Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Are there other religions with so many "rules?"
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Raisin

Post Sun, Nov 11 2012, 3:38 pm
imamiri wrote:
Raisin wrote:
catholics are not allowed to get divorced AT ALL. So if you are a strict catholic and have an abusive husband, (or abusive wife) thats it, you can leave him/her but never remarry in a church. (in some cases you can annul a marriage eg if it was never consummated but I don't know how easy that is) Anglicans also. If you think the aguna issue is bad how about that?

(and yes, some catholic countries do not allow divorce or did not allow divorce until recently)

Also lent is a big deal, I know certain foods are not eaten.

In the standard RCC, you can get an annulment and it's not that hard. It's about money, and if you are willing to pay you can get it.

Also not being able to re-marry in the RCC doesn't destroy your social life the way women chained to deadbeat husbands who won't give a get does as many Catholics are not 100% observant.

Now if you are talking about the out there, crazy Mel Gibson sect/style Catholics, then you are right.

you do know that most Jews are not observant either. I know plenty of non religious Jews who have no get and are in new relationships. Obviously, I am talking about a strict catholic who actually cares about their religion and wants to follow it.

bamamama

Post Sun, Nov 11 2012, 4:10 pm
Raisin wrote:
imamiri wrote:
Raisin wrote:
catholics are not allowed to get divorced AT ALL. So if you are a strict catholic and have an abusive husband, (or abusive wife) thats it, you can leave him/her but never remarry in a church. (in some cases you can annul a marriage eg if it was never consummated but I don't know how easy that is) Anglicans also. If you think the aguna issue is bad how about that?

(and yes, some catholic countries do not allow divorce or did not allow divorce until recently)

In the standard RCC, you can get an annulment and it's not that hard. It's about money, and if you are willing to pay you can get it.

Also not being able to re-marry in the RCC doesn't destroy your social life the way women chained to deadbeat husbands who won't give a get does as many Catholics are not 100% observant.

Now if you are talking about the out there, crazy Mel Gibson sect/style Catholics, then you are right.

you do know that most Jews are not observant either. I know plenty of non religious Jews who have no get and are in new relationships. Obviously, I am talking about a strict catholic who actually cares about their religion and wants to follow it.
not true about Anglcans. It broke off from the RCC because Henry VIII wanted a divorce. I also don't think its fair to say that only the strictest Catholics (or whoever) care about their religion. Simply not true.

zaq

Post Sun, Nov 11 2012, 5:44 pm
It's not only religions that have multifarious rules: so do social groups, some of which tolerate infractions of those rules less than religions tolerate transgressions of their laws. You are probably unaware of your own social group's rules because, if you grew up in that group, you learned them the same way you learned to speak your native tongue and you don't even have to think about them. But if you were a latecomer to the group, you have to learn all the rules from scratch. It can be a monumental task and some people never do manage it all.

Consider, for example, a nouveau riche American marrying into the British aristocracy. The type and number of social rules that this person would have to learn, from who outranks whom and how to address the Queen, to the proper way to use a fork and knife, is staggering.

This is why I turned down Prince Charles when he proposed to me in 1979. (I didn't know about Camilla.) We could easily have had a kosher kitchen installed in each of the royal residences for our use when we visited, but I couldn't see having to learn a whole other masoret over and above my own. Just the one is complicated enough.

imamiri

Post Sun, Nov 11 2012, 5:46 pm
Raisin wrote:
imamiri wrote:
Raisin wrote:

And mainstream Catholics who do care about their religion can easily obtain an annulment in cases of abuse, abandonment, and sometimes even addiction issues.

It's only their crazies (like our burka women crazies) that prevent women from escaping abusive marriages.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Nov 11 2012, 7:12 pm
zaq wrote:
It's not only religions that have multifarious rules: so do social groups, some of which tolerate infractions of those rules less than religions tolerate transgressions of their laws. You are probably unaware of your own social group's rules because, if you grew up in that group, you learned them the same way you learned to speak your native tongue and you don't even have to think about them. But if you were a latecomer to the group, you have to learn all the rules from scratch. It can be a monumental task and some people never do manage it all.

Consider, for example, a nouveau riche American marrying into the British aristocracy. The type and number of social rules that this person would have to learn, from who outranks whom and how to address the Queen, to the proper way to use a fork and knife, is staggering.

This is why I turned down Prince Charles when he proposed to me in 1979. (I didn't know about Camilla.) We could easily have had a kosher kitchen installed in each of the royal residences for our use when we visited, but I couldn't see having to learn a whole other masoret over and above my own. Just the one is complicated enough.

Come now. That wasn't the only reason. At least not for me, a few months later. (And good job, didn't know he was on the rebound.)

Post Sun, Nov 11 2012, 7:14 pm
Being an untouchable in India has to be the religion with one of the most constant rules. When they walk out of their area they must attach a broom to their back so as they walk they can dip and sway side to side to sweep away their footprints. They must also breath into a tin cup so their breath doesn't pollute the air no mater how hot the day and so on.

zaq

Post Sun, Nov 11 2012, 8:21 pm
PinkFridge wrote:

Come now. That wasn't the only reason. At least not for me, a few months later. (And good job, didn't know he was on the rebound.)

OK, to be honest, I didn't think he was such a metziah altogether. He was already 31, didn't seem to have a real job, had to have his girlfriends approved by his mother, was pretty wooden when it came to humor, and not even very strong in the looks department. It's true I told the shadchante I wanted someone who would treat me like a princess, but I didn't think she'd take me that literally!

So why'd you turn him down?

evie

Post Mon, Nov 12 2012, 4:04 am
iluvy wrote:
marina wrote:
I have heard of religious groups with more severe kashrus restrictions, like they can't eat anything almost except for water when traveling, generally they pretty much subsist on vegetarianism and dairy.

My friend's inlaws are Hindu, and they wouldn't come to America for her wedding because they don't eat outside their own home for kashrus reasons. They don't eat TONS of things, like garlic, besides for ANYTHING animal-derived. Another Hindu guy I know told me that growing up his parents had two separate kitchens and were always going crazy making sure everything was separate.

From what I hear, Muslims are also very legalistic. I recently read a quote from an imam bemoaning the practice of "fatwa shopping," in which people go from imam to imam looking for a psak they like Smile.

heehee lol!

Raisin

Post Mon, Nov 12 2012, 4:35 am
bamamama wrote:
Raisin wrote:
imamiri wrote:
Raisin wrote:

not true about Anglcans. It broke off from the RCC because Henry VIII wanted a divorce. I also don't think its fair to say that only the strictest Catholics (or whoever) care about their religion. Simply not true.

Its kind of vague. Charles had some issues when he married Camilla, I don't think they were able to remarry in a church. see this quite from an c of e website - and please not, it is only since 2002 that divorced people can remarry in a church.

Quote:
What is the Church's teaching on divorce?
The Church of England wishes all who marry a lifetime of love that grows within God's protection. But we recognise that some marriages do fail for all sorts of sad and painful reasons.

As someone who is divorced, can I marry in church?
There may be a way forward for you to be married again in church. The Church of England agreed in 2002 that divorced people could remarry in church under certain circumstances. However, because the Church views marriage to be lifelong, there is no automatic right to do so and it is left to the discretion of the Priest. Further information about remarriage in church after divorce is available here.

Rodent

Post Mon, Nov 12 2012, 8:38 am
A lot of Charles's issues were lessened when Diana died. Once she was dead those who didn't recognise his divorce as such just saw him as a widower so no issue in remarriage.

grace413

Post Mon, Nov 12 2012, 8:44 am
Rodent wrote:
A lot of Charles's issues were lessened when Diana died. Once she was dead those who didn't recognise his divorce as such just saw him as a widower so no issue in remarriage.

But Camilla's ex was still alive.

sequoia

Post Mon, Nov 12 2012, 12:59 pm
grace413 wrote:
Rodent wrote:

But Camilla's ex was still alive.

