Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How much $ do you make?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

amother

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 11:39 am
Squishy wrote:
amother wrote:
I make $33,500 gross a year with a full time (9-5) job.
DH is in kollel. He gets $500 from second seder, $300 from night seder, first seder is "free" (but he has a GREAT chavrusa). he also does a small side job that makes around $200 a month. so he brings in approx $1,000 a month .

So altogether our gross annual income is about $45,500

Rent is $650 a month.

We dont pay for our cell phone bills (would be $30/month if we did since added to my parents plan)

We dont pay daily babysitting for our 5 month old since my mother takes him. We may have to start paying when I have my second in about 7 months. (!) Dunno that she will be able to handle 2 babies, but I guess it will also depend on how easy/hard the next one is.

We do not qualify for food stamps or HEAP.
We do qualify for medicaid- tho I am on my parents insurance as well since I am under 26 (thanks to obama care) but Dh and Ds are only on medicaid
We would qualify for WIC but at this point I dont have time to spend a day in the office once every few months.

What state are you in?

Dont want to say exact cause there are many details to give me away but I am in the midwest

amother

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 11:39 am
I make abt 30k a year and my husband makes abt 60k.
I own my house and pay 2275 for mtg but have a tenant who pays 950 so its 1325 abt.
I have a lease for 150 a month and a car I financed for 240
I pay 500 a month for babysitting for my 9 month old.
I also pay a lot in car insurance, electric, gas, water etc. (abt 700 a month)
food is abt 550 a month.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 11:42 am
Squishy wrote:
amother wrote:
Squishy wrote:
amother wrote:
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Most kollels you know give $400/week? Where can I sign up?

My dh gets $1000/month for part time kollel (1 seder a day). FTers here get much more. I assume that is above average though.

You do realize your husband's one seder is above this rate? At $400 a week fulltime that is $1720 monthly. So it is not out of line.

Yes, obviously I do. That's why I responded as such to Hashem Yaazor.

My dh also supplements his income by being baal koreh, baal tefila, learning with baalei batim, tutoring, etc. He is working or learning almost every waking minute. Kollel does not mean lazy.

Sorry, by "it" I thought you meant the $400 a week. It was not clear. Did I ever say anywhere that kolleh meant lazy?

Sorry- the lazy was not in response to you. Just a general statement.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 11:44 am
[quote="Peanut2"]
amother wrote:
me and my husband are in chinuch in teh midwest- earning a joint salary of 55k
we own a house- bought a foreclosure
we have two cars (cuz that is the only way to get around- it is not a luxury)
we have 4 kids and one on the way
we work a million side jobs
and we are not making ends meet
we dont qualify for government programs
my hus does not have insurance- I have insurance (medicaid) when I am pregnant, cuz here they give pregnant moms and kids medicaid regardless of income[/quote]

They don't ask you about your income? Because I am fairly certain that medicaid is always a means tested benefit.

In NY, you do not have to provide income documentation to receive Medicaid while pregnant.

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 11:44 am
yoshi wrote:
Squishy wrote:
yoshi wrote:
I'm not about to publicize our household income, but I was curious about something. Is it common for children to get assistance from their parents? We never received financial support, but I always assumed I was in the majority when in came to that. What

In a lot of circles, it is common for each set of parents to spend $50,000 marrying their kids off. The kids start out with everything. Often the first year's rent is negotiated.

It is common in my circles for the grandparents to pay for summer camp. There is line on the tuition assistance application for who pays for summer camp. Grandparents often pay for braces also.

I plan to assist my children. I want them to have their education paid for and a house to live in. Hopefully, by offering them a house, they won't move far.

Where are these circles, and how do I sign up!

I actually had a Chassidish family that "adopted" me so I could feel as special as any kallah. I was a widow with young kids when I got married. They married me off in grand style. They even threw in a very generous wedding gift to give us a good start.

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 11:47 am
amother wrote:
Squishy wrote:
amother wrote:
I make $33,500 gross a year with a full time (9-5) job.
DH is in kollel. He gets $500 from second seder, $300 from night seder, first seder is "free" (but he has a GREAT chavrusa). he also does a small side job that makes around $200 a month. so he brings in approx $1,000 a month .

So altogether our gross annual income is about $45,500

Rent is $650 a month.

We dont pay for our cell phone bills (would be $30/month if we did since added to my parents plan)

We dont pay daily babysitting for our 5 month old since my mother takes him. We may have to start paying when I have my second in about 7 months. (!) Dunno that she will be able to handle 2 babies, but I guess it will also depend on how easy/hard the next one is.

We do not qualify for food stamps or HEAP.
We do qualify for medicaid- tho I am on my parents insurance as well since I am under 26 (thanks to obama care) but Dh and Ds are only on medicaid
We would qualify for WIC but at this point I dont have time to spend a day in the office once every few months.

What state are you in?

Dont want to say exact cause there are many details to give me away but I am in the midwest

I was thinking that because of the socially progressive states. In NY your husband would not qualify. The income cap is less than one third of what you make.

farm

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 11:52 am
amother wrote:
amother wrote:

When you do that, and lots of people do, tell me about living on a low budget. Until then, express more gratitude for the parents and the government that are allowing you to have a prolonged adolescence.

I expressed it in line 5.
Our parents are very happy to allow us these few years of me being home when the kids are small.
I'm sorry that you are annoyed at paying for our Food Stamps. Go to East New York and Harlem, and you'll meet a whole bunch more of the people you are supporting. If you don't like it, move out of NYC. That's what we plan to do when I start working. There are several states that have little or no income tax - Florida, Texas, Delaware - take your pick.

It is none of my business how you live your life and where your money comes from etc, but I just can't hold myself back on this one-
you have no problem taking tax money for your food stamps but when the time comes where you will be in the position to give back after these years of taking, your plan is to davka move out of state to avoid this? And your parents are happy and proud of you?

Barbara

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 11:57 am
[quote="amother"]
Peanut2 wrote:
amother wrote:
my hus does not have insurance- I have insurance (medicaid) when I am pregnant, cuz here they give pregnant moms and kids medicaid regardless of income[/quote]

They don't ask you about your income? Because I am fairly certain that medicaid is always a means tested benefit.

In NY, you do not have to provide income documentation to receive Medicaid while pregnant.

I don't know what documentation must be provided, but there is an income limit:

http://www.health.ny.gov/commu.....e.htm

So a woman having her first child qualifies at $30,260 annual income.

ora_43

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 12:00 pm
amother wrote:
I don't think of paying for college as "financial support." In my upper-middle-class upbringing, college education is part of the parents' responsibility of childrearing. For kids who are not cut out for college, parents do what they can to help the kid get ready for adult life (vocational training, seed money for a business, etc).

In circles where young couples get support, that's what's seen as part of the parents' responsibility. You help "get them on their feet" so that they can marry young and set up a family and learn in kollel and whatnot. Usually it's the young families getting support, it's not a life-long thing.

It's not my system so I don't really understand the details. I agree that it seems essentially different from financial help that specifically gets young adults ready to support themselves in the future. But OTOH, college isn't really helping people prepare to support themselves in many cases, either, at least not these days - it's just one of those things that you have to do because you're a bad parent if you don't (whether your kid has a concrete plan to become an accountant, or plans to major in whatever's vaguely interesting).

Basically everyone has their own ideas of what parents should pay to get their kids set up, and the rules have more to do with expectations than logic. And someone whose parents sent a school $100,000 or more in tuition didn't do it themselves any more than someone whose parents sent them a $1,000 check each month for their first five years of marriage, IMHO.

MamaBear

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 12:00 pm
The previous amother might actually be moving out of NY for a number of reasons, not primarily tax reasons: cost of living, job opportunities, quality of life, lack of materialism, less traffic and I could go on and on.

chocolate chips

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 12:02 pm
farm wrote:
amother wrote:
amother wrote:

When you do that, and lots of people do, tell me about living on a low budget. Until then, express more gratitude for the parents and the government that are allowing you to have a prolonged adolescence.

I expressed it in line 5.
Our parents are very happy to allow us these few years of me being home when the kids are small.
I'm sorry that you are annoyed at paying for our Food Stamps. Go to East New York and Harlem, and you'll meet a whole bunch more of the people you are supporting. If you don't like it, move out of NYC. That's what we plan to do when I start working. There are several states that have little or no income tax - Florida, Texas, Delaware - take your pick.

It is none of my business how you live your life and where your money comes from etc, but I just can't hold myself back on this one-
you have no problem taking tax money for your food stamps but when the time comes where you will be in the position to give back after these years of taking, your plan is to davka move out of state to avoid this? And your parents are happy and proud of you?
Thumbs Up

I can understand families that might get paid half on and half off the books because otherwise they cannot get food stamps, but they NEED foodstamps (Ie no other money to pay for food).

But the fact you are living in your parents (fine with me) and getting foodstamps (also passable with me) but then will MOVE so as not to have to pay for other people to do exactly what you do? What would you do if everyone else would do that? You wouldn't have foodstamps...then what?

I still think that the American government aid system is so messed up!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 12:48 pm
Barbara wrote:
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

Unfortunately, you're going to have to make a choice. Stay female and on amother, or switch teams and kollel. You can't do both.
It's discrimination to not allow women in kollelim.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 1:10 pm
I work 9-5 and earn $1,400 a month. DH earns $5-700 a month and my father gives us $1,000 a month. Rent is $1,250 plus utilities, phone, cellphone, taxi every day to work, babysitting, etc... B"h we mange to put away afew dollars every month...

jelly belly

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 1:10 pm
[quote="Barbara"]
amother wrote:
Peanut2 wrote:
amother wrote:

I don't know what documentation must be provided, but there is an income limit:

http://www.health.ny.gov/commu.....e.htm

So a woman having her first child qualifies at $30,260 annual income.

And this amother would qualify since she is under 69,860 for her 7-person household as of now.

abmom

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 1:13 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Barbara wrote:
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

Unfortunately, you're going to have to make a choice. Stay female and on amother, or switch teams and kollel. You can't do both.
It's discrimination to not allow women in kollelim.

Very Happy LOL!! Smile

amother

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 1:13 pm
MamaBear wrote:
The previous amother might actually be moving out of NY for a number of reasons, not primarily tax reasons: cost of living, job opportunities, quality of life, lack of materialism, less traffic and I could go on and on.

so when she's on the receiving end, she can put up with all these inconveniences but once she's in a position to give back, she's outta here?

anon for this

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 1:16 pm
amother wrote:

SNAP (food stamps) and WIC are funded by the USDA, through federal--not state or local--income taxes.

MrsDash

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 1:23 pm
This thread has gone from how much money you earn, to having parental funding, to the government assistance debate, to women learning in kollel LOL Where will this lead to next?

Faigy86

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 1:28 pm
yoshi wrote:
This thread has gone from how much money you earn, to having parental funding, to the government assistance debate, to women learning in kollel LOL Where will this lead to next?

to if you send your kids to camp if you are a sahm or if camp is a luxury or necessity - its almost time for camp season and we haven't had another thread that even came close to that one Smile

amother

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 2:02 pm
yoshi wrote:

SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Page 7 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics