Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
It's official: I have no self control...
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Jughead

Post Wed, Sep 05 2012, 3:17 pm
Scotty wrote:
hallucinations of a shared hive mind

Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

Tova

Post Sun, Sep 09 2012, 11:57 am
Scotty - when will it be in stores? Was just in our bookstore this a.m. and did not see it. Is it available online or through you?

Thanks!

zissy2004

Post Sun, Sep 09 2012, 12:28 pm
Scotty-you are hysterical LOL
Love love your stories!
Btw I always imagined you to be a bubby LOL so imagine my surprise when I see yr mazel tov engagement notice and subsequently your baby hehe!
Amazing talent! Looking forward to your next story(ies) in Binah!

A git yuhr!

Zehava

Post Sun, Sep 09 2012, 1:08 pm
Scotty so ur the great Etka gittel shwartz? Hurray!!! I feel like I Just met a celebrity in the elevator!!! You mean in between all the paparazzi you still have time to be on imamother?? Or is this your rep posting?? Gosh I love your writing style every word is so exquisite it's a piece of art. I've been gobbling books for the last 15 years ( no kidding) and I'm pretty critical, so if I say you're good u really are!! I love you!! Keep going!!!

September June

Post Sun, Sep 09 2012, 8:57 pm
Scotty, just FYI I only bought the Binah R"H edition for your story. I have some self control and I only peeked at your story and
Hidden: 

Rosie gets a shidduch!

Scotty

Post Wed, Sep 12 2012, 2:03 am
YAY! Comments! Like finding hot chocolate chip cookies coming out of the oven when you drop by for an unexpected visit!

September June: oooh! I didn't realize it was coming out this week! *scurries to read my copy* It was SO MUCH FUN to write. And got into the book at eleventh hour once it was done because it was too much fun not to... so glad you peeked!!

Zehava - you just made my day! (I love the "celebrity in the elevator" image...) Sheesh. Celebrity? Really? Big-time blush here. So glad and honored you enjoy! Thanks for the rah-rah-rah boom-de-ay...!

Zissy2004 - LOL to you too. I love being mistaken for a Bubby. I spent the past ten years being asked if I'm still in high school, so it's wonderful to have it even out now (as long as the person doing the Bubby-asking hasn't actually SEEN me yet. Then I'd be insulted, I suppose.)

Tova- hooray! Thanks for checking already! According to our rep at the plant the books should be bound and done by R"H, which means they ship to our distributor's warehouse and from there to the rest of the world. You should be Imy"H getting it in stores a few days after R"H/before Y"K.

doll girl

Post Wed, Sep 12 2012, 10:39 am
Hooray for the new book! I can't wait to read it. The only reason I buy the binah was to read your serials. And I did have a sneak peak on this weeks issue at mom's house and its splendid. Your way of writing makes the words come alive and I actually find myself transported to the era you write about. Great work, keep it up.. We are waiting for another one..

zigi

Post Wed, Sep 12 2012, 10:50 am
looking forward to your next project, I miss full harvest. I had to read it as soon as I brought home bina. I had no self control and read the rh story. it was really good. it left me wanting more!

with a smile :)

Post Fri, Sep 14 2012, 1:57 am
Mazel Tov Etka Gittel! I'm looking forward to the new book and loved your story in this weeks Binah.

ILOVELIFE

Post Wed, Sep 19 2012, 7:17 pm
just saw an ad for the book in Binah. Is it in the stores already?

Scotty

Post Wed, Sep 19 2012, 9:22 pm
Oh dear goodness.

I know I have it on record here that you can use this book to kill cockroaches with, but I must make a redaction of that careless statement.

Ladies, you can kill a MOUSE with one of these monsters. They are ENORMOUS! Elephantine! Monstrously delightful!! (Yes, I am biased. But not about the mouse part. Maybe we ought to have a what-have-you-used-this-book-for promotion, where the most creative reverse-engineering of Full Harvest gets a free... uh... erm... drag harrow? Seed drill?)

The books came in TODAY. And of course we had to race down immediately to see how they look. And were immediately struck dumb (a miracle unto itself) at the sheer size of the thing. It's encyclopedic! And the pictures and illustrations are so utterly (dare I say it?) cute! And the turkeys are... well, turkeyish.

Downright giddiness here at Chez Schwartz.

Lakewood folks should have them in stores tonight, New York imamothers tomorrow (if they aren't out on shelves ask by the front desk, it means they're still unpacking the boxes) with other locations receiving their copies as soon as the delivery trucks/shipments get delivered/mailed. (If your community doesn't have a Judaica shop, my rep tells me israelbookshop.com carries it. If your Judaica shop doesn't have it in, let me know - I'll pass it on to the lovely IBS people.) Binah subscribers who did the Binah Order-Thon thingy should be getting it courtesy of US Mail as per that august institution's delivery schedule - I think the Binah shipment went out this afternoon. Schwartz relatives should be getting it as soon as I see 'em (which had better be soon, because storing even ten of these megaliths is no joke.)

A parting thought: not sure what possessed me to include all that extra bonus stuff. There's a book's worth of extras - what was I THINKING? (Certainly not, "This book will take all summer and spring and will be used to kill mice.")

Enjoy! Thanks everyone for all the totally fab feedback - It's so exciting to finally be able to share this!

September June

Post Wed, Sep 19 2012, 9:29 pm
I'm so excited, Scotty!
Good Jewish fiction is hard to come by.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Sep 27 2012, 9:53 am
[quote="Scotty"]Oh dear goodness.

I know I have it on record here that you can use this book to kill cockroaches with, but I must make a redaction of that careless statement.

Ladies, you can kill a MOUSE with one of these monsters.] [quote]

Uh, do we want to know how you know this? Dancing
Mazel tov on this newest delivery. Can we put you and all the other imamother writers* (that I know of) on a cloning list? We need good writers.

(*Yes, you too, Riva)

sky

Post Thu, Sep 27 2012, 11:58 am
I really enjoyed both the Rosh Hashana and Succos stories.

They are such different styles, and both so good.

(BTW, I loved the idea about collecting forks)

chocolate fondue

Post Thu, Oct 04 2012, 9:33 pm
Can't wait to read it.

Loved the Sardines story too. Does that sci fi 'series' have a collective title, Scotty? I'm asking 'l'toeles' - I have a surprise for you.

September June

Post Thu, Oct 04 2012, 10:46 pm
I got my hands on a copy of Full Harvest and read it over Yom Tov. The plot was so heavy. Nothing nice happened. Nearly everyone was sick/dying/depressed. They killed themselves to plant their crop and it failed 2 years in a row Sad
In the beginning of the book, I felt like banging Pa over the head with my copy of Full Harvest. Your kids are killing themselves to plant a crop GO HELP!! Any reason why he was so... not there?

I loved learning and homesteading and the history part was mighty interesting.

Now I need something to read for the 2nd half of Yom Tov.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Oct 05 2012, 8:20 am
September June wrote:
I got my hands on a copy of Full Harvest and read it over Yom Tov. The plot was so heavy. Nothing nice happened. Nearly everyone was sick/dying/depressed. They killed themselves to plant their crop and it failed 2 years in a row Sad
In the beginning of the book, I felt like banging Pa over the head with my copy of Full Harvest. Your kids are killing themselves to plant a crop GO HELP!! Any reason why he was so... not there?

I loved learning and homesteading and the history part was mighty interesting.

Now I need something to read for the 2nd half of Yom Tov.

Well, Riva has a new book, a short story collection called Prisms.
I don't know if there's any more "quality fiction you can lose yourself in" out there than these suggestions. If you want bios, these are all worth the financial and time investment: Rebbetzin Kanievsky, As Long as I Live and (haven't read these yet) Rabbi Lau's bio and Rav Nosson Tzvi.

And P.S. to Scotty: LOVED catching up with Pace. One of the only stories I read this yom tov that wasn't in the "Existential Succos Simcha*" mode. (What's up with that?!! Seemed like all the mags were in cahoots.)

*Yes, E.S.S. would make an excellent name and all that.

sunny90

Post Fri, Oct 05 2012, 8:36 am
I was looking for the original story about Pace and I forgot which issue it was in. Does anyone remember?

chocolate fondue

Post Sat, Oct 06 2012, 7:42 pm
It was in the Pesach story supplement

rae gi

Post Sat, Oct 06 2012, 9:59 pm
Hi Scotty. Congratulations on your new book being published. Your name has been much bandied about when their is discussion of contemporary Jewish writers. Kol Ha'Kavod! Cheers
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room