Still is.

He was at the wedding with his wife, who has since died.

marina

Post Mon, Nov 12 2012, 1:43 pm
DrMom wrote:
evie wrote:
marina wrote:
I have heard of religious groups with more severe kashrus restrictions, like they can't eat anything almost except for water when traveling, generally they pretty much subsist on vegetarianism and dairy.

Jeepers!

Jainists?

yes. Thank you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J.....rules

evie

Post Tue, Nov 13 2012, 6:20 am
Thanks, this has been really interesting! Smile

bamamama

Post Tue, Nov 13 2012, 1:44 pm
Raisin wrote:
bamamama wrote:
Raisin wrote:
imamiri wrote:
Raisin wrote:

Its kind of vague. Charles had some issues when he married Camilla, I don't think they were able to remarry in a church. see this quite from an c of e website - and please not, it is only since 2002 that divorced people can remarry in a church.

Quote:
The Church of England wishes all who marry a lifetime of love that grows within God's protection. But we recognise that some marriages do fail for all sorts of sad and painful reasons.

There may be a way forward for you to be married again in church. The Church of England agreed in 2002 that divorced people could remarry in church under certain circumstances. However, because the Church views marriage to be lifelong, there is no automatic right to do so and it is left to the discretion of the Priest. Further information about remarriage in church after divorce is available here.

I thought that with Charles and Camilla that it was an issue of the rules of succession and not religion? Who knows. There's Duke Whatshisname and Whatshername Wallace from way back when, too - he, AFAIK, was single and she was a divorcee so he abdicated the throne to marry her.

zaq

Post Tue, Nov 13 2012, 1:56 pm
The Duke and Duchess of Windsor, formerly King Edward VIII and Wallace Warfield Simpson. I suspect part of the animosity against her was because she was American. The British people seem to have accepted Camilla despite her divorce, though absent an act of transcendent heroism, she'll never be as popular as Diana.

bamamama

Post Tue, Nov 13 2012, 2:27 pm
zaq wrote:
The Duke and Duchess of Windsor, formerly King Edward VIII and Wallace Warfield Simpson. I suspect part of the animosity against her was because she was American. The British people seem to have accepted Camilla despite her divorce, though absent an act of transcendent heroism, she'll never be as popular as Diana.

Thanks for the details, zaq.

Rivka32

Post Sun, Nov 25 2012, 8:48 pm
I've heard that some of the more traditional gypsy or Roma groups follow onerous purity laws where, among other things, accidentally touching any part of one's own body below the waist results in impurity.

The numerous caste restrictions that Hindus follow must be pretty tedious. I also know that traditionally many Hindus believed that merely leaving the subcontinent was inauspicious though I'm not sure how many hold to that nowadays.

shiffycc

Post Sun, Nov 25 2012, 11:50 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
There's a cute joke about little Chaim Schwartz who used to play with his neighbor Jimmy O'Rourke. One day, in December, Chaim was in Jimmy's house and noticed the tree. In short order Mr. O'Rourke marches Chaim back to his house and rips into his parents over how ill-mannered a child they had. This was quite surprising and they asked him to elaborate. "He saw our tree and right away started rudely asking all sorts of questions. What kind of a tree does it have to be? How tall? What do you do with the fallen needles? What kind of ornaments are you allowed to put on?" Etc.

That. Is. So. Funny!

etky

Post Mon, Nov 26 2012, 12:36 am
bamamama wrote:
Raisin wrote:
bamamama wrote:
Raisin wrote:
imamiri wrote:
Raisin wrote:

Quote:

I thought that with Charles and Camilla that it was an issue of the rules of succession and not religion? Who knows. There's Duke Whatshisname and Whatshername Wallace from way back when, too - he, AFAIK, was single and she was a divorcee so he abdicated the throne to marry her.

I really don't know about the religious aspect in terms of the C of E, but there is indeed a succession issue. Moot, really, since the couple married later in life and have no offspring. Also, there is controversy over whether Camilla can ever be crowned Queen consort.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics