much the most expensive fish out there. You CAN make Tilapia or other cheaper fish for shabbos, it doesn't need to be salmon...

Post Fri, Jan 13 2012, 3:33 am
OP, you did not mention your husband's tuition. Is he on scholarship?

Can you get student insurance through his school? I got very cheap insurance for myself in my thirties from two different universities.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics