Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How much $ do you make?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

amother

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 5:13 pm
To the amother making $16,000 a year- where does your internet bill come in? Who pays for that? It's not a necessity if you don't work from home.

I love how so many people are posting they don't eat meat during the week, shop cheaply, etc, but still pay for internet.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 5:14 pm
amother wrote:
yoshi wrote:
This thread has gone from how much money you earn, to having parental funding, to the government assistance debate, to women learning in kollel LOL Where will this lead to next?

SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bein Hazmanim has begun. It's official.

spring13

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 5:20 pm
amother wrote:
To the amother making $16,000 a year- where does your internet bill come in? Who pays for that? It's not a necessity if you don't work from home.

I love how so many people are posting they don't eat meat during the week, shop cheaply, etc, but still pay for internet.

Why is meat more important than internet? Considering how much people use the web for now (communication, shopping, research, school, work), I wouldn't say it's a total luxury.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 5:22 pm
spring13 wrote:
amother wrote:

Why is meat more important than internet? Considering how much people use the web for now (communication, shopping, research, school, work), I wouldn't say it's a total luxury.

Maybe it's just me, but depriving your family of certain foods because it's too expensive sounds strange to me when you are paying for internet. There are other ways of accessing the web without having it in your home. Go the library or a friends house.

spring13

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 5:27 pm
amother wrote:
spring13 wrote:
amother wrote:

Maybe it's just me, but depriving your family of certain foods because it's too expensive sounds strange to me when you are paying for internet. There are other ways of accessing the web without having it in your home. Go the library or a friends house.

Um, eating vegetarian isn't deprivation. Meat can be very healthy, but it's not technically required in the human diet. Definitely not every day.

I have a feeling your prob w/ web access isn't really about money.

jelly belly

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 5:32 pm
amother wrote:

Many phone and internet plans are tied together. Perhaps people want phone service (highly recommended) and internet is no extra charge, or very minimal ($5/month let's say).

And anyway, who are you to prioritize for others? If they enjoy internet more than meat, let them eat beans! I don't think they were inviting you for dinner anyway.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 5:34 pm
spring13 wrote:
amother wrote:
spring13 wrote:
amother wrote:

Um, eating vegetarian isn't deprivation. Meat can be very healthy, but it's not technically required in the human diet. Definitely not every day.

You're right, my problem isn't with the internet per se, rather people who spend money on unnecessary things, while struggling with paying for daily necessities (not talking about buying meat here). For example my MIL gets shabbos packages from Tomchei shabbos, but feels it's necessary to lease a late model car. Skewed priorities is what I'm talking about.

chocolate chips

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 5:52 pm
amother wrote:
spring13 wrote:
amother wrote:
spring13 wrote:
amother wrote:

You're right, my problem isn't with the internet per se, rather people who spend money on unnecessary things, while struggling with paying for daily necessities (not talking about buying meat here). For example my MIL gets shabbos packages from Tomchei shabbos, but feels it's necessary to lease a late model car. Skewed priorities is what I'm talking about.
It has all got to do with priorities but in todays world internet is almost like having a telephone.

I do have internet, I only got it when I got a job from home. A week to two weeks of work covers the cost of a month internet payments. But I do not have a landline because I cannot afford cell and landline and I prefer cell.

Unfortunately for some they have skewed priorities and I cannot understand why tomchei shabbos give out to people who drive the best cars! or only shop in saks!

Faigy86

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 6:03 pm
chocolate chips wrote:
I do have internet, I only got it when I got a job from home. A week to two weeks of work covers the cost of a month internet payments. But I do not have a landline because I cannot afford cell and landline and I prefer cell.

I assume you mean an hour to two hours of work covers the cost of a month's internet payments.

ElTam

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 6:17 pm
Quote:

I do a freelance job every month that more than pays for my phone/internet, which I use for my other two part-time jobs. My DH regularly brings work home that requires him to access his server at work in the evenings and on Sunday. Internet is not an option. It's part of keeping our employment.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 6:21 pm
ElTam wrote:
Quote:

I do a freelance job every month that more than pays for my phone/internet, which I use for my other two part-time jobs. My DH regularly brings work home that requires him to access his server at work in the evenings and on Sunday. Internet is not an option. It's part of keeping our employment.

I was referring to others who do not require internet in their homes...

amother

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 6:39 pm
DH works full time as an engineer and makes $75,000/year gross. I work part time and bring in about $1200/month.

We live in a really expensive area and we rent a 2 bedroom/1 bath apartment for $1650/month
I have a babysitter/cleaner who watches my kids when I work for $12/hour so that is $600/month which means I only net $600 in profits from my PT job after paying my babysitter.
No tuition yet, but playgroup is $10/hour so I cannot afford to send my child every morning.
I try to be really frugal with food and spend between $80-100 a week.
Diapers for 2 kids is expensive
Auto Insurance $80
Utilities $100
Phones $85
we are saving up to buy a house...

chocolate chips

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 7:10 pm
Faigy86 wrote:
chocolate chips wrote:

I assume you mean an hour to two hours of work covers the cost of a month's internet payments.

No I have a very VERY part time job so its 2-4 hours a week. If its 4 hours so one week covers internet which is needed for this job. I plan on getting a better, longer job from home iyh so less work time will cover more costs.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 9:47 pm
Quote:
We eat mostly dairy/pareve but one meat meal a week usually when chicken or ground meat is on sale.

amother, how do you make this work? I find that the price of cheese or cottage cheese is just as much - if not more than - buying 1 quarter chicken (or cutlet) per person. A family package of cutlets is 3-4 dollars on sale (I buy by the case and deep freeze) - one package of cottage cheese (of which I need two for a lasagna, which also needs cheese, pasta, eggs, and sauce) costs that much.

Fish suppers cost more than steak. I try to buy salmon only when it's on sale, but when do I buy meat that's $7.99 (super-sale price on salmon!) a pound?! Sure, the frozen fish is okay, but again, it's about $1 per fillet - and each person needs three to feel full, so that's about the price of chicken anyway (and the fish sometimes comes out tasting like... well, frozen fish. Chicken always comes out reliably good.)

I've found that pareve or milchig meals cost MORE than fleishig meals (meat is for Shabbos and anniversaries, I'm talking chicken here.) As a matter of fact, turkey is far cheaper than any milchig concoction! The only thing I can think of that's cheaper than chicken is a non-straight protein, like having beans and rice tacos for supper. However, I'm really trying to get more straight-up proteins into our diet, and less carbs, so that's not really an option. For instance, macaroni and cheese would never go over as a supper in my house - as a side, perhaps, but never a supper. Pizza is as decadent as I try to be (and it comes out pretty $$$, because of the cheese and wraps - dough is too time consuming to make.)

Can anyone clarify? I'm so intensely curious. This has bothered me for a long time and I'd really like to know.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 9:55 pm
One night we eat pasta sometimes pareve sometimes with cheese.

Another night or two are bean based. The rest is based on what I feel like I can spend that week. This week we have had pasta omelettes and tilapia tacos.

I also try to stretch the cheese. I try to use half a small bag per meal. It's also on sale a fair amount. Thank you shtark!

Pashence

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 10:10 pm
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
yoshi wrote:
This thread has gone from how much money you earn, to having parental funding, to the government assistance debate, to women learning in kollel LOL Where will this lead to next?

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL
hahaha!! other than this comment, this thread has given me a headache!!!

tryingmybest

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 11:57 pm
Pashence wrote:
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
yoshi wrote:

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL
hahaha!! other than this comment, this thread has given me a headache!!!

genious...when every other thread screams s*x the yeshivos are out! LOL LOL LOL LOL

sarahd

Post Wed, Mar 28 2012, 4:34 am
amother wrote:
Pizza is as decadent as I try to be (and it comes out pretty $$$, because of the cheese and wraps - dough is too time consuming to make.)

If time is your problem, I have a dough recipe that I took off this website. It takes three minutes to prepare and five minutes to rise.

Raisin

Post Wed, Mar 28 2012, 4:54 am
sarahd wrote:
amother wrote:
Pizza is as decadent as I try to be (and it comes out pretty $$$, because of the cheese and wraps - dough is too time consuming to make.)

If time is your problem, I have a dough recipe that I took off this website. It takes three minutes to prepare and five minutes to rise.

when I make pizza, I make a bunch of extra pizza bases that I freeze for another time or two.

amother, if you think the only good protein is fish or meat, yes,its going to cost money. I don't think beans and rice are less healthy then steak and salad, however much atkins may convince you of that.

not sure why pizza is healthier then mac and cheese. Both would be equal in my book.

sarahd

Post Wed, Mar 28 2012, 5:34 am
I put vegetables on my pizza, maybe that makes it healthier. I make my dough with whole wheat flour; the whole wheat macaroni here tastes awful and my kids won't touch it.
Page 8 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics