Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Really?!?!?! $123 For A Little Boy's Sweater?!?!?!
Previous  1  2

shev

Post Thu, Jul 19 2012, 6:56 am
Raisin wrote:
thats really bad business. Davka shops want to get you to come into the the shop, even if you think you won't buy anything, even if they know that only 50% of the people who come in will buy stuff.

I think what is NOT ok is going to your local electronics store, spending a long time engaging the sales staff in what is the best camera or tablet and trying them out, and then going and buying it on amazon.

You're allowed to go into a store, but you shouldn't start asking prices of things if you know for sure you're not going to buy it. If there is a chance, if the price is good... that you'll buy it, you're allowed to ask the price.
The halacha is only if you know FOR SURE that you won't buy it.
for exa. if you just bought s/t in a store and you pass another store that has that item, you're not allowed to go in and ask the price of it, to see for youreself if you paid a good price. Because you know that you're not going to bu it

Raisin

Post Thu, Jul 19 2012, 7:09 am
to prove I am right, stores often sell "loss leaders" - items they are selling for less then they bought them for, just to bring people into the shop.

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Jul 19 2012, 9:10 am
DrMom wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:
mummiedearest wrote:
gp2.0 wrote:
amother wrote:
[quote="amother]. For the fun of it, I asked for the price of a little boys' cardigan.

If u do not intent to buy something u are not allowed to ask a price

Source?

there is a halacha my father taught me (forget the source, but he told it to me right after he read it in a sefer) that one may not enter a small store with no intention of buying if it is likely the proprietor will see one enter UNLESS one says upon entering, "I'm just browsing" or some similar sentiment. basically, don't get a small business owner's hopes up if you don't intend to buy. you can say, "completely out of curiosity, how much is that sweater?"

I can ask my father for the source.
I don't think it's stam halacha, especially not when it comes to a facebook based biz.

For me (as well as for most non-wealthy people) price is one of the factors that determines intent to buy. So how does this work?

Are you allowed to ask, "I may be interested in purchasing this, if the price is right. How much is it?" Or is that not allowed?

you are looking to buy an item. afaik, that's not a problem. what is a problem is going into a store to browse with absolutely no intention of buying.

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Jul 19 2012, 9:12 am
Raisin wrote:
to prove I am right, stores often sell "loss leaders" - items they are selling for less then they bought them for, just to bring people into the shop.

sure. and I do like to browse for the fun of it. I am in the habit of telling the store owner "I'm just looking."

there are a lot of 99 cent stores around here, and it's just fun to look. the cashiers are all right at the door so they can see you come in, so I let them know that I don't plan to buy anything.

chocolate chips

Post Thu, Jul 19 2012, 11:08 am
If someone on facebook thought that every person who asks a price would buy, they are naive.

Sometimes I see something nice, I want even though I might not necessarily need, so I ask the price to see if I should even think about it. Sometimes I would go for it and other times not.

And just btw, is there a pumpkin patch in america?? Used to LOVE that store in UK, bought everything on sale there for pennies, for my siblings!

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Jul 19 2012, 11:23 am
chocolate chips wrote:
If someone on facebook thought that every person who asks a price would buy, they are naive.

Sometimes I see something nice, I want even though I might not necessarily need, so I ask the price to see if I should even think about it. Sometimes I would go for it and other times not.

And just btw, is there a pumpkin patch in america?? Used to LOVE that store in UK, bought everything on sale there for pennies, for my siblings!

true, you can't expect everyone to buy. but I do know ppl who get upset when ppl post "how much?" on fb and then don't bother responding. if it's too expensive, let the business owner know that that is why you will not buy it. fb comes with a whole different set of rules, I think.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 19 2012, 11:35 am
as a born & bred BP girl where prices for childrens clothes (among other things) are sky rocketing I am not shocked. My SIL spends $700 a season in Jacadi for her 5 & 3 year old & lives in a tiny 1 bdrm apartment. Her priorities are different than mine.This same phenomenon exists in Yidisha communities like Monroe, Williamsburg, Monsey & Flatbush where you see ppl that survive on govt program prance the streets with $1,200 Bugaboos & expensive smartphones. It is beyond me but I have come to learn how to accept the mentality. My SIL once explained that she spend $100 per Shabbos outfit but they have ONE for the entire winter & she claims the quality doesnt compare to my Childrens Place junkie $10 outfits. Truth is my only issue is when these families turn to the community for tzedakah once they start marrying off & I, who rents a house & spends less than $200 for full wardrobe for my3 kids has to help & support their lavish lifestyle. DH says Im wrong...

I always say that if & when we do have money I will shop like crazy for the kids. I love the look of very well dressed kids...maybe cuz I never got anything new as a kid... Confused

amother

Post Thu, Jul 19 2012, 11:43 am
OP, to answer your question, yes, I have spent that much on clothes for my kids before. the money DH and I earn, has been earned through many years of hard work. We give Tzedaka, put away money to save responsibly for our kids' educations, and pay our mortgage every month. With what we have "left over" - yes, I will go shopping for myself or my DH/kids, and not look twice at a price tag in triple digits, for shoes, sweaters, or whatever. I also buy tons of clothes at target, because I love how convenient it is. so I mix and match, I dont buy things "for" the name, but I also don't really care if I pay $19.99 for a Mossimo dress for myself, or $1,999 for a Gucci one, its whichever one looks better, is more comfortable, and I think I'll get more use out of. Its not about the brand name.

amother
White

Post Thu, Jul 19 2012, 1:59 pm
I have one question: At what age do kids know how much their clothes cost?

Last edited by amother on Wed, Jan 06 2016, 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

self-actualization

Post Thu, Jul 19 2012, 4:05 pm
$1900 Gucci dress - ouch! I always think that even if I become rich one day, I would never spend that kind of money on a dress, because my clothing has a tendency to (a) become dirty beyond dry cleaning, (b) shrink at the cleaners, (c) get lost at the cleaners, (d) rip, or (e) go out of style. I don't think I have more than a handful of items in my closet that are more than 5 years old. I'm always glad that my outfits cost around $100 all-in (shell, top, skirt, stockings, accessories Smile) so that in case something gets ruined it's ok.

ntm1

Post Thu, Jul 19 2012, 8:48 pm
OPINIONATED wrote:
I have one question: At what age do kids know how much their clothes cost?

Here in flatbush, at a very young age!!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics