Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Strollers
Bugaboo donkey deal?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother

Post Tue, Apr 24 2012, 8:55 pm
Ritty wrote:
I got the Bugaboo Donkey as a baby gift from hub...so $1500 paid for stroller AND baby gift. Smile

And I'll second BNM- the Bugaboo Donkey IS my car!!! Love it.

$1500 is more than my husband has spent on 3 years worth of gifts for me, plus our double stroller (a used bumbleride). Just sayin' Wink

Peanut2

Post Tue, Apr 24 2012, 9:12 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I don't believe it's legal to skip the tax just to buy from a friend. It is legal in many states to buy online from stores that don't operate in your state and forgo taxes that way.

To be dlkz, I think the idea is to subtract the tax from the actual purchase and still pay tax. So say I buy something and have to pay $80 in tax, the seller will subtract $80 from the cost of purchase, ie my stroller is now $920 instead of $1000. Then taxes are added and it ends up costing the same as without tax.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Apr 24 2012, 9:18 pm
amother wrote:
Ritty wrote:
I got the Bugaboo Donkey as a baby gift from hub...so $1500 paid for stroller AND baby gift. Smile

And I'll second BNM- the Bugaboo Donkey IS my car!!! Love it.

$1500 is more than my husband has spent on 3 years worth of gifts for me, plus our double stroller (a used bumbleride). Just sayin' Wink

More than was spent on anything past my engagement ring plus ALL our strollers combined Tongue Out

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Apr 24 2012, 9:20 pm
Peanut2 wrote:
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I don't believe it's legal to skip the tax just to buy from a friend. It is legal in many states to buy online from stores that don't operate in your state and forgo taxes that way.

To be dlkz, I think the idea is to subtract the tax from the actual purchase and still pay tax. So say I buy something and have to pay $80 in tax, the seller will subtract $80 from the cost of purchase, ie my stroller is now $920 instead of $1000. Then taxes are added and it ends up costing the same as without tax.

So does that tax percent work off the amount paid or the amount it should have been.
Say a $100 stroller should be $106.
You pay $100. I keep $94 and pay $6 to the state? But if that's the case, and I only got $94, tax would be $5.64, which would mean there is an extra 36 cents floating around.

I'm in such a devil advocate mood now, sorry!

bigprincess

Post Tue, Apr 24 2012, 9:30 pm
I think it is worth to spend once on a donkey than getting a cheap stroller for every child. Many times the cheap ones break before the child outgrows it and the company won't fix it. The donkey can be used as a single as well as a double so your buying one stroller in stead of two. If I had place where to keep it I would get it.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Apr 24 2012, 9:41 pm
bigprincess wrote:
I think it is worth to spend once on a donkey than getting a cheap stroller for every child. Many times the cheap ones break before the child outgrows it and the company won't fix it. The donkey can be used as a single as well as a double so your buying one stroller in stead of two. If I had place where to keep it I would get it.

1. The Donkey is too new for people to really say it stands to the test of time.
2. A Mountain Buggy which has a great track record (I have nothing at all to do with them, but it was the epitome of an expensive double 5 years ago) is half the cost of that. You can buy a double and a single for less than this and have 2 strollers that will hold 3 kids all together. Cheaper than a Donkey and works for more kids. If you go some where and you want to bring one stroller and you think you'll use the Donkey converted to a single sometimes when the older child walks, what do you plan on doing with the extra seat? You'd end up leaving it as a double. So no benefit there.

I don't buy these arguments one bit.
My single stroller cost $150 (these days, it would be maybe $230) and it's been used for over 6 years very, very frequently and is in no worse shape.
My double stroller is cheap ($220) and doesn't push great but it's been in use for over 5 years and there is nothing wrong with it, which didn't provide me with an excuse to get a new one with bigger wheels Very Happy It is lightweight and stores compactly and is a great car stroller.
Let's say I wanted to get a double that pushed like a dream (whatever that means) and is durable and I decided to spend $800 for a Stroll Air.
That would mean for the price of a Donkey I could have all these. Are people seriously going to use their Donkeys in the car for in and out rides? Probably not. In which case they'd get a new car stroller too if they ever want to travel on vehicles.

ceo

Post Tue, Apr 24 2012, 9:48 pm
bigprincess wrote:

that's silly...there are a huge range of options between a junky $75 double stroller from wal-mart and a $1500 Bugaboo Donkey. Let's call a spade a spade, and not justify this purchase as "better quality." There are a number of high quality doubles on the market that cost significantly less.

And if she's in the market for a double, she probably already has a single, right?

I agree with with the Spring.....if you want it, you'll just have to cough it up.

Oh, and if you decide to get it, Hashem should bless you that you enjoy it for many years with many children!!

bnm

Post Tue, Apr 24 2012, 10:00 pm
esteec wrote:
The seats are not compatible with other bugaboo seats.

I have the donkey and found the bassinet a waste- I moved my baby to the seat, which reclines to 180 degrees, at 2 months! So, I think the cheapest way to do it is to get mono +additional seat +hood and see if one of the independent sellers will skip the sales tax. The woman I bought from sells baby things in her garage and was happy to discount the taxes if I would purchase from her. Also, if you want 2 different color seats (like I have blue and pink) it's the easiest way to do it. I am very happy with my purchase.

the mono includes the bassinet. they sell it in pieces even when you buy the double bassinet option. the base/frame with wheels was in a huge box with the bassinet, separate box for second seat frame and fabric, a box with the apron for the bassinet and the matching hood, and another box was just a hood since I didn't get 2 bassinets.

spring13

Post Tue, Apr 24 2012, 10:01 pm
bigprincess wrote:

You can get a stroller that converts from single to double (with a lot less effort than it takes to switch a donkey from one mode to the other!) for well under $1000. And those are really nice strollers - Britax B-Ready, Baby Jogger City Elite, the Phil and Teds inlines, several iCandy models. Once you move past that market share, it's not about function anymore.

Also, if you don't have $1500, you can't spend it. Or you can, but then you can face the consequences of credit card debt and generally living beyond your means that will most likely ensure as a result of making purchases based on what you wish you had.

Peanut2

Post Tue, Apr 24 2012, 10:28 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Peanut2 wrote:
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

So does that tax percent work off the amount paid or the amount it should have been.
Say a $100 stroller should be $106.
You pay $100. I keep $94 and pay $6 to the state? But if that's the case, and I only got $94, tax would be $5.64, which would mean there is an extra 36 cents floating around.

I'm in such a devil advocate mood now, sorry!

Nothing is floating around. The seller is giving the buyer a discount. It's a win-win, because it feels like a $6 discount, to use your example, but the seller pockets the 36 cents.

Or maybe they can pay the tax for you. But I don't know if that's okay and I don't know why they would do that, since, as you pointed out, that would be higher than with my plan.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Apr 24 2012, 10:30 pm
So then the seller really received $94.36 which would mean the state should get $5.66 instead of $5.64 Wink See the issue?

amother

Post Tue, Apr 24 2012, 11:26 pm
If someone wants to buy the donkey and has the money for it let them y does it bother u so much. Also just bec. She. Is looking for a good deal doesn't mean that she can't afford it. Also my dh spent $11,000 on my last baby present who cares? If a dh wants to buy his dw a donke y let him.

bnm

Post Tue, Apr 24 2012, 11:40 pm
hee haw...........

the Stroll Air My Duo also has seats that can face in different directions and is 1/2 the price. however you can't turn it into a single if your looking for a carriage that can do both, Cybex was going to make a double carriage that goes from single to double but they stopped the project 'due to the economy' Orbit just came out with their version of a single going to double, one in front of the other also but they added on another 2 wheels so that might be a decent push.

so to make a list of carriages that go from single to double:
Britax B ready
Uppababy Vista
Phil and Ted- they have a few different models
City Select
Baby Jogger City Elite with an added jump seat
ABC Buggy with added jump seat (has ability to go from double to quad)
Valco Trimode with added jump seat
Bugaboo Donkey
and then there is that seat that was being advertised a few years ago that you attach to the side of umbrella type of carriages

spring13

Post Wed, Apr 25 2012, 12:45 am
bnm wrote:
hee haw...........

the Stroll Air My Duo also has seats that can face in different directions and is 1/2 the price. however you can't turn it into a single if your looking for a carriage that can do both, Cybex was going to make a double carriage that goes from single to double but they stopped the project 'due to the economy' Orbit just came out with their version of a single going to double, one in front of the other also but they added on another 2 wheels so that might be a decent push.

so to make a list of carriages that go from single to double:
Britax B ready
Uppababy Vista
Phil and Ted- they have a few different models
City Select
Baby Jogger City Elite with an added jump seat
ABC Buggy with added jump seat (has ability to go from double to quad)
Valco Trimode with added jump seat
Bugaboo Donkey
and then there is that seat that was being advertised a few years ago that you attach to the side of umbrella type of carriages

Also:

Baby Jogger City Select
iCandy Pear
iCandy Peach
Mountain Buggy +1
Mutsy 4Rider
Strider Plus

spring13

Post Wed, Apr 25 2012, 12:49 am
amother wrote:
If someone wants to buy the donkey and has the money for it let them y does it bother u so much. Also just bec. She. Is looking for a good deal doesn't mean that she can't afford it. Also my dh spent $11,000 on my last baby present who cares? If a dh wants to buy his dw a donke y let him.

the point people are trying to make is if you can afford it, baruch Hashem. and if you can't, don't sweat it. you can still buy an amazing stroller. you dont have to get the absolute top of the line poshest item on the market to have a fantastic item that suits your needs.

bluebird

Post Wed, Apr 25 2012, 1:04 am
I'm learning so much in this thread. Smile

1 car = 2 donkeys
1 house = 3 cars
1 donkey = 3 years of gifts + 1 bumbleride

Plonit purchases 1 house, 1 car, and 1 bumbleride. How many donkeys does she pay?

Ploni realizes that he has not bought Plonit any gifts for several years and wants to make it up to her, so he sells his car. How many years of gifts can he purchase?

Plonit wishes to upgrade her bumbleride to a donkey. If she sells her car, how many years of gifts can she buy along with the donkey?

(Sorry, I don't like derailing threads but I couldn't resist) Smile

Chanie

Post Wed, Apr 25 2012, 8:39 am
So much bashing on this poor woman who decided to buy an expensive stroller.
The way I see it, she decided to spend the money to buy the stroller she wants. Now that she knows shes buying it, she wants to get the best price for it. I dont think she expects to find it for 1/2 price.
I always price around on big purchases, cuz even 5% saved on $1500, is something that could be spent on something else.
That being said, I have a friend who sells bagaboos and he told me that the company has a set price, and if your caught underselling the price, you can lose the right to sell it. He often would put in a free something or discount something else ur buyng at the same time to make it worth your while.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Apr 25 2012, 9:19 am
spring13 wrote:
amother wrote:

the point people are trying to make is if you can afford it, baruch Hashem. and if you can't, don't sweat it. you can still buy an amazing stroller. you dont have to get the absolute top of the line poshest item on the market to have a fantastic item that suits your needs.
RIght. I think we went off on these tangents because it was asking for a deal, which means someone was looking to save. And I took issue with all the justifying that one should spend this money for comfort or functionality. If you have the money and want it: fine. If you are looking to save but still want something comfortable and/or has similar options (reversible seats, for example) there are other options, and you don't HAVE to shell out the money for a Donkey.

I hate that name btw.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Apr 25 2012, 9:21 am
bluebird wrote:
I'm learning so much in this thread. Smile

1 car = 2 donkeys
1 house = 3 cars
1 donkey = 3 years of gifts + 1 bumbleride

Plonit purchases 1 house, 1 car, and 1 bumbleride. How many donkeys does she pay?

Ploni realizes that he has not bought Plonit any gifts for several years and wants to make it up to her, so he sells his car. How many years of gifts can he purchase?

Plonit wishes to upgrade her bumbleride to a donkey. If she sells her car, how many years of gifts can she buy along with the donkey?

(Sorry, I don't like derailing threads but I couldn't resist) Smile
You forgot to ask the questions regarding tax and where it's deducted from if you buy 1 car and 2 donkeys from your neighbor's garage and barn. Tongue Out

spring13

Post Wed, Apr 25 2012, 9:31 am
Chanie wrote:
So much bashing on this poor woman who decided to buy an expensive stroller.
The way I see it, she decided to spend the money to buy the stroller she wants. Now that she knows shes buying it, she wants to get the best price for it. I dont think she expects to find it for 1/2 price.
I always price around on big purchases, cuz even 5% saved on $1500, is something that could be spent on something else.
That being said, I have a friend who sells bagaboos and he told me that the company has a set price, and if your caught underselling the price, you can lose the right to sell it. He often would put in a free something or discount something else ur buyng at the same time to make it worth your while.

I want a Subaru Outback. But even with all the bargain hunting I can do, buying used and financing and whatever, I still won't have the money for it right now. So I won't get one. It's very simple. I can afford a bike though.

People shouldn't be spending beyond their means: this is a huge issue in the frum community. Rather than looking to find a deal on the poshest stroller pretty much ever, people should be learning to be realistic about what they actually need and can actually afford. Looking to save money on the poshest stroller ever comes across as the worst possible stereotype about penny pinching Jews. Because even with 20% off, a donkey still costs more than any other stroller.
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics