Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Are you baking for MM?
Previous  1  2

sunny90

Post Wed, Feb 29 2012, 2:46 am
Yes I am baking a variety of cookies for MM.
I'm pretty sure that anyone we're giving to trusts me that I don't have my DS's little hands in the food that I'm giving to other people, and that I wash my hands before baking in any case.
I love getting homemade stuff, it's USUALLY delicious!

Strawberry2

Post Wed, Feb 29 2012, 4:50 am
wereafamily wrote:
PZA wrote:
Why so u bake? Do you think someone wanted your baked stuff? All baked stuff we troughs straight into garbage!
I never know how many kids hands and feet were in their

What is the difference between eating by someone for shabbos and getting baked goods for mm? or maybe you don't eat out...

Do you get mm from e/o that you would eat by?
I have a friend that I would never eat her food (never ate in her house) her house is always filthy, I promise you don't want to see what her counters look like - yes at all hours of the day! The biggest joke is that she doesn't eat a/t from a/o else cause it makes her nauseous! LOL

I have friends that we really enjoy their home-baked goodies, all depends who it's from. and what their level of cleanliness in the kitchen is.

Guess it doesn't help that their kids are ALWAYS dirty.

chanchy123

Post Wed, Feb 29 2012, 5:06 am
I also have a problem with baked goods, and my house is not exactly Better Homes and Gardens.
I can't explain why they gross me out most of the time, it's just a weird thing I have, and most of my family is like that too. I think it's because my mother is an amazing semi-professional baker, so we have high standards for baked goods.
What would help me eat your MM, if the food is packaged appropriately, isn't kvetched, and if it isn't touching anything else. Oh, this doesn't deter me from baking for MM (my mom does too).
I try to individually wrap my baked goods and pack them nicely and I'm pretty sure other people eat them (I have also gotten comments about my baking). My DH totally can't understand it.
I think the only thing worse than a mushed cake is a dried up salad.

Oh, and I think I'm doing chocolate bark, truffles, and some sort of yummy cookie this year.

ewa-jo

Post Wed, Feb 29 2012, 5:32 am
wereafamily wrote:
Am I supposed to make my oven parve? (I'm to lazy to put my oven on self cleaner for the next 3 hours..)

My hammentaschen are dairy. They taste better when you use butter.

I think people appreciate homemade more than the generic stuff you buy from the grocery store.

hycup

Post Wed, Feb 29 2012, 6:02 am
For those who through away baked goods, aren't you concerned with bal tashchis? Just curious as to what goes through your heads that's all. If I think something is gross I will actually leave it out for a day or two in a covered container in the corner of my counters until its stale/inedible and then I "can" through it out.

@strawberry2 - sounds like your friend might have ADHD. (Sounds like a character in one of Riva's stories from Mishpacha). She (or her DH) might appreciate a suggestion that she get diagnosed and get help....

ally

Post Wed, Feb 29 2012, 6:19 am
chanchy123 wrote:
I also have a problem with baked goods, and my house is not exactly Better Homes and Gardens.
I can't explain why they gross me out most of the time, it's just a weird thing I have, and most of my family is like that too. I think it's because my mother is an amazing semi-professional baker, so we have high standards for baked goods.
What would help me eat your MM, if the food is packaged appropriately, isn't kvetched, and if it isn't touching anything else. Oh, this doesn't deter me from baking for MM (my mom does too).
I try to individually wrap my baked goods and pack them nicely and I'm pretty sure other people eat them (I have also gotten comments about my baking). My DH totally can't understand it.
I think the only thing worse than a mushed cake is a dried up salad.

Oh, and I think I'm doing chocolate bark, truffles, and some sort of yummy cookie this year.

I think maybe this is the key.

anonymrs

Post Wed, Feb 29 2012, 7:57 am
PSA: It's "THROW it out" not "THROUGH it out".

hycup

Post Wed, Feb 29 2012, 10:14 am
LOL thanks anonymrs.. spelling is not my strongest skill....

AlwaysThinking

Post Wed, Feb 29 2012, 1:34 pm
yksraya wrote:
I have one fleishig oven and one parve one. I use a toaster oven for milchig.

Same Smile I find it works great.

Oh, and I'm making homemade for MM. It's too much fun not to.

sky

Post Wed, Feb 29 2012, 8:12 pm
observer wrote:
maybe the rov has a no home baked goods policy,

Obviosly every person and community is different but I know that my rav eats most of the food he recieves in mm. Mainly the stuff they don't eat is just not marked yoshon. And his wife appreciates all the real food they get. Its a huge help during the weeks leading up to Pesach when the rav is busier.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Feb 29 2012, 8:49 pm
I am making cookies and I made chocolate. I bake on sunday, when my oven is already clean for 24 hours, and I know from using it friday night if something spilled or not.

the only time I throw out something homemade is
1) if the mm doesnt have a name on it so I dont know who made it
2) if it comes from someone whose house I wouldnt eat in ANYWAY

Alef Bais

Post Wed, Feb 29 2012, 8:58 pm
I'm also not a fan of home baked goods in the MM. I don't appreciate receiving them and don't know anyone who does Smile

wereafamily

Post Wed, Feb 29 2012, 9:50 pm
I self cleaned my oven. Thanks everyone!

I am really surprised that some of you wouldn't eat others baked goods... because if that's the case I dont see how you eat by others, eat in a restaurant or buy from a bakery... BUT everyone is different Wink

m in Israel

Post Thu, Mar 01 2012, 9:09 am
I always bake, and always get tons of feedback that people enjoyed. In fact one year a friend of my husband's was going to be away for Purim, and he put in a request if we could save him a MM anyway, because they look forward to getting our cake every year!!!

We basically give MM only to people who would eat at our house, so I have no reason to assume they won't eat my baked goods. I am careful to label everything clearly (parve/ fleishig oven, and in chul that it was yoshon), and make sure our name is attached clearly.

I love getting homemade items -- same logic -- if I would eat at someone's house I have no problem eating the MM. Once or twice we have gotten homemade MM from people who we were not sure about their Kashrus (students, new neighbors) -- then I gave it to my non-Jewish cleaning lady.

iluvmykidso

Post Thu, Mar 01 2012, 9:28 am
I enjoy baking for mm. most people enjoy what I bake. and I would prefer home baked goods (if its good) then to your candy and garbage that you put in. most candy usually gets thrown in the garbage after purim.

gold21

Post Thu, Mar 01 2012, 9:38 am
I dont know yet what I am doing for MM, but I might bake. I only give my homemade stuff to people who know me well enough to eat my food- I give store- bought stuff to my sons morah and other people like that who dont know me personally. I dont know why people have issues with homemade food. my food is probably more obssesively kosher and more obsessively clean than your own stuff- I am a bit of a perfectionist in the kitchen. so eat it! ;-)

gold21

Post Thu, Mar 01 2012, 9:41 am
oh and yes I really enjoy getting homemade stuff. yuuuummmm!!! maybe I just have really clean kosher friends? ;-) (especially twizzler's potato kugel)

jelly belly

Post Thu, Mar 01 2012, 9:44 am
Some years I bake, some years not. I don't eat home made food from everybody. If I have been in their home and its really not clean (thankfully only a couple of people I know), I don't eat it. If the food looks really unappetizing or required lots of personal handling (like you can see their fingerprints in the icing), I don't eat it.

My dh can be counted on to eat almost anything Very Happy. Everything else gets thrown out once its no longer fresh.

dee's mommy

Post Thu, Mar 01 2012, 10:27 am
I happen not to be baking this year. (in other words, my one baking project failed, and I don't have the patience or energy to do it again before Purim.)

Typically, when I bake for any occasion, I keep keep the oven pareve. If I didn't, I would label it on my package in the same place I would write "nut free" or "cooked in a meat pot" or something like that.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics