Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
WHAT is "good" about the maternity care here?
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Wed, Aug 22 2012, 10:03 am
I've given birth in 3 different hospitals in 3 different cities here.
I asked not to have an episiotomy at each birth, and I never had one. Tore a bit, needed some stiches, no big deal.
I asked not to use epidural, and I didn't.
I actually wanted to lie down (or writhe in bed) during labor, so I didn't fight them about that.
In 2 hospitals, the babies roomed with me full time, no problem. In one hospital, first birth, baby was with me most of the time.
I have to run - one of those 'babies' is calling me - more later.

dr.wigs

Post Wed, Aug 22 2012, 10:22 am
I just had a baby about a month ago in israel and I had a horrible time after the birth with the stay, but I have to give the hospital credit for my labor, they gave me a mid wife who I had a bad feeling about and I told the head midwife I didnt want her and she switched me no problem, the midwives I had after worked with me with the pushing and I needed very few stitches. (stitches isnt a rare occurrence- ur pushing a baby out!!!! have u seen its head) the mid wife worked very hard with oil to keep me from ripping and were I did rip was out of her control!!!

amother

Post Wed, Aug 22 2012, 11:21 am
sister wrote:
you learn to become self sufficient
and that home birth rocks!!!
What could be better???

hmmm, care? respect of sensitivity?
women are not meant to be traumatized into becoming unfeeling hard rocks

amother

Post Wed, Aug 22 2012, 1:22 pm
OP, I also had extremely different experiences than what you wrote. I'm really sorry you had to go through that.
I have found that a lot of olim, Americans, whatever, don't know how to navigate kupat cholim systems properly.
I have meuchedet, have never had a problem getting an appointment within the week. And I am very particular with what doctors I use-I look into them, and do not just take anyone that works for my kupah.
I was able to email my doctors and they would all respond in very timely fashions.
I gave birth all 3 times at Hadassah Ein Karem, and did rooming in. Every midwife I had for delivery was excellent! I had stitched with my first only-because I pushed when they told me not to. After my last delivery-it was the middle of the night, the midwife brought me a washing cup and water so I can wash, and she brought me a sandwich, fruits, water, etc.
At breakfast I was not feeling up to walking down the hall to get breakfast, so one of the nurses on the floor went and got some for me.
I seriously only had good experiences. I know people have bad experiences as well, but I can name you lots of cases (from close friends and family) that had bad experiences in America to. I hope that next time around you have a much better and more pleasant experience.

Inspired

Post Wed, Aug 22 2012, 2:00 pm
amother wrote:
sister wrote:
What could be better???

Care and sensitivity? Was this posted in emotional health? Did you say anything in the OP about needing hugs or sympathy?
What you describe is not overly traumatic. You spouted a bunch of negativity about birth in ISRAEL, which is inaccurate. If you are talking about your own particular birth and want help working through the issues or want to know how to have a better experience next time then say that/ ask for that.
As it is you asked a question in your OP and sister ANSWERED IT!

I myself had an extremely traumatic first birth. I don't blame it on the country as a whole but on the caregivers in the particular hospital and on myself for not being educated and vocal about my desires for my birth and my rights.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 22 2012, 2:53 pm
Inspired wrote:
amother wrote:
sister wrote:
What could be better???

Care and sensitivity? Was this posted in emotional health? Did you say anything in the OP about needing hugs or sympathy?
What you describe is not overly traumatic. You spouted a bunch of negativity about birth in ISRAEL, which is inaccurate. If you are talking about your own particular birth and want help working through the issues or want to know how to have a better experience next time then say that/ ask for that.
As it is you asked a question in your OP and sister ANSWERED IT!

I myself had an extremely traumatic first birth. I don't blame it on the country as a whole but on the caregivers in the particular hospital and on myself for not being educated and vocal about my desires for my birth and my rights.

I'm the OP. I didn't write the above amother post.

rovacat

Post Wed, Aug 22 2012, 2:54 pm
I had 3 babies in the states and my 4th I just had here. I was really nervous to have a baby here. I also heard so many horror stories. But in the end it all worked out. Theres nothing to be nervous about. Just have the people that sre inportant to you with you at the birth and know what you want . I foumd them to be very natural and flexible here. One thing I did lesrn is you have to ask for what you want or need as opposed to in the states, everything is offered or given. I was to weak for 2 days to walk to my meals so I asked and they brought them for me. I also asked for thr baby, then asked them to bring her back. It was ok. I jad to ask for more pads, new hospital gowns etc. And everyone was really nice and helped me with a smile. I was Pleasantly surprised how accomodating everyone was. Bshaa tova!

shev

Post Wed, Aug 22 2012, 3:38 pm
I had one in the US and one here. I have to say I was very happy, I would def. have another baby here. One thing that bothers me is that I felt I was a lot on my own. The dr. doesn't give me his phone number, if I want to speak to him when he's in a kuppah, they don't allow you to. You only go every six weeks for a checkup. I was overdue by my birth, and I felt so alone, like I don't know what to do.

Tamiri

Post Wed, Aug 22 2012, 3:50 pm
I had my first baby here - nasty experience in 1985 -
three in the U.S. - which I likened to giving birth at the Hilton Hotel
and my last one here in Israel - which wasn't bad at all. True, it wasn't like giving birth in the Hilton, but considering 0 co-pay, no problem with kosher food and people understanding my needs, I'd say it wasn't half bad.
OP, it could be this was a first-time disaster and you'll be fine next time. I remember with my first, though I was very prepared to give birth, there were still things I didn't know about. True, I am reasonably firm and stick up for my rights (like the right to give birth without meds) but the not-knowing part made it harder. I learned for the next time, and so did you!
Mazal tov and put it behind you. You are providing fodder for the Israel nay-sayers.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 22 2012, 4:23 pm
I posted before about my three good pregnancy and delivery experiences in Israel bH.
Posters always write that you only go to doctors every 6 weeks-first of all that's fine. Secondly, you can always walk into a kuppah and ask for a maakav-weight, bp, urine- even if you don't have a dr's appoint. So if you don't want to wait 6 weeks between those checks, you don't have to. Lastly-what will happen if you make your next appointment 4 weeks later. I always go every 4 weeks-because I want to. Regardless of how often the doctor says I should come. I want to go monthly, so I choose the days I want my appointments. I assume every kupah works in a similar way. I make my appointments online, or I call the moked and ask for an appointment on the date that I want.
No doctor has turned me away for coming back too soon.

Tablepoetry

Post Thu, Aug 23 2012, 1:53 am
amother wrote:
I posted before about my three good pregnancy and delivery experiences in Israel bH.
Posters always write that you only go to doctors every 6 weeks-first of all that's fine. Secondly, you can always walk into a kuppah and ask for a maakav-weight, bp, urine- even if you don't have a dr's appoint. So if you don't want to wait 6 weeks between those checks, you don't have to. Lastly-what will happen if you make your next appointment 4 weeks later. I always go every 4 weeks-because I want to. Regardless of how often the doctor says I should come. I want to go monthly, so I choose the days I want my appointments. I assume every kupah works in a similar way. I make my appointments online, or I call the moked and ask for an appointment on the date that I want.

You can go every two weeks if you want. No doctor will turn you away.
Back in my day, not that long ago, tipat chalav did a ma'akav on pregnant moms (bp, urine, etc)-- isn't that still available?

cinnamon

Post Thu, Aug 23 2012, 2:23 am
Tablepoetry wrote:
amother wrote:

You can go every two weeks if you want. No doctor will turn you away.
Back in my day, not that long ago, tipat chalav did a ma'akav on pregnant moms (bp, urine, etc)-- isn't that still available?

yes it is. I don't bother but a friend of mine goes every month or so.

slushiemom

Post Thu, Aug 23 2012, 3:44 am
I gave birth twice at Shaarei Tzedek, and because I knew I wouldn't be able to navigate the system in Hebrew, or speak up for my needs while in labor, I hired an AMAZING doula.

I"m iyH due with my 3rd after sukkot, and if all goes well, and I'm low risk at the end I plan on giving birth at the natural birthing center in Ein Karem. I'm really excited about it, I took the tour and it's gorgeous. It'll come out to only about 1000 nis more than I would have spent on a doula, and I'm obviously not going with a doula as a private midwife is included in the price. From what I've seen of the center, it would eliminate a lot of your complaints...

sara_s

Post Mon, Nov 05 2012, 9:16 am
Slushiemom - what was your experience with the Hadassah private birthing center?

There's a 1:1 midwife, but since you can;t choose her ahead - is it worth it?

DrMom

Post Mon, Nov 05 2012, 10:03 am
I like the fact that birth is less "managed" here. The default is midwife assistance, not doctor assistance. As someone who is not high-risk and who wants to pretty much do my own thing and labor in peace when I give birth, I consider that a huge plus. The c-section rate is lower here. I'm sure there's a connection...

I could eat and drink if I wanted to while in labor. That is less common in the US, I understand. I didn't hav eto be hooked up to an IV line. I wanted to labor in the shower, so they let me. "Call me if you need me." Ah... solitude. I could chat with DH through the shower door if I wanted company.

I didn't mind the aftercare, although I hate sharing rooms (no choice where I gave birth). Yeah, they don't bring food to your room at midnight, but where I gave birth, you can bring food with you and use the fridges in the recovery ward, so I came with bran flakes/fruit/yogurt and was quite happy. I had no epidural, so I could walk around after birth. I left the maternity ward to stroll around outside during the hours the baby was in the nursery and nobody complained (then again, I didn't ask ...). One of my roommates had a c-section and had trouble walking. I brought her food on a little tray. It was all very relaxed.

Based on what I've read, I'd find policies in the US to be too rigid.

Hashemlovesme

Post Mon, Nov 05 2012, 11:20 am
the price Wink

op, I'm sorry you had a bad experience. Did you have any labor support (other than dh)? Someone older, fluent in Hebrew, someone to express your needs for you? I truly believe that bringing a doula/private midwife or the like (I bring a close family friend who is more like a mother figure to with me) is a must. I am with you 100% on the difficulty w/ getting a Dr. appt, even when you want to squeeze yourself btwn appts, even when it is an emergency, but I have gone to the night Dr once or twice. I really don't have what to compare to B"H I had 3 great births at Sharei Tzedek, but A LOT of things are different (read better) in America, this is just one of them. BTW I've heard of woman coming here from England b/c there they get sent home about 6 hrs after birth (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). lost of Hug , try to enjoy your new baby, & next time is a long time away, maybe do more research or plan to go "home" or whatever it will take to make you feel comfortable about giving birth again.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions