Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Going Gluten Free – A few Questions
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Thu, May 03 2012, 3:08 am
Sorry- don't have the oat rolls recipe, but just wanted to say that Trader Joe's is a great place to stock up on gf food sometimes. I like their prices a lot and there's one in downtown brooklyn. Their snickerdoodles are really good. They also sell Udis bread and stuff for cheaper then the bp prices, but it might not be worth the few dollars to shlep all the way there.
Also, I never actually tried this recipe yet, but I've been saving it... it looks incredible:
http://chocolatecoveredkatie.c.....-pie/

saw50st8

Post Thu, May 03 2012, 6:08 am
I'm in NJ, so getting to Trader Joe's is pretty easy. Maybe I will go this sunday.

curlgirl

Post Thu, May 03 2012, 6:33 am
amother wrote:
Also, I never actually tried this recipe yet, but I've been saving it... it looks incredible:
http://chocolatecoveredkatie.c.....-pie/

I've made it and it's amazing!!!

cbsmommy

Post Thu, May 03 2012, 3:10 pm
TJs = cheap place to get many gf goodies.

I was going to post my challah roll recipe, but apparently I'm a tease b/c my daughter just ran in screaming that she broke the Elmo DVD.

cbsmommy

Post Thu, May 03 2012, 3:56 pm
Ok, let's see how long I have to post this time.7

For bread, I like the recipe for millet-oat bread from glutenfreemommy.com

Also, I like the blog crockpot365.blogspot.com. Stephanie had a new years resolution to use her crockpot every day. she did, and her daughter has celiac and the recipes are all gluten free. Plus she posts pics of the ingredients and has a pork allergy, so lots of budget friendly, not to time-consuming recipes there.

And apparently my time is up. more later.

studying_torah

Post Mon, Jun 11 2012, 5:06 pm
I Know this is from awhile ago, but I need help- my gluten tests come up fine, but I see that eating any kind of grain or dairy really hurts my stomach, and bloats me- even rice.
So I'm going to try going grain and dairy free- but help! I love pasta and bread, crackers, etc.
What on earth do I eat for breakfast if not cereal or lunch- if not a sandwich?! I don't really have koyach to cook myself food for breakfast and lunch every day. Also, what kind of side dishes do I make for supper?
I don't have time or koyach to make myself GF bread w/ all kinds of fancy ingredients, nor do I think I 'll like it.
Please help w/ ideas/recipes.

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Jun 11 2012, 5:56 pm
studying_torah wrote:
I Know this is from awhile ago, but I need help- my gluten tests come up fine, but I see that eating any kind of grain or dairy really hurts my stomach, and bloats me- even rice.
So I'm going to try going grain and dairy free- but help! I love pasta and bread, crackers, etc.
What on earth do I eat for breakfast if not cereal or lunch- if not a sandwich?! I don't really have koyach to cook myself food for breakfast and lunch every day. Also, what kind of side dishes do I make for supper?
I don't have time or koyach to make myself GF bread w/ all kinds of fancy ingredients, nor do I think I 'll like it.
Please help w/ ideas/recipes.

check out digestivewellness.com. you can buy bread, cakes, cookies, etc. from there. it definitely saves time.

studying_torah

Post Mon, Jun 11 2012, 8:25 pm
thanks mummidearest! any idea on taste/quality? also they seem awfully expensive- or is that the norm for this kind of product?
I'm having sticker shock!
shock

sar

Post Mon, Jun 11 2012, 8:32 pm
omg studying- I am going through the SAME thing right now! Cant deal w the bloating and that I need to have 2 sets of clothing for when nothing fits!! Iv been eating kosher for pesach potatoe blintzes, eggs, and turkey for..well.. its been potatoe season for a while!!!! stringbeans (cooked) and cooked fruit r also gentle on the tummy..

saw50st8

Post Tue, Jun 12 2012, 5:52 am
So I have not gone totally GF yet. I keep meaning to but then things come up - shabbat lunch invitations, Shavuot, challah...I just lack motivation. We don't eat a lot of gluten, but I know I should be gf.

I don't mind a bit of bloating compared to a good danish. Its a problem.

studying_torah

Post Tue, Jun 12 2012, 9:21 am
I wouldn't mind it either but its also cramps....
However, yesterday I was pretty careful (except for a few multi grain chips) and I was still bloated w/ a bad tummy ache Sad
dunno what to eat a/more!

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Jun 12 2012, 9:27 am
studying_torah wrote:
thanks mummidearest! any idea on taste/quality? also they seem awfully expensive- or is that the norm for this kind of product?
I'm having sticker shock!
shock

I buy their products and like most of them. it is expensive, but pretty reasonable for the ingredients. I also buy almond flour from them in bulk. I used to bake my own stuff to avoid the cost, but I don't have as much time anymore. when I order I make sure to buy a lot, and that way I save money on shipping. I also try to buy whatever bulk deals they have if I know I'll use the product.
(that's mostly for sauces and some cookies.)

btw, these products are stricter in terms of ingredients than just gluten free/dairy free. these are complex carb free, so yes, they are more expensive than items that are just gluten free.

I think you can arrange a pickup if you don't want to pay shipping, which is quite a lot.

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Jun 12 2012, 9:29 am
studying_torah wrote:
I wouldn't mind it either but its also cramps....
However, yesterday I was pretty careful (except for a few multi grain chips) and I was still bloated w/ a bad tummy ache Sad
dunno what to eat a/more!

you may want to read the following book:

http://www.amazon.com/Breaking.....r=1-1

this diet works for me. there are a number of imamother members who are on it. feel free to ask questions if you are interested.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen