Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
ATTENTION!!! Please beware when cooking for Pesach!
Previous  1  2

geshmak

Post Sun, Mar 18 2012, 5:52 am
Allergy reminder, one of the heimishe gefilte fish companies used walnut oil in their frozen fish last year.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Mar 18 2012, 7:06 am
geshmak wrote:
Allergy reminder, one of the heimishe gefilte fish companies used walnut oil in their frozen fish last year.

shock Yipes! I never would have expected that. I hope it's not Benz! I'll be reading labels a lot more carefully now.

Mimisinger

Post Sun, Mar 18 2012, 7:35 am
We always tell the hosts, but alas I'm human and sometimes forget. It's not the baked goods - those we remember to ask and it's not a big deal to just not eat dessert. It's the chicken encrusted with nuts or peanut butter that we're not expecting. And at Pesach time, when more people use nut oils and nuts to encrust things, it's important to be aware.

There are a few on this thread that seem to have some issues with this. Here, all the schools are nut free. So maybe we're just more aware. But I'm not saying not to make x, y and z, I'm just telling you that if my dh eats it, he'll die CH"V.

aidelmaidel

Post Sun, Mar 18 2012, 8:50 am
This is why we stopped eating out on pesach. One of my kids has an allergy to sulfites. Everyone in CH cooks with wine. And me and my other child are allergic to tropical fruit - pineapple, mango, etc.

I'd rather stay home and know we're safe then risk a call to hatzolah (shabbos/yomtov).

small bean

Post Sun, Mar 18 2012, 3:20 pm
I want to add that many times you don't realize that regular ingredients we use contain allergens.

For ex. my ds can't eat anything if you sprayed the pan with PAM. Or, he can't eat margarine, and people do make chicken recipes and stuff that contain margarine. There are many times, that I can't tell if food has things he can't eat in it. It's not always obvious.

I think in general it's good to read all labels before using it, If you are having people over with allergies.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics