Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
What do you look for in a novel?
Previous  1  2

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Dec 14 2012, 8:30 am
r_ch wrote:
shiffycc wrote:
momfrombrooklyn wrote:
Well written, Believable, Interesting Characters- Funny, and/or sad. Most frum novel do not have these things- but alot of frum true books- essays, biographies, memoirs etc. do -

You're right. But personally, I need fiction. I have a little too much "Real-Life" in my real life, KWIM?

Then what is fiction for you? Smile

I'll tell you what it is for me: I'm looking for a some length, which you don't get in essays, and the opportunity to lose myself a bit. It doesn't have to be something exotic, just good, intelligent writing.

gp2.0

Post Fri, Dec 14 2012, 10:25 am
The best novels have a little of everything. Intrigue, suspense, well-rounded characters, humor, romance, pathos, simile, metaphor, inside jokes between characters or between narrator and reader that are referenced later in the book. Believable dialogue. Characters and scenes I can relate to as well as characters and scenes I either wish I could experience or am thankful never to experience. No threads left hanging. No explaining things multiple times - readers aren't stupid. Most of all what I love in a novel is a theme. For example in a novel involving an ice cream store I like sentences such as "his expression was colder than our walk in freezer" or "the sweetness of her smile seemed forced, like a triple scoop with one too many toppings on it."

r_ch

Post Sat, Dec 15 2012, 2:06 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
The best novels have a little of everything. Intrigue, suspense, well-rounded characters, humor, romance, pathos, simile, metaphor, inside jokes between characters or between narrator and reader that are referenced later in the book. Believable dialogue. Characters and scenes I can relate to as well as characters and scenes I either wish I could experience or am thankful never to experience. No threads left hanging. No explaining things multiple times - readers aren't stupid. Most of all what I love in a novel is a theme. For example in a novel involving an ice cream store I like sentences such as "his expression was colder than our walk in freezer" or "the sweetness of her smile seemed forced, like a triple scoop with one too many toppings on it."

Cute:)

r_ch

Post Sat, Dec 15 2012, 2:07 pm
PinkFridge wrote:

I'll tell you what it is for me: I'm looking for a some length, which you don't get in essays, and the opportunity to lose myself a bit. It doesn't have to be something exotic, just good, intelligent writing.

Thanks.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room