Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays
Got Your New Clothing/Jewelry Yet?
  Previous  1  2  3   11  12  13  Next

Motek

Post Fri, Apr 15 2005, 11:28 am
ForeverYoung wrote:
what a nice thread for all those who can't afford it
(see the who picked your jewelry thread 4 references)

I'd love to know what your point was. Please explain.

note: nobody was asked to say what they bought or what they spent

note: what I quoted is a halacha - how would you have preferred that this halacha be brought to our attention?

rydys

Post Fri, Apr 15 2005, 11:55 am
I don't think the halacha means that if a woman doesn't want to buy anything new her husband has to force it on her. I think it means that if she wants something new he should buy it for her.

Also, my understanding is that this is not a halacha like eating milk and meat. It is more of an explanation of what it means to enjoy Yom Tov. If a man can't afford to buy meat and wine, he is still yotzei the mitzva of seudas yom tov. Similarly, if he cannot afford to buy his wife a new dress she can still be yotzei the mitzva of simchas yom tov in othe ways.

Tefila

Post Fri, Apr 15 2005, 11:58 am
And new can mean anything as one poster said socks it doesn't have to be an outfit or cost a certain amount. This thread is different then the Jewllery one b/c size, color and how often was brought there, it turned into a comparison one, this one is not!

Motek

Post Fri, Apr 15 2005, 12:00 pm
well, as FY has urged us many times: any questions? - ask a rav!

since the Rambam included this as a halacha, not as good marriage advice, maybe it isn't up to us to decide whether it applies to us or not

let's say a man or woman would prefer a sefer/book to the things Rambam says? I dunno. Ask .... a ...... rav. Smile

ilvmommyhood

Post Fri, Apr 15 2005, 1:09 pm
I think what fy was saying is that not everyone can afford something new- not even socks. Guess what- Pesach is expensive. Matzah, wine, yom tov meals. than you have second days. Your kids are home the whole week. Oh and don't forget the cost of cleaning for pesach, all the foil, sink inserts, top covering for your counters, knives, pealers, pots, pans (the foil ones aren't even inexpensive if you are outside of ny). I about died when I found out what a sink insert would cost me this year! So sometimes- socks are not even in the budget. Everyone has different financial levels here. Should we make those who can't afford to feel like a bad yid? Thats a shanda! I would rather food on the table than a piece of jewlery or a new outfit. For some- thats a choice they have to honestly make.

Tefila

Post Fri, Apr 15 2005, 5:51 pm
Hey, hey noone has to feel bad if they didn't buy something new this was just a thread not on someones whim, but on an Halacha. If someone can't afford it then I'm sure they're excused.... noone has to feel bad!

sarahd

Post Sat, Apr 16 2005, 5:14 pm
I must confess that I don't see the point of the thread. I see two possibilities here: either you already knew what the Rambam says or you didn't. If you knew, then either you bought/will buy something or you can't afford to so you won't but you might feel a twinge of envy reading about what others have. If you didn't know, then you might now go to your husband and ask for something, he might be finding himself under financial pressure because of Pesach expenses, and it can become a shlom bayis issue.

In either case, what's to be gained from the discussion?

lucy

Post Sat, Apr 16 2005, 9:45 pm
In almost any thread one can have a twing of jealousy. A happy marriage, healthy children, one experience pregnancy, having a job/not wanting to go to work & being able to stay home, being able to nurse, even talking about what stroller they have!

So I really think that it's perhaps enough. This is a website and if you don't want to read something then guess what DON"T READ IT!
I may be sounding obnoxious, but if a person is simply just stating a halacha then what is the problem? We're all busy with preparations for pesach cleaning ect. so let us be a little self centered and take a moment to do something special for ourselves lekoved Yom Tov. & for those of you who cannot afford: take a 15 min. walk outside by yourself and enjoy the weather!

timeout

Post Sat, Apr 16 2005, 10:54 pm
Well since this discussion is already 2 pages I have to say I got 2 NEW SNOODS for Yom Tov and would love to get a robe before I leave LOL

deedee

Post Sat, Apr 16 2005, 10:57 pm
I would love to get a robe too but they are so expensive!!!!! Confused

ForeverYoung

Post Sat, Apr 16 2005, 11:51 pm
Quote:
n almost any thread one can have a twing of jealousy. A happy marriage, healthy children, one experience pregnancy, having a job/not wanting to go to work & being able to stay home, being able to nurse, even talking about what stroller they have!

there is a big difference in sharing a positive experience in order to help another (ie xyz worked 4 me) - and just showing off.

Quote:
what I quoted is a halacha - how would you have preferred that this halacha be brought to our attention?

If you will do a pole, I'm sure over 90% of women did not become members of "halacha of the day shiur", but of a sharing website for Jewish women.

Besides, u didn't write: just in case u were not aware, ...
you wrote:
Quote:
did you buy clothes and jewelry yet?

If the amount of tzedaka requests we get in the mail any indicator, unfortunately there are way too many women who won't get anything at all.

Motek

Post Sun, Apr 17 2005, 10:16 am
apparently you didn't know about this thread:

http://www.imamother.com/forum.....t=674

we'll expect to see you and sarahd bash this thread too, since it doesn't meet your approval

or maybe it's not the topic of the thread that's bothering you, but who started it ...

Tefila

Post Sun, Apr 17 2005, 12:34 pm
Quote:
So I really think that it's perhaps enough. This is a website and if you don't want to read something then guess what DON"T READ IT!
I may be sounding obnoxious, but if a person is simply just stating a halacha then what is the problem? We're all busy with preparations for pesach cleaning ect. so let us be a little self centered and take a moment to do something special for ourselves lekoved Yom Tov. & for those of you who cannot afford: take a 15 min. walk outside by yourself and enjoy the weather!

Lucy LOL
It does sound obnoxious !
And yes you have a point totaly!
Also there is a commandment not to be Jealous not just a concept. , and be happy for those that can afford something.
Though I still feel like running away for aday or two, but how about after Pesach Twisted Evil Lucy can I come to u?

1stimer

Post Sun, Apr 17 2005, 12:40 pm
ForeverYoung wrote:
what a nice thread for all those who can't afford it
(see the who picked your jewelry thread 4 references)

It says that he who can't afford it should buy his wife a pair of shoes ... obviously not referring to the shoe shops nowadays...!!! Twisted Evil

ooops... hope this won't offend any1 4 being of the topic Exploding anger

Motek

Post Sun, Apr 17 2005, 12:40 pm
nah, she's not being obnoxious, just stating the obvious in a sensible way

for those who feel angst about other's achievements and acquisitions, make sure NOT TO READ the "How Much Have You Done" in the Housekeeping section!

sarahd

Post Sun, Apr 17 2005, 4:11 pm
Motek wrote:

we'll expect to see you and sarahd bash this thread too, since it doesn't meet your approval

or maybe it's not the topic of the thread that's bothering you, but who started it ...

What's the matter with a Mitzvah A Day thread? Confused shock

My guess is that you're referring to the Jewelry thread. Firstly, that thread was not entitled "How much jewelry did you get?". Secondly, since that thread received negative feedback, it might have been a good idea to avoid starting a new thread in the same veîn.

timeout

Post Sun, Apr 17 2005, 4:20 pm
Just a thought but I think some people enjoy the fight more than the thread itself, personally a little drama is always fun to watch. Twisted Evil

ForeverYoung

Post Sun, Apr 17 2005, 5:47 pm
Motek wrote:

that thread didn;t as anybody about what they purchased, and the title is pretty informative too, tells me exactly what I will read there/

You said:

Quote:
how would you have preferred that this halacha be brought to our attention?

and you entitled your thread:
Quote:
Got Your New Clothing/Jewelry Yet?

as apposed to "Hilchos of mesameach a woman on YomTov."

Motek

Post Sun, Apr 17 2005, 6:07 pm
Quote:
What's the matter with a Mitzvah A Day thread?

FY made it very clear. She said: "If you will do a pole, I'm sure over 90% of women did not become members of "halacha of the day shiur", but of a sharing website for Jewish women."

Apparently she disapproves of threads on halacha (although, strange, she has participated in many such threads without complaining or referring to a "pole" before)

Quote:
Secondly, since that thread received negative feedback, it might have been a good idea to avoid starting a new thread in the same veîn.

Excuse me sarahd, but I didn't even consider the jewelry thread when I posted this thread. This thread is about a halacha that relates to Simchas Yom Tov and relates to women.

I fail to see why you have a problem with this thread, but as Lucy wisely suggested - don't read it if you don't like it. I am finding it exceedingly unpleasant to have you go on and on about a thread that you don't like. You like to point out when you think a topic has gone on long enough. How about this one?

To repeat for those who chose to ignore it the first time: nobody was asked what they bought or how much they spent.

Frankly, I am highly skeptical that entitling this thread any differently, with the same contents, would have pleased you FY.

ForeverYoung

Post Sun, Apr 17 2005, 6:18 pm
Quote:
Frankly, I am highly skeptical that entitling this thread any differently, with the same contents, would have pleased you FY

it would have pleased me if you said: Just wanted to mshare a halacha & did not ask who got what.

I might have pointed out that most people prob. know anyways.

and this is part of the reason I'm annoyed - do u really think people who bother making yom tov do not know about this?

PS do not put my words & opinions into Sarad's mouse, pls

Quote:
although, strange, she has participated in many such threads without complaining or referring to a "pole" before

atttitude matters: the question & how it's asked.
Page 2 of 13   Previous  1  2  3   11  12  13  Next Recent Topics