Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
What is a 'typical' pre-fast meal?
Previous  1  2  3

Pre-fast meal:
Dairy  
 2%  [ 3 ]
Fleishig  
 97%  [ 101 ]
Total Votes : 104

Ruchel

Post Wed, Sep 26 2012, 3:29 pm
Grandmama wrote:
Ruchel wrote:
Checked my grandparents interview....

saba (chassidish): Before Kippur, they ate twice the same menu, at lunch and around 4, but nothing special. Fast was broken on cakes, cookies, leikech. The following meal one or two hours after shul was also nothing special.

sabta (sefardi): Before Kippur, a rice soup, fried fish, chicken and steamed veggies
Sugary drink and sugary parve cake/cookies to break the fast.
Then a meal with the leftovers of the previous meal, and lemonade/lemon juice.

Yom Kippur is a yom tov. What does nothing special mean? It should be like a Shabbos or Yom Tov meal with kreplach added on as a tradition.
Some people prepare beautiful complicated foods every Shabbos, then this day is no different. I prepare simply every Shabbos, and do the same for erev Yom Kippur as well. Still there is baked or boiled fish, chicken, meat, side dishes like ferfel, kugel, tzimmes, and dips for the chala as well as soup with kreplach. It is a regular full meal. With cake, fruit, and compote for dessert.
Fast can be broken on cake, and shnapps, of course, (by most of the men I know) but then a full meal is served an hour later, depending on the individual's needs.

I usually don't eat the meal after the fast, but I do serve it to those that want to wash and eat it.
Coffee and cake is enough for me after a fast.

Grandmama, maybe it's a chassidish thing to do nothing special? I don't know. This is what my grandfather told me. No kreplach or nothing special, so this is our way Smile

Yes, we do a full meal after some cake or whatever to break the fast on. No alcohol in our custom, as far as I was told.

Zus

Post Wed, Sep 26 2012, 7:42 pm
What's the deal with the egg and ash?
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur