Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Help! I think we're living above our means. I want to fix it
Previous  1  2  3

curlgirl

Post Sun, Feb 19 2012, 3:15 am
amother wrote:
curlgirl wrote:
RachelEve14 wrote:
ding ding ding.

sounds a lot for food for a "small" family (how many exactly is small).

I agree.

DH and I were discussing this, after hearing from people that they spend 800-1000 shekels a WEEK on food. We were wondering what on earth they are buying :-)

(All were youngish couples with 2-4 young children)

We spend 1200 shekels a month, with everyone eating the main meal out during the week (with 2 small children BH).
We also all eat the main meal out of the house (or if not, its a small sandwich at home) but how do you spend 1200 a month? Do you buy no basari at all? That is our main staple for super.

If you eat the main meal out, why are you making chicken for supper? Question

Supper in our house is soup, eggs, pizza pitas, yogurts etc.

(Working full-time ensures having no energy to cook anyway, that saves us money ;-))

amother

Post Sun, Feb 19 2012, 3:59 am
curlgirl wrote:
amother wrote:
curlgirl wrote:
RachelEve14 wrote:
ding ding ding.

sounds a lot for food for a "small" family (how many exactly is small).

I agree.

DH and I were discussing this, after hearing from people that they spend 800-1000 shekels a WEEK on food. We were wondering what on earth they are buying :-)

(All were youngish couples with 2-4 young children)

We spend 1200 shekels a month, with everyone eating the main meal out during the week (with 2 small children BH).
We also all eat the main meal out of the house (or if not, its a small sandwich at home) but how do you spend 1200 a month? Do you buy no basari at all? That is our main staple for super.

If you eat the main meal out, why are you making chicken for supper? Question

Supper in our house is soup, eggs, pizza pitas, yogurts etc.

(Working full-time ensures having no energy to cook anyway, that saves us money ;-))
I am a dairy person, so for me I would eat "cheaper" foods all of the time. But my husband likes to have fleishig and at work, he usually gets a cheap salad of some sort, but I can try this out. I dont think it will go over too well with him. He is also lactose intolerant so dairy is not done so much for him, so even if I have something small that is dairy, my husband cant really have it or if so, just a bit of it.

StrongIma

Post Sun, Feb 19 2012, 4:22 am
so, you need supper alternatives that are more filling and nutritious than some salad and not dairy. have you tried pea soup with lots of vegetables and an omelette on the side? would he eat tuna patties? how about quinoa or chia? maybe you can cut down the fleishiks to twice a week with other ideas like these.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics