Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Strollers
Bugaboo donkey deal?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

ceo

Post Wed, Apr 25 2012, 10:52 am
Chanie wrote:
So much bashing on this poor woman who decided to buy an expensive stroller.

What does she expect on this forum? Everyone else eats rice and beans so they can pay full tuition!

Just kidding.

No seriously, I think the problem is that if you want to put your money towards something else, then get a nice double stroller for less than a thousand.... and put the extra money away to buy custom crib bedding or something...... shock
But if you want a Bugaboo Donkey, just buy it. Does it really make a difference if you spend $1350 or $1500? If it does, then just get a Stroll-Air or Mountain Buggy or another high end item that's significantly less expensive.

lamplighter

Post Wed, Apr 25 2012, 11:06 am
I think y'all are being mean and judgmental.
Who ever said she can't afford it?
Maybe she can afford it or someone is buying her a gift , I think it is COMMENDABLE, that even as she buys a big ticket item (for whatever reason-her business) she looks for the best price.
A mindset like that is a very financially healthy. She wants something, has use and nachas benefits from it, she can afford it and now wants to get the best price for her purchase.
We do it for diapers, we do it for groceries, we do it for all our purchases and this happens to be one of hers.

Why does it bother everyone so much???? You think she should do better things with her money, like buy more strollers or cars or houses??? who's to say she doesn't already own those? who's to say what she needs or doesn't need.

Frankly this is all none of your business. Either answer the question or don't but don't give your personal opinion on her spendings.

What is it with us jews and sticking our noses in people's wallets. Are we that insecure???

amother

Post Wed, Apr 25 2012, 11:07 am
I'm gona post a reply here with my POV

I'm b'h expecting twins, after several years of infertility.

I DO NOT like any of those bulky double strollers out there..

I DO like the Maclaren double a lot but DH doesnt go for it. Next option is the Donkey.

HY, do you grant me the permission to splurge?

Oh, and we have no car... we don't need it. So technically, can we put the $$ we'd spend on a car towards the Donkey? ;-)

OP, if you find a good deal, please do let us know!!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Apr 25 2012, 11:25 am
Do people really read my posts as if I was giving permission or not? I really don't care how people spend their money if they can afford it.
I started posting when I took issue with the fact that one needs to spend this money to invest in comfort. I wanted to make people aware that 1)unlike an investment that returns you something, this is a splurge, not an investment and will not give you back a greater value than you put in 2)if you want comfort/functionality you can spend money on it, but you don't have to spend THIS money on it
If you can afford it, go ahead. I have no issues with it, just don't justify it as a need to spend money because surely it's not.

I'm not exactly sure why you think the Donkey is less bulky than any other doubles, but sure, buy it if you WANT and CAN AFFORD it. But please don't pretend it's a need as some posts were.

To reiterate: I have no concern about how people spend the money they have. I do have a big societal issue with a blurred distinction of want vs need. That's part of the reason this economy is so bad. If you can't afford a want, lower your expectations, because it's surely no need.

B'shaah Tova!

Chanie

Post Wed, Apr 25 2012, 11:32 am
Dont want to be steriotypical, but dont we Jews look for bargains? Why cant you look to save when u are buying a luxery? If u can by the same thing for cheaper, wouldnt you?
I like the best that I can afford but want to try and save while doing it. I understand her.

mizle10

Post Wed, Apr 25 2012, 11:44 am
spring13 wrote:
Chanie wrote:
So much bashing on this poor woman who decided to buy an expensive stroller.
The way I see it, she decided to spend the money to buy the stroller she wants. Now that she knows shes buying it, she wants to get the best price for it. I dont think she expects to find it for 1/2 price.
I always price around on big purchases, cuz even 5% saved on $1500, is something that could be spent on something else.
That being said, I have a friend who sells bagaboos and he told me that the company has a set price, and if your caught underselling the price, you can lose the right to sell it. He often would put in a free something or discount something else ur buyng at the same time to make it worth your while.

I want a Subaru Outback. But even with all the bargain hunting I can do, buying used and financing and whatever, I still won't have the money for it right now. So I won't get one. It's very simple. I can afford a bike though.

People shouldn't be spending beyond their means: this is a huge issue in the frum community. Rather than looking to find a deal on the poshest stroller pretty much ever, people should be learning to be realistic about what they actually need and can actually afford. Looking to save money on the poshest stroller ever comes across as the worst possible stereotype about penny pinching Jews. Because even with 20% off, a donkey still costs more than any other stroller.
Who says it's beyond her means? Bh I can deffenitly afford an old navy t-shirt for 4.99$ for my DD, but I'll still look online for a 5% off coupon, cuz why not save if you can?? This lady is buying a donkey. She wants to know where to get the best deal. If you go to the cheapest store for apples do you expect people to tell you not to buy apples? Obviously if you can't buy apples in a more expensive store they're beyond your means.

spring13

Post Wed, Apr 25 2012, 1:05 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Do people really read my posts as if I was giving permission or not? I really don't care how people spend their money if they can afford it.
I started posting when I took issue with the fact that one needs to spend this money to invest in comfort. I wanted to make people aware that 1)unlike an investment that returns you something, this is a splurge, not an investment and will not give you back a greater value than you put in 2)if you want comfort/functionality you can spend money on it, but you don't have to spend THIS money on it
If you can afford it, go ahead. I have no issues with it, just don't justify it as a need to spend money because surely it's not.

I'm not exactly sure why you think the Donkey is less bulky than any other doubles, but sure, buy it if you WANT and CAN AFFORD it. But please don't pretend it's a need as some posts were.

To reiterate: I have no concern about how people spend the money they have. I do have a big societal issue with a blurred distinction of want vs need. That's part of the reason this economy is so bad. If you can't afford a want, lower your expectations, because it's surely no need.

B'shaah Tova!

Yup, that's it. Of course people are entitled to spend their money as they see fit. But misplaced priorities - being desperate to get a Donkey as if there are no other options, regardless of your ability to afford it - are misplaced priorities. If you see a high end item as being a need rather than a want, then you should be prepared to spend what it costs. If saving $50 or $100 matters a lot to you, then why not save $600 and get a different but still high-end stroller?

And yeah, there's a massive world of double strollers between Maclaren umbrella strollers and Bugaboos. If you want it and can afford it, gezunterheit - but don't pretend it's the only option.

amother

Post Wed, Apr 25 2012, 1:13 pm
[quote="spring13it's a need as some posts were.

And yeah, there's a massive world of double strollers between Maclaren umbrella strollers and Bugaboos. If you want it and can afford it, gezunterheit - but don't pretend it's the only option.[/quote]

Ma'am.. its the only option for ME!!! Did I ask you to contribute to the purchase?

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Apr 25 2012, 1:26 pm
amother wrote:
I'm gona post a reply here with my POV

I'm b'h expecting twins, after several years of infertility.

I DO NOT like any of those bulky double strollers out there..

I DO like the Maclaren double a lot but DH doesnt go for it. Next option is the Donkey.

HY, do you grant me the permission to splurge?

Oh, and we have no car... we don't need it. So technically, can we put the $$ we'd spend on a car towards the Donkey? ;-)

OP, if you find a good deal, please do let us know!!

Bshaa tova! Enjoy your double bracha!

IMO, the donkey is actually quite bulky. If you're looking for a higher-end double that is more compact, I would recommend the Mountain Buggy duet. You can get 2 bassinets or use a car seat adaptor, and it is no wider than the single! Their strollers are really good quality and comfortable to push.

spring13

Post Wed, Apr 25 2012, 1:31 pm
amother wrote:
[quote="spring13it's a need as some posts were.

And yeah, there's a massive world of double strollers between Maclaren umbrella strollers and Bugaboos. If you want it and can afford it, gezunterheit - but don't pretend it's the only option.

Ma'am.. its the only option for ME!!! Did I ask you to contribute to the purchase?[/quote]

Missing the point, but for like the 80t time, if you have the money, please spend it. If you don't, shop around some more.

amother

Post Wed, Apr 25 2012, 2:15 pm
Try brooklyn baby world...they gave us an excellent price when I had my twins!

chevron

Post Wed, Apr 25 2012, 2:28 pm
lamplighter wrote:
Maybe she can afford it or someone is buying her a gift , I think it is COMMENDABLE, that even as she buys a big ticket item (for whatever reason-her business) she looks for the best price.
A mindset like that is a very financially healthy. She wants something, has use and nachas benefits from it, she can afford it and now wants to get the best price for her purchase.
We do it for diapers, we do it for groceries, we do it for all our purchases and this happens to be one of hers.

Why does it bother everyone so much???? You think she should do better things with her money, like buy more strollers or cars or houses??? who's to say she doesn't already own those? who's to say what she needs or doesn't need.

Frankly this is all none of your business. Either answer the question or don't but don't give your personal opinion on her spendings.

What is it with us jews and sticking our noses in people's wallets. Are we that insecure???

Exactly ! A lot of what people said here is true and nice but don't you see? She wants the donkey, that's what she wants yup so shes looking for the best deal. Very simple and makes a lot of sense.

ewa-jo

Post Wed, Apr 25 2012, 2:39 pm
Hi OP,

I looove the Donkey and I hope you and your babies enjoy it. I don't have one, but if my double stroller died and I had a few bucks, I would get a Donkey too I saw a friend's Donkey stroller and it pushed very smoothly and it looked very nice.

Smile

turca

Post Wed, Apr 25 2012, 2:56 pm
lamplighter wrote:

this is the best post in this thread.

some people here must be really bored.... they claim they dont care how someone spends her money but they write 5+ posts ....interestinng

spring13

Post Wed, Apr 25 2012, 3:15 pm
Since when is "if you want it, you should have it" a Jewish ideal? None of you have a problem with living beyond one's means? Even with a 20% discount, which you will never get on a donkey, you're still spending $300-400 more than the next most expensive stroller. If saving $50 is important, isn't saving $600 more important?

If you're convinced that a luxury item is the only one you can live with, then own up to your priorities and spend with gusto. Don't act like being frugal is an important value to you.

kb

Post Wed, Apr 25 2012, 3:28 pm
Maybe and maybe not. But
a) why is that your business? and
b) if you care so much about how much OP spends, don't you think that it's better to save $50 than none? and c) I'm trying to figure out why people are getting so worked up about this. It might not be a Jewish concept to spend that much money on a stroller, but 'bderech sheadam rotze leleich' is. So let her do what she wants and spend what she wants and push the stroller she wants. She asked for advice. If you have it, good. If you don't have it, you don't. You don't have to bash her for wanting that stroller. It's not like she's saying 'what, you push a what type of stroller? How passé!'

OP, what is the price you've been quoted so far?
Imamothers, imagine OP had said that she's looking for the best price out there for the Mountain Buggy double stroller, and she's buying it for her sister in law as a baby gift, so it has to be brand new. Where can she look to get the best price around?

chevron

Post Wed, Apr 25 2012, 3:28 pm
spring13 wrote:
Since when is "if you want it, you should have it" a Jewish ideal? None of you have a problem with living beyond one's means? Even with a 20% discount, which you will never get on a donkey, you're still spending $300-400 more than the next most expensive stroller. If saving $50 is important, isn't saving $600 more important?

If you're convinced that a luxury item is the only one you can live with, then own up to your priorities and spend with gusto. Don't act like being frugal is an important value to you.

Everyone loves iitems that they love (maybe a donkey) and they love their money too so they can get more things they love so they try to get the best of both that's all.

bnm

Post Wed, Apr 25 2012, 6:33 pm
HEE HAW HEE HAW

sorry, couldn't resist!

spring13

Post Wed, Apr 25 2012, 6:51 pm
chevron wrote:
spring13 wrote:

Everyone loves iitems that they love (maybe a donkey) and they love their money too so they can get more things they love so they try to get the best of both that's all.

Re: the italicized. Seriously? Seriously?

GreenEyes26

Post Wed, Apr 25 2012, 6:56 pm
spring13 wrote:
chevron wrote:
spring13 wrote:

Re: the italicized. Seriously? Seriously?

Seriously, Spring, get over yourself. The OP just wanted to know where she could get a good deal on a Bugaboo. She didn't ask for it for free. Or for a 20% off coupon. Or for some illegal shady business. She just wants to know where she can get the best price.

I really don't understand why this is bothering you so much. Before R'H my DH and I decided to get me a really nice piece of jewelry. So we traveled several hours to Lakewood so get the best price, even though our budget was very generous. So because I was willing to spend almost $xx on jewelry for R'H means that I can't shop around for a good deal? "Frugality isn't a value to me" because I have money to spend? You make no sense. There is a difference between wanting to purchase something expensive - for whatever reason - at a good price, and reckless spending. Someone who wants to buy a Bugaboo ins't necessarily someone who throws her money willy-nilly.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics