Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Lap band surgery, gastric bypass, pros/cons, halachic q.
  Previous  1  2  3 9  10  11  Next

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Thu, Apr 26 2007, 6:45 am
BE CAREFUL.

My aunt got the surgery that cuts the stomach size down so the body cant eat so much at once. She lost a lot of weight, but started eating again like before and re-streched her stomach. It had to be undone. Then she had it re-done and this time they made it so she can never absorb any fat again. End result. SHe just had yet anotehr surgery to remove all the excess skin because of how fast she lost weight.

My sister had the band. She spent a whole year loosign weight by the very simple meathod of whatever went in her stomach came back out. She was hospitalized countless times. They had to take out her gal bladder, and in the end, they took out the band and it was 3 surgerys and nothing to show for it.

be careful with your surgery's. make sure you stay healthy, please!

ablevaybel

Post Thu, Apr 26 2007, 11:02 am
My weightloss needed to be large and fairly quick for a variety of reasons. For more about the duodenal switch - go to www.duodenalswitch.com. There are several good articles that explain the procedure much better than I can, but, in short, the stomach is reduced, but unlike usual gastric bypass, RNY, etc., the stomach's own emptying valve is preserved, so it can empty normally. There is also a surgical rerouting of the intestine (though it is not removed so it can be reversed) which does not allow most fat to be absorbed - only about 20% of what is eaten.

I tried to get a lap band first, as I wanted something that was less invasive, but my insurance wouldn't cover it as they didn't think I would lose enough weight. They were probably right, and the DS has the best track record for keeping the weight off and preventing/"curing" diabetes (really, making the sugar levels normal, essentially putting the disease into remission) - about 98%. Since everybody in my family over 50 is diabetic, that was my biggest motivation.

Yesterday, I saw a lady who I know from N'shei Chabad and she did a triple take. She literally did not recognize me.

Talya

Post Tue, May 01 2007, 7:11 am
Did you ask a shayla before having the surgery? Is there a reason to?

FINKEL

Post Wed, May 02 2007, 8:01 am
I had the band done 10 months ago I lost 52 lbs
so far

ablevaybel

Post Wed, May 02 2007, 7:06 pm
Talya wrote:
Did you ask a shayla before having the surgery? Is there a reason to?

For what it's worth, Talya, I did ask a rav to posken on the DS. One of my big worries was that I wouldn't be able to fast on Yom Kippur or Tisha b'Av, because I have to eat and drink every few hours, at least for the first year.
I got a clear answer and since my situation was clearly for serious health issues, it was permitted.

Cdlf

Post Sun, Feb 10 2008, 10:27 am
I'M STRONGLY CONSIDERING THE LAP BAND. CAN YOU TELL ME WHICH DR. YOU USED AND IF YOU WOULD RECOMMEND THEM. I'M IN NY.

THANKING YOU ALL IN ADVANCE.

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Sun, Feb 10 2008, 10:30 am
Drs Ren and Feilding in NYU are the best in the field
1212-263-3166
good luck.
I Hope insurance approves it.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 11 2008, 7:19 am
I am very intrested in the lap band surgery, has anyone found out if the 10-12K price is correct for non insurance patients?

My biggest concern is becoming pregnant, we are in the middle of trying what if I get pregnant as im about to have the surgery or I don't know at the time, isnt that very dangerous?

Who has had successful child births after the lap band surgery and how long did they have to wait to try, in order to do that did they use birth control?

Are there any risks for future children?

How long do you have to be out of work for and when you do go to lets say DR Ren how long does it take is there a waiting list what is the exact procedure?

Thanks

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Feb 11 2008, 7:28 am
My friend got the lapband after 5-6 years of IF, she finally got pg, but miscarried. She got pg a few months later, and had the baby.

amother

Post Tue, Feb 12 2008, 1:20 pm
im thrilled to see this thread...heres my story had the surgery yesterday and was so nervous about the ansthisa...anyhow it turns out I had a ruptured cyst on my overys and she didnt put in the band she cleaned out all the blood.....so now I have to wait till next week to do it...so back comes the nerves....as for doc. I used dr. kurian which is with ren and feilding shes super nice and takes hip

Motek

Post Tue, May 13 2008, 1:27 pm
Someone told me of a young mother she knows who had the lap-band surgery and something went terribly awry and she has an aide for now but her prognosis is she'll be all right.

amother

Post Tue, May 13 2008, 2:33 pm
amother wrote:

My biggest concern is becoming pregnant, we are in the middle of trying what if I get pregnant as im about to have the surgery or I don't know at the time, isnt that very dangerous?

Who has had successful child births after the lap band surgery and how long did they have to wait to try, in order to do that did they use birth control?

Are there any risks for future children?

Thanks

I am onto my second pregnancy b'h after having the lapband done in 2005. I only waited 3 months after the surgery. I totally corrected my PCOS, according to my RE, b'h. The biggest risk was, I opened it all the way, as per my dh, and gained 60 lbs in that pregnancy, and still had 15 to go, when I got pregnant again, but I did NOT open it this time, and b'h only gained 4 lbs so far, and am in my 7th month, ka'h. Oh, the risk of the child? My baby is the cutest, blond haired, blue eyed, and most adorable of all my kids b'h. ka'h. Come to think of it, none of my others are blond, maybe that is the end result of the lapband, and the gaining 60 lbs, not enjoying the pregnancy due to the pain, and still having 15 more to go, which will hopefully come off after this baby. LOL

Motek

Post Tue, May 13 2008, 6:03 pm
amother wrote:
I did NOT open it this time, and b'h only gained 4 lbs so far, and am in my 7th month, ka'h.

4 lbs. and you're in your 7th month?!

First, how did you manage that and second, your dr. thinks this is fine for the baby?

amother

Post Tue, May 13 2008, 7:57 pm
Motek wrote:
amother wrote:
I did NOT open it this time, and b'h only gained 4 lbs so far, and am in my 7th month, ka'h.

4 lbs. and you're in your 7th month?!

First, how did you manage that and second, your dr. thinks this is fine for the baby?

Just by not being able to eat too much, and my doctor is very happy with my weight at this time, b'h. My baby seems to be gaining right on target too b'h.

ESB

Post Mon, May 19 2008, 8:37 pm
Im in the process of getting Hip and then will call nlyu and start the procedure. How long do you stay in the hospital after the surgery?

amother

Post Tue, May 20 2008, 2:52 am
Just 1 night after the lap band.

Motek

Post Tue, May 20 2008, 8:45 am
amother wrote:
My baby seems to be gaining right on target too b'h.

not quite on topic but I'm curious - if you're in your 7th month and have gained only 4 pounds, why are pregnant women expected (by their doctors) to gain about 20 pounds during a pregnancy (not just 4 by the 7th month)? Is it completely unnecessary to gain that much?

chocolate moose

Post Tue, May 20 2008, 8:46 am
Motek wrote:
amother wrote:
My baby seems to be gaining right on target too b'h.

not quite on topic but I'm curious - if you're in your 7th month and have gained only 4 pounds, why are pregnant women expected (by their doctors) to gain about 20 pounds during a pregnancy (not just 4 by the 7th month)? Is it completely unnecessary to gain that much?

You see !!!!!! And people holler at me to defend their weight gain !!!!!

Motek

Post Tue, May 20 2008, 9:16 am
What are you talking about choc?

Are we supposed to know?

chocolate moose

Post Tue, May 20 2008, 11:31 am
I'm always chastized when I bring up the fact that I was only allowed to gain 20 lbs with each preg. People are always saying that it's healthier to gain more.

Now, this lady didn't gain more and I am just thinking about the irony, that's all.
Page 10 of 11   Previous  1  2  3 9  10  11  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise