Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Lap band surgery, gastric bypass, pros/cons, halachic q.
  Previous  1  2  3 8 9  10  11  Next

greenfire

Post Sun, Mar 11 2007, 6:13 pm
miri123 wrote:
green honestly u ROCK !
For all the ppl that are judging I wonder if they would react like that if it would be a drug or alcohol addiction instead, or would they respond w/softer hand (word).

kool a second vote

R&RMom

Post Mon, Mar 12 2007, 6:58 am
like miri 123 wrote...
some of you may not realize this but a food addiction is just like any other addiction...drug, alcohol...
If a person were a drug addict and they had some kind of surgery to help them to stop taking drugs, you would applaud them...so why should it be different with food?
Yes, those of you who spoke about understanding where this food addiction is coming from, you are all correct...without getting to the bottom of it, a person will never break free of the addiction, surgery or no surgery... but once someone has understood what may have caused them to overeat as an addiction, why can't surgery be the right answer to help break the addiction?!
I think that instead of just bashing each other back and forth you need to all understand that what may not be a good idea for one person, may be the only option for another.
For those of you (elmofood) that see surgery as a viable option...I applaud you and wish you only success with your weight loss
For those of you who see dieting as the answer...to you as well I wish luck and success with your weight loss.

greenfire

Post Mon, Mar 12 2007, 9:00 am
just thought interesting info regarding overly overweight person - very sad:

http://theinsideronline.com/celeb/5459/

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Mar 12 2007, 10:01 am
I actually lost closer to 32 lbgs, altho I only kept off 25 . . andyes, Elmo, al pi my BMI, I was considered borderline obese!!!!!

elmofood

Post Mon, Mar 12 2007, 1:40 pm
green you know I love ya, but why would you post an article like this? especially knowing some of us had weight loss surgery. I do not want to see articles like this, it just scares people.
and r and r your sentiments could not have been expressed any better. wow thanks. I love you
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Mar 12 2007, 5:44 pm
Elmo, you could apologize . . or at least edit your post about me.

greenfire

Post Mon, Mar 12 2007, 5:52 pm
elmo - I'm sorry - I am stupid - guess I wanted people to see how bad it could be if one didn't do it sooner than later ... also I warned that it was sad ... and just be careful ... sorry - I should have posted elsewhere ...

elmofood

Post Mon, Mar 12 2007, 6:47 pm
thanks greenfire. I am happy to apologize cm but for what exactly? borderline obese is not really major. it means you were overweight, a lot of people are an extra few pounds are not life altering or thta dangerous for health. I am sorry if you are offended or hurt by my post. I just feel very strongly about my weight struggle and people who show no empathy for it.

Motek

Post Thu, Mar 15 2007, 10:23 am
R&RMom wrote:
If a person were a drug addict and they had some kind of surgery to help them to stop taking drugs, you would applaud them

No I wouldn't. Your analogy shows you don't understand the point choc has been making (which I support).

Quote:
once someone has understood what may have caused them to overeat as an addiction, why can't surgery be the right answer to help break the addiction?!

surgery does not break addictions, ask any surgeon

Quote:
I think that instead of just bashing each other back and forth

I see legitimate questions being asked and those questions not answered but derided.

I don't think either surgery or dieting is the answer. It's what goes on in the head and heart that matters and ultimately makes all the difference.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Mar 15 2007, 11:16 am
that's right athat surgery doesn't cure additction. but ppl don't like to hear that. once s/o complaiend that I wrote that, motek, and got my post deleted.

poelmamosh

Post Thu, Mar 15 2007, 12:42 pm
I will join in the fray...
...and stand firmly on the fence!
I wouldn't do the surgery myself, although I am probably a candidate or a borderline one, but having struggled all my life with my weight, I wouldn't knock anyone who opts for it out of desparation. For some people it is lifesaving, for others (I know one personally) it is the only way they could have kids.
When I'm really honest with myself, I know that with more self-control I could get a handle on this. Sure losing 75 lb is a more difficult goal than say 32, but a 180 lb person who leads a healthy lifestyle is better off than a thin one with terrible eating habits. So although it is true that NTs are not in a position to trully understand the struggle (or the scope of it), I also think we find these negative posts so offensive simply because of our insecurities.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 15 2007, 1:32 pm
Thanks all your controversy on this topic as it has made me do major research, just for the sake of understanding the phenomenon and the science behind it. The results of my research are that I'm actually in the midst of the process and hopefully am having surgery shortly. Thanks again.

MyKidsRQte

Post Thu, Mar 15 2007, 2:44 pm
as someone who has done the lap band surgery, I will say one thing. It doesnt change your eating habits, but you cant pig out the way you used to. So eventually you will have learn to adapt to your new diet-because you absolutely have no choice.

Squash

Post Thu, Mar 15 2007, 3:15 pm
Both my dh and myself have had the surgery.

As far as pple saying that it doesn't change your eating habits: For my dh, food was always a MAJOR issue. Food is obviously a major issue for me as well, but for him, everything revolved around food. Big time.

My biggest proof of this surgery being a way to deal with the actual problem is the fact that my dh has told me that he now thinks of food MUCH more differently then he used to.

In fact, before he had the surgery he was pretty nervous about not being able to eat as much as he wanted to. He REALLY REALLY enjoyed and needed his food. The only thing that made him actually have the surgery was the thought that if it'll be too much to bear (being separated from his beloved foods), he'll be able to loosen the band and then eat. But now that he's seen so much success with the band (60 lbs and counting!!) the thought doesn't even enter his mind. On the contrary - he doesn't even MISS the food!! He's so much happier eating just a little bit.

Trust me, if those words could be said by my husband - the band can help!!

As far as myself, I just recently had the surgery and have not been "filled" or "tightened" yet. I hope to have the same success as my husband iy"H, gezunterheit!

Motek

Post Sat, Mar 17 2007, 7:47 pm
I'm wondering - if food was a major thing in someone's life and then, due to surgery, it no longer is, whether because eating the wrong things or too much makes them vomit or they love the weight loss, does anything end up replacing the food in their lives? (I'm thinking of those who give up smoking who end up putting on weight because eating replaces smoking.)

MyKidsRQte

Post Sat, Mar 17 2007, 9:51 pm
Motek wrote:
I'm wondering - if food was a major thing in someone's life and then, due to surgery, it no longer is, whether because eating the wrong things or too much makes them vomit or they love the weight loss, does anything end up replacing the food in their lives? (I'm thinking of those who give up smoking who end up putting on weight because eating replaces smoking.)

for me, the only addiction I have since giving up food is IMAMOTHER. But I dont think that counts. I do think about some of the foods I would love to eat-like a goood steak once in a while, but I B"H dont have the need to turn to food every time get stressed, or nervous.

amother

Post Wed, Apr 25 2007, 8:29 pm
Has anyone here had any kind of weight loss surgery (WLS)? Success?
I had a duodenal switch 6 mos ago and have lost about 100lbs - which is about half of the amount I need to lose. B"H, things have gone very well.

It's hard to get support in the WLS forums, as few are Jewish and almost no one is observant. Sad

Squash

Post Wed, Apr 25 2007, 8:34 pm
I have no idea what it is that you had, but I got banded 2 months ago and am doing very well b"H.

There are some others on here who have done it way before me and have had very good results.

Maybe if you explain what it is you had........

Good luck!

Squash

Post Wed, Apr 25 2007, 8:40 pm
K, I googled it. I've heard of that but never knew what it was called. Can I ask why you opted for that over the other two options (gastric bypass or lapband)?

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Wed, Apr 25 2007, 9:04 pm
I did the lapband 8 months ago..
I havent lost very much, but it's bec. I didnt have a good dr, I switched in between.. and now Im stuck at 30 lbs but e/one said it will pick up again some day and Ill start losing again..
Page 9 of 11   Previous  1  2  3 8 9  10  11  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise