Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Which overnight camp did you go to/do you send your kids to?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother

Post Tue, May 28 2013, 7:56 pm
Shira
Sternberg-pioneers
Chedvah
Nvei Ashdod

hotmom

Post Tue, May 28 2013, 8:06 pm
I went to bnos

amother

Post Tue, May 28 2013, 9:00 pm
Shira for 7 yrs.
Not sure where I'd send my kids or at what age...I guess we'll see where their friends & class-mates go...

rahel- the european camps are very very VERY different than the american sleep-away camps.

Didi

Post Wed, May 29 2013, 5:36 am
I went to Moshava Ennismore as a camper, IO as staff, this summer will be working in Nesher and my kids will be in camp there.

watergirl

Post Wed, May 29 2013, 5:45 am
chanchy123 wrote:
Shabatiscoming and RachelEve which Moshava were you in?
I was in Wild Rose as a staff member in the summer of 1998 I hated it. My parents were very active in Bnei Akiva so they were there many many years as both staff members and campers. Actually my Bubby went when it was still in Rolling Praire Indiana.
We don't really have sleep away camps for DL in Israel (there are are a few but very expensive and predominantly anglo). I couldn't imagine sending my kids away for so long. I guess it's a mentality thing because you all seemed to have gone to camp and even had enjoyed it.

I was also at Wild Rose, but as a camper. LOVED LOVED Moshava, and I went on Mach Hach Ba Aretz also. I met my best friend there when I was 12, and I remember even then she said we wouldn't send our kids there, that we would be too frum! And you know what? Shes right! My daughter wants to go to Camp Dina. We'll see next year...

watergirl

Post Wed, May 29 2013, 5:53 am
chanchy123 wrote:
justmom wrote:
Moshava-- Wisconsin seems to be friendlier than the one in Penn.

I don't know about Penn. but the people in Wisconsin were pretty snobby I felt very out of place being a non-Chicogoan (even thoguh I WAS a third gen. in Moshava).

I just saw this. I agree that Wisconsin is friendlier than Penn (too many NYers, sorry! Wink ). But I know it can be snobby. It was when I was there, and I WAS a Chicagoan, just didn't go to the same schools the other Chicago kids went to. I didn't make friends with the Chicago kids, but I made friends with the "out of towners", many of whom I am still friends with today. And, btw, did no one tell you that the key to not feeling out of place is to just give in and call it "pop"! Very Happy

yo'ma

Post Wed, May 29 2013, 7:11 am
I wish I could send my kids to sleep away camp. They don't really have anything over here for more than a week or two at a time. I can't send them to the states because it's winter there when it's summer here Wink .

saw50st8

Post Wed, May 29 2013, 7:21 am
What a fun thread!

I did 8 years at Sternberg (1989-1996) and 1 year at Nvei Ashdod.

The local kids here seem to go to Moshava or Mesorah I think, so likely my kids will too if we can afford it.

hotmom

Post Wed, May 29 2013, 8:05 am
Help!! I need a camp for my daughter. She was enrolled in cap TD, but since their fire yesterday they won't open this year.

mandr

Post Wed, May 29 2013, 8:16 am
hotmom wrote:
Help!! I need a camp for my daughter. She was enrolled in cap TD, but since their fire yesterday they won't open this year.

Machaneinu? Oh, now it's called Beiseinu

amother

Post Wed, May 29 2013, 8:55 am
hotmom wrote:

shock what?? fire?? I didnt hear. My niece was supposed to be going too.

amother

Post Wed, May 29 2013, 10:15 am
I went to Sternberg and then to Moshava IO through Machach. I did find it kind of snobby (early 90's), but, there was usually a snobby bunk and the others were basically OK. So you could just ask to be with the out of towners Smile, or not to be in the trendy bunk. Though I don't know what it's like now.

My dd went to Sternberg and goes to an art camp called Tizmoret Shoshana. My ds's go to Mogen Av and Kaylie.

Kfar

Post Wed, May 29 2013, 5:13 pm
Raisin,

I agree that Morasha, Moshava or Lavi may be a good fit for your friend's daughter. If she is coming from something of a conservative background Seneca Lake also may be a good fit for her. My daughters went to Lavi but they are older now, so that was some years ago. Also I believe that all of these camps have a few very OOT kids each year -- Europe, Israel, even Alaska.

amother

Post Wed, May 29 2013, 5:29 pm
Seems like I'll be the first one here who went to Gila and Na'aleh. Anyone else?

imasinger

Post Wed, May 29 2013, 5:55 pm
My DD went to Sternberg/Heller, and then to Camp Bais Yaakov, so she could get one more summer as a camper. My DS went to Magen Av for a few weeks, and to a camp with his yeshiva. My next DD is going to try Camp Malka this year for her first overnight experience.

amother

Post Wed, May 29 2013, 5:57 pm
Viznitz

amother

Post Wed, May 29 2013, 6:55 pm
Kfar wrote:
Raisin,

I agree that Morasha, Moshava or Lavi may be a good fit for your friend's daughter. If she is coming from something of a conservative background Seneca Lake also may be a good fit for her. My daughters went to Lavi but they are older now, so that was some years ago. Also I believe that all of these camps have a few very OOT kids each year -- Europe, Israel, even Alaska.

Seneca Lake. Sniffle, sniffle

I can't find anything from Seneca Lake in those days, just Seneca. Sniffle, sniffle. I miss being a kid. RIP "Uncle" Sid and "Uncle" Dave, original founder of Seneca and Seneca Lake.

forever21

Post Wed, May 29 2013, 7:05 pm
saw50st8: I went to nvei ashdod too! you were there in '96?

amother

Post Wed, May 29 2013, 7:07 pm
TD 1985 -first half it was opened. No water for a few days.
Hadar hatorah 1991

Daughters one went to Camp Bais yaakov. Other daughter goes to Malka.

amother

Post Wed, May 29 2013, 8:17 pm
Camp Bais Yaakov for me.

Machaneinu for my daughters I"H.
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children